Open Bar: Funnier Than White People Practicing Voodoo

Started by The Good Reverend Roger, June 09, 2014, 03:18:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Suu

I didn't even know there as an ignore function. Other than, you know, just glancing past the posts of trolls and continuing.
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: The Suu on June 23, 2014, 01:20:43 PM
Quote from: Cardinal Pizza Deliverance. on June 23, 2014, 03:55:47 AM
Today I found out that Marion Zimmer Bradley was a child molester/rapist and that she and her husband got their rocks off by diddling kids when they weren't writing books or founding the SCA or starting covens or whatever.

I never got into her work much, but she was a big influence on a lot of my pagan friends and she was the mentor to some authors I really enjoy. So. Kinda vomiting in my mouth, here. I lack the ability to separate art from artist in the case of child abuse.

I thought about making a separate post about this since it's sort of messing with my head and there's all sorts of wonderful discussions to be had about this shitstorm. But I kinda wanna curl up in my closet and not come out, instead.

Not entirely sure why, except that it's Summer.

The only thing MZB did for the SCA was give it their name when she called to book space in a public park for an event. They didn't have a name for their group, and she came up with it off the cuff. That's her claim to fame. The group itself was founded in Diana Listmaker's backyard in Berkeley. They were essentially a bunch of hippie college students who were obsessed with Tolkien.

MZB was aware of Walter Breen's behavior, but I don't believe anything was ever found that stated she actually engaged in it with him, but she did always seem to support him for some reason. The situation is very bizarre. I've never actually gotten into her writing, kinda glad I didn't now.

I'm pretty sure her claim to fame was writing about a zillion insanely popular fantasy novels, including one that has become (perhaps ironically) iconic for feminists and Wiccans. I doubt anyone outside of the SCA has heard of how it got its name, or for that matter has heard of the SCA.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Cardinal Pizza Deliverance.

Today I found out that Marion Zimmer Bradley was a child molester/rapist and that she and her husband got their rocks off by diddling kids when they weren't writing books or founding the SCA or starting covens or whatever.

I never got into her work much, but she was a big influence on a lot of my pagan friends and she was the mentor to some authors I really enjoy. So. Kinda vomiting in my mouth, here. I lack the ability to separate art from artist in the case of child abuse.

I thought about making a separate post about this since it's sort of messing with my head and there's all sorts of wonderful discussions to be had about this shitstorm. But I kinda wanna curl up in my closet and not come out, instead.

The only thing MZB did for the SCA was give it their name when she called to book space in a public park for an event. They didn't have a name for their group, and she came up with it off the cuff. That's her claim to fame. The group itself was founded in Diana Listmaker's backyard in Berkeley. They were essentially a bunch of hippie college students who were obsessed with Tolkien.

MZB was aware of Walter Breen's behavior, but I don't believe anything was ever found that stated she actually engaged in it with him, but she did always seem to support him for some reason. The situation is very bizarre. I've never actually gotten into her writing, kinda glad I didn't now.

Well there is stuff now. Her daughter has stepped forward.
Weevil-Infested Badfun Wrongsex Referee From The 9th Earth
Slick and Deranged Wombat of Manhood Questioning
Hulking Dormouse of Lust and DESPAIR™
Gatling Geyser of Rainbow AIDS

"The only way we can ever change anything is to look in the mirror and find no enemy." - Akala  'Find No Enemy'.

Roly Poly Oly-Garch

My Monday schedule for the next...fucking forever:

Drive 8 miles to work in Vancouver, WA
7:00 am to 1:30 pm: Work
Drive 17.5 miles to the southernmost reaches of Portland (PCC Sylvania Campus)
3:00 pm to 5:20 pm: Improv Class
Drive 7 miles to SE Portland (PCC CLIMB Center)
6:30 pm to 9:20 pm: Intellectual Property Class
Drive 5 miles to HOME!

I think I may have made a dumb.
Back to the fecal matter in the pool

Nephew Twiddleton

Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Ållnephew Tvýðleþøn on June 23, 2014, 04:21:15 PM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on June 23, 2014, 03:32:44 PM
There's a word for what We're do.

We call it CYBORG PRIDE.

What's cyborg pride?

I'm glad you asked.  Check the Hell thread in a few minutes.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Suu

Quote from: The Right Reverend Nigel on June 23, 2014, 03:47:45 PM

I'm pretty sure her claim to fame was writing about a zillion insanely popular fantasy novels, including one that has become (perhaps ironically) iconic for feminists and Wiccans. I doubt anyone outside of the SCA has heard of how it got its name, or for that matter has heard of the SCA.

I meant in the SCA, not her overall fame as an author. I knew about Mists of Avalon before I started dressing like a jackass and hitting people with sticks.
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Ben Shapiro

I finished my paper for 2014-2015. Waiting for counselor to respond my questions on how to apply as a undergrad with a non-transferable 2 year degree. Don't know if taking my SAT will improve applications as I took the Compass test in Texas. Overall this will be all new to me going to a big boy campus.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: George Edger Dingleburry on June 23, 2014, 10:56:39 PM
I finished my paper for 2014-2015. Waiting for counselor to respond my questions on how to apply as a undergrad with a non-transferable 2 year degree. Don't know if taking my SAT will improve applications as I took the Compass test in Texas. Overall this will be all new to me going to a big boy campus.

WOOOO!!!
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: NoLeDeMiel on June 23, 2014, 04:18:56 PM

Drive 5 miles to HOME!

That sounds shit-tastic. Damn, dude.

Roly Poly Oly-Garch

Quote from: The Right Reverend Nigel on June 23, 2014, 11:49:25 PM

Drive 5 miles to HOME!

The estimated 59 minutes of travel time is already over an hour and a half.

BUT improv was a hoot, and my IP Class has a 3D printer whirring up at the front...awesomeness almost makes up for the commute.
Back to the fecal matter in the pool

Pæs

IT disabled JavaScript for my machine in error. I asked them to turn it back on as I don't have access to those settings _legitimately_.

They spent twenty minutes or so this morning turning Java on and off again. These are two totally different technologies.

Is like having a mechanic trying to resolve flat tire by flashing headlights. YOU HAD ONE JOB.

Freeky

Quote from: Pæs on June 24, 2014, 02:01:20 AM
IT disabled JavaScript for my machine in error. I asked them to turn it back on as I don't have access to those settings _legitimately_.

They spent twenty minutes or so this morning turning Java on and off again. These are two totally different technologies.

Is like having a mechanic trying to resolve flat tire by flashing headlights. YOU HAD ONE JOB.

:lulz:  That's terrible.

Freeky

Quote from: NoLeDeMiel on June 24, 2014, 01:47:54 AM
Quote from: The Right Reverend Nigel on June 23, 2014, 11:49:25 PM

Drive 5 miles to HOME!

The estimated 59 minutes of travel time is already over an hour and a half.

BUT improv was a hoot, and my IP Class has a 3D printer whirring up at the front...awesomeness almost makes up for the commute.

The awesome things sound super awesome!

Junkenstein

Oh dear.

6 lads caught nicking scrap and shoving it from a skip to the van. Caught by the client. On CCTV.

Meeting shortly should be amusing.
Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.