Rev Roger, Welcome to the Monkey House, #5: Country Music and You.

Started by The Good Reverend Roger, January 25, 2009, 09:02:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Triple Zero

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on January 25, 2009, 09:02:53 PMhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1s8nRL2bPCU&feature=related

Now, doesn't that sound CHEERFUL?  Right up to the point where you realize what the hell is really going on.  Fact is, Porter Waggoner, Johnny Cash, Buck Owen, and Hank Williams Sr understood the horror of the American Dream, and you don't.

This really reminds me of when a friend of mine played me a record of "Perfect Day" by Lou Reed and explained me it's actually dripping with sarcasm (unlike the more recent "Various Artists" cover), and I heard the song with entirely new ears. It's actually so obvious, once you pay attention to it, even though he's really skating the thin line between sincerity, sarcasm and cynicism, he's skating the fuck out of it. and it's so much better in that way.

(I know it's not country, btw)
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Requia ☣

Are all copies of that song fucked to hell from age, or is it just Youtube's usual abortion of a sound compression algorithm causing that?
Inflatable dolls are not recognized flotation devices.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

East Coast Hustle

there are a few good modern country acts.

Son Volt (the better half of Uncle Tupelo, Jeff Tweedy should get bent)
Golden Smog
Drive-by Truckers (defunct now, but there's a new band with a couple ex-members that's really good too)
Hank Williams III (it's a stretch to call him country but he's more like grandad than dad)
Blazing Haley

are the ones I can think of right off the top of my head. anyone who is interested can PM me for links to download some of that stuff.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Requiem on January 27, 2009, 09:57:43 AM
Are all copies of that song fucked to hell from age, or is it just Youtube's usual abortion of a sound compression algorithm causing that?

That's what TV sounded like in the 70s.

Troof.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Idem

Jesus, Roger, everything now is better.  Even our TV quality is.

Sheesh.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Idem on January 29, 2009, 06:07:07 PM
Jesus, Roger, everything now is better.  Even our TV quality is.

Sheesh.

And that's a good thing?

HAR HAR!

TGRR,
Approves of stereo recording, though.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

Adios

I listen almost exclusively to country music. Except I turn the station when Toby Keith comes on. My wife says the only threesome I am ever allowed to have is with Gretchen Wilson.

Requia ☣

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on January 29, 2009, 05:45:10 PM

Troof.

See, this is why I refused to be born till the 80s.  Though if its only as far back as the 70s (seemed more like 50s) the studio recordings might be nicer.  Will have to look.
Inflatable dolls are not recognized flotation devices.

Adios

Quote from: Requiem on February 09, 2009, 07:39:12 AM

Troof.

See, this is why I refused to be born till the 80s.  Though if its only as far back as the 70s (seemed more like 50s) the studio recordings might be nicer.  Will have to look.

I was born in the the early '50's and would not have it any other way wouldn't have it any other way.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Requiem on February 09, 2009, 07:39:12 AM

Troof.

See, I spent all my build points on sarcasm, so I didn't get to choose.

Seth_The_Fallen

Modern country music makes my ears bleed. I do though like the older stuff. I remember on called "Don't laugh at me" by Mark Wills. I like that one alot.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Seth_The_Fallen on February 14, 2009, 08:32:31 AM
Modern country music makes my ears bleed. I do though like the older stuff. I remember on called "Don't laugh at me" by Mark Wills. I like that one alot.

Um, that isn't older stuff.  Just saying.

Idem

There any modern country you'd suggest, btw?  Also, any more obscure old country?

Also, I dunno if this would technically be considered "country" but I'm really enjoying these guys right now http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPE-ZyNb6Wg