News:

Urgh, this is what I hate about PD.com, it is the only site in existence where a perfectly good spam thread can be misused for high quality discussions.  I hate you all.

Main Menu

Unofficial What are you Reading Thread?

Started by Thurnez Isa, December 03, 2006, 04:11:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aestetix

War and Peace.

One of the longest and most meticulously developed books I've ever encountered. However, digging into Tolstoy's philosophy on life makes it completely worth it. I'm about halfway through right now, hoping to have it finished in a month or two.

Faust

Finished Isabel allenade's The House Of Spirits last night, the writing style is simple enough, possibly because its translated or something, but the story is well crafted.
I have cosmic trigger lined up next and maybe then i will go back and give american gods another chance.
Sleepless nights at the chateau

Jasper

Quote from: aestetix on March 07, 2008, 02:54:26 PM
War and Peace.

One of the longest and most meticulously developed books I've ever encountered. However, digging into Tolstoy's philosophy on life makes it completely worth it. I'm about halfway through right now, hoping to have it finished in a month or two.

I never could get past page 100 or so.  How do you stay interested?

aestetix

Quote from: Dr. Felix Mackay on March 12, 2008, 10:17:56 PM
Quote from: aestetix on March 07, 2008, 02:54:26 PM
War and Peace.

I never could get past page 100 or so.  How do you stay interested?

The first 200 pages or so is all character development, so it can be boring at times. Once you get through that, things start picking up. I'm currently at ~750 and can't put it down.

Cain

George Crile - Charlie Wilson's War

Most recent version, with additional material.

AFK

My annual re-reading of The Martian Chronicles by Ray Bradbury.  I think Arthur C Clarke's passing got my head into space stuff again and decided to start it early this year. 
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Triple Zero

i'm about 2/3rd into the Language Instinct now

i can recommend this book to anyone.
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Cain

Pinker's The Blank Slate is a fascinating read as well.

Only got to read it through once, sadly.

Bu🤠ns

Reeducation

Beyond good and evil, by that Niiitzschehzezeze. Nietsche? Niezsche?
And i'm reading a book about human anatomy, and stuff, from the year 1951. (It has good pictures.)
I am very calm

Cainad (dec.)

Quote from: Disorder on March 31, 2008, 09:15:36 AM
Beyond good and evil, by that Niiitzschehzezeze. Nietsche? Niezsche?

"Nietchszhquzecoatlphrnf"

Triple Zero

I write it Nietzschke, to differentiate from the false Nietzsche.
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Cain

If you like Beyond Good and Evil, I highly recommend The Geneaology of Morals.

I'm reading The Art of Memetics, and The Closing of the American Mind.  The latter is going to be useful camoflage, I'm thinking.

The Littlest Ubermensch

Currently reading Gravity's Rainbow. Love it so far.
[witticism/philosophical insight/nifty quote to prove my intelligence to the forum]

LISTEN TO MY SHOW THURSDAY 5-7 EST

THEN GO TO MY MYSPACE

Payne

Wryd Sister: Terry Pratchett

For light relief from that;

Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire: Edward Gibbon