News:

MysticWicks endorsement: "In other words, Discordianism, like postmodernism, means never having to say your sorry."

Main Menu

REVEAL YOURSELVES

Started by Dr. Cow Ass, September 22, 2012, 08:54:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bu🤠ns

I think one of the things that keeps me coming back to PD is the ability for the community to take a failtarded OP and transform the thread into some rather insightful discussion :lulz:

Anna Mae Bollocks

Quote from: Internet Jesus on September 23, 2012, 05:08:32 PM
Quote from: TEXAS FAIRIES FOR ALL YOU SPAGS on September 23, 2012, 04:57:47 PM

Fundamentalism = a license to be retarded, treat people like crap, and FEEL GREAT ABOUT IT!

And never once take ownership of the consequences of your decisions.

Which, if I dig enough, I suppose I can find a silver lining in.  Most good and upstanding AMERICANS have absolutely no problem not taking ownership.  Fundamentalists at least have the rudimentary need for a sky daddy (or suitable earthly representative) to absolve them of the need to take ownership of the consequences.

Absolved by the BLOOD-O-JESUS(TM). It's like OXI-CLEAN for your brutality and fuckups.
Scantily-Clad Inspector of Gigantic and Unnecessary Cashews, Texas Division

Internet Jesus

Quote from: TEXAS FAIRIES FOR ALL YOU SPAGS on September 23, 2012, 08:04:31 PM
Quote from: Internet Jesus on September 23, 2012, 05:08:32 PM
Quote from: TEXAS FAIRIES FOR ALL YOU SPAGS on September 23, 2012, 04:57:47 PM

Fundamentalism = a license to be retarded, treat people like crap, and FEEL GREAT ABOUT IT!

And never once take ownership of the consequences of your decisions.

Which, if I dig enough, I suppose I can find a silver lining in.  Most good and upstanding AMERICANS have absolutely no problem not taking ownership.  Fundamentalists at least have the rudimentary need for a sky daddy (or suitable earthly representative) to absolve them of the need to take ownership of the consequences.

Absolved by the BLOOD-O-JESUS(TM). It's like OXI-CLEAN for your brutality and fuckups.

BILLY MAYS HERE FOR THE BLOOD-O-JESUS!

Fuck, now I need to see this.  Godamn you cocaine!  Why'd you have to take Billy so young!
HAHAHA DISREGARD THAT, I SUCK COCKS!

Dildo Argentino

Quote from: Internet Jesus on September 22, 2012, 08:06:10 PM
do you all seriously believe Discordianism as for real and for true, or is it just a useful mental frame for viewing life?
[...] 
I can't quite get a grasp on whether this whole thing is to be taken seriously or if it is to be thought about as a sort of Koan?

Been pondering this quite a while, still not sure if there's a difference.

Keeps me on my toes, I guess.
Not too keen on rigor, myself - reminds me of mortis

Dildo Argentino

Quote from: Internet Jesus on September 22, 2012, 08:07:41 PM
Links or it didn't happen!  Okay, I just need to go read this individual.  Someone hook a brother up.

This. Story sounds promising.

Internet Jesus

Quote from: holist on September 24, 2012, 08:16:59 AM
do you all seriously believe Discordianism as for real and for true, or is it just a useful mental frame for viewing life?
[...] 
I can't quite get a grasp on whether this whole thing is to be taken seriously or if it is to be thought about as a sort of Koan?

I think it's like being a pro-wrestling fan.  On the one hand there's the willing suspension of disbelief that is involved in any form of entertainment or religion, but on the other you know it's all bullshit gussied up and kayfabed out to hell and back in order to look kinda sorta real. 

Not too far from most religions, except there are less marks and more smarks.  No disrespect intended.

Dildo Argentino

Quote from: Internet Jesus on September 24, 2012, 09:09:18 AM
[...] 

I think it's like being a pro-wrestling fan.  On the one hand there's the willing suspension of disbelief that is involved in any form of entertainment or religion, but on the other you know it's all bullshit gussied up and kayfabed out to hell and back in order to look kinda sorta real. 

Not too far from most religions, except there are less marks and more smarks.  No disrespect intended.

None taken, I applaud your simile. Only in this case, along with the suspension of disbelief, there is also a suspension of belief aspect. I mean, the situation with pro wrestling is asymmetrical (the unsuspended-disbelief-state is the real real). For me, with Eris and that lot (the Tao, etc.) it is actually quite symmetrical. It wobbles, though.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Cain on September 22, 2012, 08:01:36 PM
It's Buddhism and Wicca and Discordianism and Chaos Magic(k).  Oh, and cafe Druidism.

Ok, and that leads to a semi-serious question I have about this board - do you all seriously believe Discordianism as for real and for true, or is it just a useful mental frame for viewing life?  Not trying to stick my dick in anyone's mashed potatoes here, but I can't quite get a grasp on whether this whole thing is to be taken seriously or if it is to be thought about as a sort of Koan?

It's an individual thing, really.  Personally, I just use it as the last excuse for being an asshat.

" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Internet Jesus

Quote from: Fidel Castro on September 24, 2012, 02:51:04 PM
It's Buddhism and Wicca and Discordianism and Chaos Magic(k).  Oh, and cafe Druidism.

Ok, and that leads to a semi-serious question I have about this board - do you all seriously believe Discordianism as for real and for true, or is it just a useful mental frame for viewing life?  Not trying to stick my dick in anyone's mashed potatoes here, but I can't quite get a grasp on whether this whole thing is to be taken seriously or if it is to be thought about as a sort of Koan?

