News:

PD.com: our ability to recall your stupidity makes elephants look like Alzheimer's patients.

Main Menu

The Unlimited Atlantic Hurricane Season Fread

Started by Suu, August 23, 2011, 02:23:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

East Coast Hustle

It's just gonna be a little wind and rain by the time it gets up here. And there's a pretty good chance it'll be most of the way out to Nova Scotia by then anyway.

DO never take your tropical storm information from NOAA if you want to know what's actually going on. The NHC is basically one big bag of ignorant dogshit.

Also, does this thread mean that I'll never again have to wade through a half-page of weather-related threads in apple talk? :banana:
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Suu

This isn't going to be our only storm threat this season, so we need to keep it all here.

Also, you back on the boat, yet?
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Kai

Quote from: Fuck You One-Eye on August 25, 2011, 03:37:01 PM
It's just gonna be a little wind and rain by the time it gets up here. And there's a pretty good chance it'll be most of the way out to Nova Scotia by then anyway.

DO never take your tropical storm information from NOAA if you want to know what's actually going on. The NHC is basically one big bag of ignorant dogshit.

Also, does this thread mean that I'll never again have to wade through a half-page of weather-related threads in apple talk? :banana:

:cn:
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

Doktor Howl

Quote from: ϗ, M.S. on August 25, 2011, 07:28:40 PM

Hunter Thompson used to flog the NHC mercilessly for their weird scare tactics.
Molon Lube

Disco Pickle

Quote from: Doktor Howl on August 25, 2011, 07:29:43 PM

I clearly remember, when I was much smaller than I am now, the NHC being in cahoots with supermarkets to print "hurricane tracking charts" on all paper bags so you can track the hurricane after you go blow assloads of money on overpriced batteries and rotate out your canned goods.

I'm not saying it was a conspiracy or anything.

"Events in the past may be roughly divided into those which probably never happened and those which do not matter." --William Ralph Inge

"sometimes someone confesses a sin in order to take credit for it." -- John Von Neumann

Kai

Quote from: Doktor Howl on August 25, 2011, 07:29:43 PM

Okay. That still doesn't explain the comments on NOAA.
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Suu

I trust NOAA/NHC more than the fucking Weather Channel any day. No matter how much I want to have Jim Cantore's stormchasing babehs.

Forecasting tracks is inexact, and until they come up with a better method, the one we got is what we got. Yeah, it scares the shit out of people, but better to be crazy prepared than OMGWTFHURRICANE.

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Eater of Clowns

My boss sent everyone working on Sunday an e-mail that said "bring extra food and leave early to get here if you have to" translation:  You are coming in to work.  I demanded hazard pay.

I was laughed at.
Quote from: Pippa Twiddleton on December 22, 2012, 01:06:36 AM
EoC, you are the bane of my existence.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 07, 2014, 01:18:23 AM
EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.

Kai

Quote from: Her Royal Suuness on August 25, 2011, 10:37:12 PM
I trust NOAA/NHC more than the fucking Weather Channel any day. No matter how much I want to have Jim Cantore's stormchasing babehs.

Forecasting tracks is inexact, and until they come up with a better method, the one we got is what we got. Yeah, it scares the shit out of people, but better to be crazy prepared than OMGWTFHURRICANE.

True that. Weather Channel has slightly more weather than the History Channel has history. But not by much. Sensationalist bullshit. At least with NOAA maps I can check the variables and make my own forecast.

Suu

Okay, we're under a watch now. NYC is under a warning. If this thing is packing the surge the NHC/TWC/everyone is saying, guys, Providence is fucked. That barrier cannot withstand a 40ft surge bottlenecked up the Bay.

I'm not expecting total devastation, but it's time to batten down. Extracting valuables today and making evac arrangements.

Triple Zero

once more, Suu is in her element, ITT.

PS Torte says hi
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Suu

Suu

As of the 11am advisory, she's not going back to a 3.

Nephew Twiddleton

Just saw on the news that nyc is getting evacuated.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Suu

Irene is carrying a lot of water. I don't see why they're evacuating the entire island of Manhattan, but 40ft swells will do bad things, I suppose.

As of the 5pm advisory, she's losing steam, but RI is under a warning now, so I need to make preparations to get my shit secured and myself out of here.

What's cracking me up is that she's following the same track as Floyd. She's almost also just as big (He was 580mi wide, she's 450) but I'm feeling after she buttfucks the Outer Banks we're not going to be left with much. The problem with big storms like that is that you're hit with 12 hours of tropical storm force weather before the good stuff rolls in. So once the streets are flooded and the structures have been battered around a bit with constant 40-74mph winds, the fucking hurricane force winds hit, that's what makes them so devastating. You have all that water and wind loosing stuff up for a day, and then WOOSH, eyewall raep. Even with just 80mph sustained winds, that's a lot of loosened crap that can become airborne.

We had a problem with a storm like that kickin' in the Gulf when I was younger. It was massive, and it was SLOW. We didn't get a direct hit, in fact I think it peetered and hit MS, but because of all the water it was carrying, we had a tropical storm for 4 days and got 20ft of extra water in Tampa Bay. I had stingrays swimming in my goddamn pool.

That's what makes this particular model of hurricane bad. Floyd put the Carolinas under water, and he was only a cat2 also.