News:

Testimonial - Well it seems that most of you "discordians" are little more than dupes of the Cathedral/NWO memetic apparatus after all -- "freethinkers" in the sense that you are willing to think slightly outside the designated boxes of correct thought, but not free in the sense that you reject the existence of the boxes and seek their destruction.

Main Menu

Spagbook

Started by Cramulus, January 22, 2010, 02:42:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Ållnephew Tvýðleþøn on August 09, 2014, 04:28:46 PM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on August 09, 2014, 01:03:18 PM
Quote from: Eater of Clowns on August 09, 2014, 03:03:11 AM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on August 09, 2014, 02:34:13 AM
No shame in that.  I'm in week 3 or 4 of my offs.

Yeah. And bringing this back around to the topic, exercise really is the best way to beat them back.

The primary benefit of running, to me, that the gym will never have, is backing by the First Church of GO OUTSIDE.

The gym is working for me.

I feel more likely to run if I'm near a treadmill. Walking or running outside seems task oriented to me. I'm walking from point A to point B. If I'm running it's because I see the train coming.

Silly Irishman.  You can't outrun a TRAIN.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Eater of Clowns on August 07, 2014, 07:02:55 PM
Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on August 07, 2014, 06:23:15 PM
Ugh.  You healthy sons of bitches.  I'm procrastinating doing the couch-to-5k as hard as I can, and YOU'RE NOT HELPING.

Summer sucks for running. It's hot as fuck. I still think it's awesome to start at any time.

My "big" 5k is the Get Your Rear in Gear. My entire family runs or walks it in memory of my uncle, who died of colon cancer. It's what got me started running. It's usually in late October/early November, so that could be one to shoot for that'll put your training right around when it starts cooling off outside.

I've been running again. It bums me out that I'm 2 years post-surgery and still not back in shape. I try to remind myself that I'm nonetheless stronger and healthier than I was pre-surgery, but still. Gotta get back on top of it.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

minuspace

Quote from: go shit on someone else on August 07, 2014, 07:57:29 PM
Quote from: LuciferX on August 07, 2014, 07:09:17 PM
I kind of want to avoid the gym, so I built me a chin-up bar from plumbing supplies.  I can only do about six or seven reps tho - seems like I'm starting back a little too heavy  :?

Fuck the gym! I hate gyms and the vain, pretentious douches that tend to populate them.

Why pay for that shit when you could yeah, install a chin-up bar for pocket change, walk, jog, run, do squats, lunges, push-ups and sit-ups (and variations on them to target muscle groups), ride a bike, take the stairs, put some extra weight in a backpack and carry that shit around with you, or just about anything else.

I hate the hostile competition of the gym, the people telling me I need to eat more, the shitbag wannabe trainers trying to cramp my style for not wanting their shitty services, the people who try to distract you to validate their sense of attractiveness by placing themselves directly in your field of vision when there were 30 other free goddamn treadmills to choose from, the mirrors, jesus fucking christ the mirrors, the creepy fucks using the mirrors to examine you without you noticing, the 'roid rage, the idiot that refuses to clean their armpits, the bad music blared over the PA system, the psychology of the fee fucking with your motivation to exercise....

:pissed:

I agree, then though there is the occasional trainer that, in the long run, inadvertently learned me a thing or two.  For all the shit though, it's the cut-throat billing practices that finally just get my goat.  The one one thing I did enjoy was that it would have defined a time/space in which there was no messing around (another perk I was not impressed by, the messing around :horrormirth:)

Eater of Clowns

I don't know if anyone else watches BroScienceLife, but this dude has over a year's worth of videos sending up the entire gym culture. He's a super over the top gym rat who points out how ridiculous the entire thing is.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCduKuJToxWPizJ7I2E6n1kA
Quote from: Pippa Twiddleton on December 22, 2012, 01:06:36 AM
EoC, you are the bane of my existence.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 07, 2014, 01:18:23 AM
EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.

hooplala

Should we rename this The Gym Thread?
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

The Good Reverend Roger

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

hooplala

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on August 13, 2014, 06:51:06 PM
Quote from: Hoopla on August 13, 2014, 04:16:17 PM

Point taken.

No offense intended, just seems more appropriate in Open Bar to me.

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
— Walt Whitman

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on August 10, 2014, 04:43:51 AM

Yeah. And bringing this back around to the topic, exercise really is the best way to beat them back.

The primary benefit of running, to me, that the gym will never have, is backing by the First Church of GO OUTSIDE.

I feel more likely to run if I'm near a treadmill. Walking or running outside seems task oriented to me. I'm walking from point A to point B. If I'm running it's because I see the train coming.

Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Ållnephew Tvýðleþøn on August 13, 2014, 10:43:36 PM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on August 10, 2014, 04:43:51 AM

:lulz:

Eater of Clowns

Quote from: Hoopla on August 13, 2014, 09:35:11 PM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on August 13, 2014, 06:51:06 PM
Quote from: Hoopla on August 13, 2014, 04:16:17 PM

Point taken.

No offense intended, just seems more appropriate in Open Bar to me.

You're right, of course, and in the spirit of getting Spagbook back to what it is, this one's for you:

Quote from: Pippa Twiddleton on December 22, 2012, 01:06:36 AM
EoC, you are the bane of my existence.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 07, 2014, 01:18:23 AM
EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.

hooplala

That's the spirit!

"Do I contradict myself?
— Walt Whitman

Pope Pixie Pickle

minuspace

Reginald Ret

Quote from: Pope Pixie Pickle on August 14, 2014, 10:10:14 PM

Pixie, may I just say that you are just a bit cuter every time I see your face?
Those eyes. They have plans.
Lord Byron: "Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves."

Nigel saying the wisest words ever uttered: "It's just a suffix."

"The worst forum ever" "The most mediocre forum on the internet" "The dumbest forum on the internet" "The most retarded forum on the internet" "The lamest forum on the internet" "The coolest forum on the internet"

Pope Pixie Pickle

Quote from: Regret on August 15, 2014, 06:48:10 PM
Quote from: Pope Pixie Pickle on August 14, 2014, 10:10:14 PM

Pixie, may I just say that you are just a bit cuter every time I see your face?
Those eyes. They have plans.
:oops: