News:

PD.com: We occur at random among your children.

Main Menu

Re-calibrating the psyche

Started by Jez, July 23, 2013, 08:38:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

This board has been really instrumental for me in restructuring my self and new direction. If I ever give a TED talk, I'm gonna give a shoutout to PeeDee. Maybe we need a gang sign.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

The Johnny

From something i coincidentally re-read today:

There is in our reflection an anomalous alliance, but unavoidable, between the question for the singular characteristics, the self-world of every man and the enigma of the force that binds us to others and the world. That question for identity adquires a lot of faces; memory, augury, sleepiness and wishes, the conscience of one's own thoughts and the weirdness of inclinations that we suppose a foreign origin, the nostalgy of the own body, forever lost and which identity seems to speak of territories that surpass the margins of our perspective.
The question for the identity comes sometimes from the uncommon aspiration to model oneself: be it according to other figures, other profiles, other destinies, or the impulses of a story that is overimplied, inscribed in the margins of a memory disseminated in body and language.

But inevitably, the interrogation for identity confronts the impossibility to pry unto oneself to comprehend everything, and condemns it to stay in an uncertain periphery of the consciousness of self, shaken by the contradictions between exaltation and fright, in the phantom of oneself. Our figure is offered to our own sight, as if it was ripped from the daily silence and the necessary profile of multiple masks, heterogeneous, discordant and conjuncted with the ones we invest in and give form to our physonomies. Not less disconcerting is the image of ourselves that reveals obliquely the attachment to the world, others, to objects; it is not less opaque what is insinuated of our own identity the passions and deliriums with which we poblate the apparent indifference of our daily lives, the apparent naturality of our rituals. From those questions without answers the unmeasurables masks of the others do not escape. The permanent abandonment and reiteration of faces that transit from a will of absence to the exaltation of the grotesque.
Reflecting and acting over oneself seems inherent to the confrontation of man with its own image, with its own finitude, with the always present regimen of decay and stolen impulses of a body condemned to experience of its own impossibility, of the caducity of body and passion, of the limits of remembering and the restrictions of the imagination of the future, of the getting-losts-in-time. The certainty of identity is condemned to oscilate between the daily testimony of the conflict between necessity of inteligibility of oneself and the others and the eclipse and fatigue of capacity. The tantrums of the perception of oneself, of others, the environment, conjugate with the sensation of pleasure that comes from a moment of aprehension of the sense, that comes from the view of the subject over itself. Non withstanding, the reflection over itself, lacks a a proper history, of a origin or a recognizable horizon. Reflection, thinking about the world, has been  also intrinsically to think about itself; acting over the world has been since the first instant to act simultaneously over oneself and, like an equivocal game and tortured of truncated analogies and misleading images, acting over oneself and over the categories and figures of the own identity has been a stubborn and sometimes unconfessed way to act over the world.
The history of the tensions that give form to the figure of the own identity extend way beyond that of any will and power of the memory.
<<My image in some places, is of a monster of some kind who wants to pull a string and manipulate people. Nothing could be further from the truth. People are manipulated; I just want them to be manipulated more effectively.>>

-B.F. Skinner