News:

What about those weed gangsters that are mad about you giving speeches in Bumfuck, Maine?

Main Menu

PICS VIII: 10% LARGER THAN PICS VII

Started by Anna Mae Bollocks, April 12, 2013, 04:16:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bruno

I'd like to know what their "random"-ization method is. They seem to be selecting from three collections of first, second and third frames. The first frame is the setup, the third frame is the punchline, and the middle frame is the one between the first frame and the last frame.

It feels to me that too many of them make too much sense to be , like, computer random. More like a person is haphazardly assembling jokes from the sorted parts of other jokes.
Formerly something else...

The Johnny

<<My image in some places, is of a monster of some kind who wants to pull a string and manipulate people. Nothing could be further from the truth. People are manipulated; I just want them to be manipulated more effectively.>>

-B.F. Skinner

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Emo Howard on January 08, 2015, 08:32:45 AM
I'd like to know what their "random"-ization method is. They seem to be selecting from three collections of first, second and third frames. The first frame is the setup, the third frame is the punchline, and the middle frame is the one between the first frame and the last frame.

It feels to me that too many of them make too much sense to be , like, computer random. More like a person is haphazardly assembling jokes from the sorted parts of other jokes.

To be honest, I think that's just your pattern-seeking  brain finding "sense" where it really is just a random assemblage of first, second, and third frames.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

That, and the fact that the comics are drawn from a fairly limited set of subject matter.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Bruno

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on January 08, 2015, 04:20:56 PM

To be honest, I think that's just your pattern-seeking  brain finding "sense" where it really is just a random assemblage of first, second, and third frames.

Probably. I did notice one frame appearing once as a third frame, and once as a second.

It is all blue guy on left, green guy on right, with occasional frames of one appearing alone.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Emo Howard on January 08, 2015, 04:26:50 PM

Probably. I did notice one frame appearing once as a third frame, and once as a second.

It is all blue guy on left, green guy on right, with occasional frames of one appearing alone.

Do you read Cyanide & Happiness? Because that shit is just basically pretty interchangeable.

Rococo Modem Basilisk

Quote from: rong on January 08, 2015, 05:13:54 AM
Quote from: Emo Howard on January 08, 2015, 02:45:44 AM
http://explosm.net/rcg

I don't even know why it's funny.

:lulz: :? :lulz: :? :lulz: :? :lulz:

does anyone know if there is anything like a formal humor analysis method?  something like sentence diagrams? 
i know there are different types of jokes - but they should, then, be classifiable, right?
i'm not having much luck with internet searches but it something i randomly get interested in and then forget about.

With regard to theories of humor:
https://web.media.mit.edu/~minsky/papers/jokes.cognitive.txt
http://www.lucifer.com/~sasha/articles/humor.html
http://myweb.brooklyn.liu.edu/jlyttle/Humor/Theory.htm

There are several joke generators, of varying degrees of complexity, but none of them really adequately test these models of humor -- because they lack the ability to model enough of the human mind to determine what consitutes novelty or transgression. Most of them are basically just pun generators.

I am not "full of hate" as if I were some passive container. I am a generator of hate, and my rage is a renewable resource, like sunshine.

Trivial

Sexy Octopus of the Next Noosphere Horde

There are more nipples in the world than people.

Bruno

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on January 08, 2015, 04:33:40 PM
Quote from: Emo Howard on January 08, 2015, 04:26:50 PM

Do you read Cyanide & Happiness? Because that shit is just basically pretty interchangeable.

Sometimes, and sometimes.

That blue guy / green guy 3 panel horse has definitely been beaten above and beyond the minimum acceptable amount.

axod

Quote from: Trivial on January 09, 2015, 12:50:33 AM

Somehow I feel the punch line is sub/supraliminal, in this case.  Very crafty.
just this

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I think there's a Garfield randomizer that works pretty well, too.

Aha! Here: http://www.bgreco.net/garfield/

Trivial

Sexy Octopus of the Next Noosphere Horde

There are more nipples in the world than people.

ñͤͣ̄ͦ̌̑͗͊͛͂͗ ̸̨̨̣̺̼̣̜͙͈͕̮̊̈́̈͂͛̽͊ͭ̓͆ͅé ̰̓̓́ͯ́́͞

P E R   A S P E R A   A D   A S T R A

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Bruno

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on January 09, 2015, 05:29:26 AM
I think there's a Garfield randomizer that works pretty well, too.

Aha! Here: http://www.bgreco.net/garfield/

Neat! I've driven a few people up the wall with the Explosm randomizer. Time to double down!