News:

Everyone who calls themselves "wolf-something" or "something-wolf" almost inevitably turns out to be an irredeemable shitneck.

Main Menu

Untitled convo 1

Started by Cain, October 23, 2007, 03:50:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cain

"Harumph".
It was halfway between a throat infection and a polite interruption.  I didn't let that stop me though, I just turned the page of the book and languidly replied "can I help you?"
"Well, you could start by taking your feet off my desk."
"Oh?"  I peered over the book cover and pretended to look amazed at my shoes resting on the edge of the desk.  "So sorry, consider it rectified" I continued as I slowly took them off and, with much deliberation, placed them on the floor.

"Why do you have to be so difficult?"  It wasn't really a question, I knew, but I decided to answer it anyway.
"Because the Free Market demands it.  As do you, if memory serves me right."
"Whatever.  Anyway, since you are here, I may as well explai-"
"What's in your email?  Already got it, thanks."  I fished out my mobile and held it up, by way of explanation.  "So how will I be defending the international workers revo-uh, expansion of democratic and freedom loving states today?  Not shaping another Human Rights and Democracy meeting debate into the terms you people like, surely? "
"Your attitude is really starting to annoy me, as I'm sure you're well aware.  It wont sit well with the other think tank members, either, when I tell them." 

I decided to look him in face now.  It was red, with slight perspiration, as was usual for this time of year.  Freezing outside and boiling hot inside, most people had to deal with it.  He hadn't shaved in a couple of days either, which was unusual.  Perhaps he was under more stress than I gave him credit for.

"Oh dear, will the Whitehall gravy train dry up simply because of me?  I never knew my actions carried so much weight."  I then fixed his stare until he looked away.  He wasn't very good at this, I noted.  "Very well then, consider my services withdrawn.  I certainly wouldn't want to damage the reputations of such prestigious gentlemen as yourself."  I picked up my hat and went for the door.

"Wait!  Blast it.  You know that's not what I meant!"
"Didn't I?" I asked, turning and sitting back down.  "Go on then, tell me what you meant."
"You're playing a dangerous game here.  I don't know how you ever convinced them you should ever be trusted, but..."
"But nothing.  The fact is, while you and your friends were playing golf and attending all night orgies at 'International Economic conferences', I was paying attention.  Consequently, I know much more than you do, and in this day and age, knowledge is currency.  And vice-versa."
"I know more than you think.  I certainly know what you believe and really think of us."
"And you think the people controlling the purse-strings don't?  You really weren't paying attention then."

I stopped speaking, making him unconsciously lean in closer.  I spoke quietly, drawing him further in.  "You see, the real secret, the thing they wont tell you, is this..."  He looked confused right up to the point my palms slapped against his ears. 

"Argh, shit!  Oh fuck I'm deaf!"
"No you're not, stop complaining.  It's just going to ring and hurt like hell for a while."  I then took a post-it and briefly wrote on it, before sticking it to the desk. 

The writing caught my eye as I turned to leave.  "The point is utterly useless to know."  I shook my head, and wondered if he's ever really understand it.

LMNO

Hey, that's got a lot of flavor.

Very cool.

You have a few more "one scene" type stuff, don't you?

I think you should put them all together, and call it "Excerpts From the Year's Best Fiction, Volume 3", and play it off like they actually came from larger works.

Cain

Thanks.  Yes, they just kind of come to me, as it were.  I get a small idea, and it sort of blossoms fairly quickly into a scene.

I should advance it as a new pretentious writing style.  Or better yet, do a ton more, do some minor editing to make it look like they are the same work, and fix it all together.  Then I leave the reader to make up what they think is going on, saving me the effort of coming up with a plot, or characterization.