It's an individual thing, really.  Personally, I just use it as the last excuse for being an asshat.

Well I knew that about you, kind of. Although a couple of things you've said elsewhere made me question that conclusion.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Internet Jesus on September 24, 2012, 06:31:59 PM

Well I knew that about you, kind of. Although a couple of things you've said elsewhere made me question that conclusion.

There are rumors that I have other, more pleasant motives, but the people spreading those rumors are drug addicts and are not to be trusted.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

Internet Jesus

Quote from: holist on September 24, 2012, 11:32:18 AM
[...] 

None taken, I applaud your simile. Only in this case, along with the suspension of disbelief, there is also a suspension of belief aspect. I mean, the situation with pro wrestling is asymmetrical (the unsuspended-disbelief-state is the real real). For me, with Eris and that lot (the Tao, etc.) it is actually quite symmetrical. It wobbles, though.

Well, there is a sense in which the term smark can be considered derogatory, which isn't what I intended. 

You are correct that it's not a perfect 1 to 1 match here, but being of semi-intelligent white trash stock, wrestling is what I know and it's informed they way I look at a lot in American life.  You have the worked (fake, storyline) aspect and you have the shoot (really for real) aspect.  Things are very rarely just a work or a shoot - in fact things which have been works have misfired and become shoots, and things which have been shoots have become worked angles.

And you can disappear up your own ass trying to figure out the line of demarcation between the two - which in and of itself is a form of being worked.

I find that this applies to a lot of other horseshit in my life.  My company, for example, comes up with different themes every year that were supposed to aspire to in our day to day, but they almost always boil down to "Make an assload of cash and convince our customers that our services are worth spending an assload of cash on us". In that case the specifics here are the work.

Or religion and politics.  Or shit, history itself can sometimes feel like your being worked.

Internet Jesus

Quote from: Fidel Castro on September 24, 2012, 06:34:43 PM
Quote from: Internet Jesus on September 24, 2012, 06:31:59 PM

There are rumors that I have other, more pleasant motives, but the people spreading those rumors are drug addicts and are not to be trusted.

I tend not to trust people that tell me to not believe what I see with my own eyes or believe what I conclude with my own (diseased and drug addled) brain.  If you want me to believe what you're peddling at least make that shit initially believeable.  Save the silly shit for when I'm already too involved to back out.

In other news I'm going to get some of my Thetans audited today..... :lulz:

Dildo Argentino

Quote from: Internet Jesus on September 24, 2012, 06:42:50 PM
Quote from: holist on September 24, 2012, 11:32:18 AM
[...] 

Well, there is a sense in which the term smark can be considered derogatory, which isn't what I intended. 

You are correct that it's not a perfect 1 to 1 match here, but being of semi-intelligent white trash stock, wrestling is what I know and it's informed they way I look at a lot in American life.  You have the worked (fake, storyline) aspect and you have the shoot (really for real) aspect.  Things are very rarely just a work or a shoot - in fact things which have been works have misfired and become shoots, and things which have been shoots have become worked angles.

And you can disappear up your own ass trying to figure out the line of demarcation between the two - which in and of itself is a form of being worked.

I find that this applies to a lot of other horseshit in my life.  My company, for example, comes up with different themes every year that were supposed to aspire to in our day to day, but they almost always boil down to "Make an assload of cash and convince our customers that our services are worth spending an assload of cash on us". In that case the specifics here are the work.

Or religion and politics.  Or shit, history itself can sometimes feel like your being worked.

Well being Eastern European I am not a wrestling expert... we tend to have dancing bears instead. But the best thing I've read about wrestling so far is this (more content, that):
http://homes.chass.utoronto.ca/~ikalmar/illustex/Barthes-wrestling.htm

Actually, I think it's worth ignoring the style, which may seem pretentious, for the discovery that Barthes is actually quite discordian in his thinking. And insightful to boot. Also, keep mind, time of writing, 1957!

Internet Jesus

Quote from: holist on September 24, 2012, 06:59:36 PM
Well being Eastern European I am not a wrestling expert... we tend to have dancing bears instead. But the best thing I've read about wrestling so far is this (more content, that):

There's probably very little in the wrestling angle that would interest someone who wasn't raised on it beyond the outermost edges, but you have a fake thing being offered as a real thing, but it acknowledges its fake and still operates under the notion that its real.  There is reality in it, but its pressed into service of the fake.

Figuring out the specifics is a detail left to the viewer, if the viewer even cares to attempt such an undertaking.  Alternatively you could just be entertained, knowing the whole thing is bullshit but resigning that small little voice to the outer reaches of consciousness for the duration.

Or as someone on the interbutts once said through tears "it's still real to me dammit!"

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Internet Jesus on September 24, 2012, 07:08:59 PM
Quote from: holist on September 24, 2012, 06:59:36 PM

There's probably very little in the wrestling angle that would interest someone who wasn't raised on it beyond the outermost edges, but you have a fake thing being offered as a real thing, but it acknowledges its fake and still operates under the notion that its real.  There is reality in it, but its pressed into service of the fake.

Figuring out the specifics is a detail left to the viewer, if the viewer even cares to attempt such an undertaking.  Alternatively you could just be entertained, knowing the whole thing is bullshit but resigning that small little voice to the outer reaches of consciousness for the duration.

Or as someone on the interbutts once said through tears "it's still real to me dammit!"

I prefer TV preachers, though it's largely the same thing.