News:

Mr Rogers is above all that nonsense.

Main Menu

Jazz: srs fucking business

Started by Cain, December 10, 2009, 08:47:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Triple Zero

Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Brotep

^Here we see the metal drummer in his natural habitat, ironically enjoying his craft

LMNO

(not shown is the 16th note kick drum assault)

East Coast Hustle

you know, jazz would be slightly more tolerable if it used blastbeats more.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

LMNO

Iason Ouabache

Quote from: Rip City Hustle on December 15, 2009, 05:15:30 PM
you know, jazz would be slightly more tolerable if it used blastbeats breakbeats more.
:wink:
You cannot fathom the immensity of the fuck i do not give.
    \
┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘

Triple Zero

Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

East Coast Hustle

Quote from: LMNO on December 15, 2009, 05:18:51 PM
Ginger Baker.

Quote from: Triple Zero on December 15, 2009, 07:00:53 PM
Do You Know Squarepusher? ;-)

I never thought of either of these as being jazz, but if they are then I am willing to concede that there may be jazz that doesn't totally suck provided it utilizes blastbeats and/or breakbeats.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

LMNO

Baker did a few jazz albums with Charlie Hayden and Bill Frisell.  Most of what he does can be considered wanking rock, though.

East Coast Hustle

not that rock isn't wanking, but I'm amused that you could consider it MORE wanky than jazz.

:lulz:

Brotep

It's hard to get wankier than rock at its worst.  Seriously.

A good chunk of jazz is the musical equivalent of trash talking:
"Fuck you, your song sounds like 'Pop Goes the Weasel'"

Epimetheus

:argh!: I enjoy a lot of jazz and metal.
POST-SINGULARITY POCKET ORGASM TOAD OF RIGHTEOUSNESS

Quote from: Rip City Hustle on December 12, 2009, 11:02:36 PM
not unless your point is that you're not only a snob about music, you're a snob about bad music.

and you totally missed my point about musical complexity, which was that complexity has absolutely ZERO bearing on whether or not music is good.

hence why Dream Theater and jazz, while both technically impressive, are still nothing more than overwrought wankery.

I bet that if you were a metal kid, you'd like Yngwei Malmsteen.

Yngwie Malmsteen is pretty good.

Also a lot of good metal has strong jazz influence. What comes to mind for me is Gorguts and Cryptopsy, both pretty good technical death
metal from Quebec, but there are a lot of examples. Metal and Jazz share something else too, which is a large intelligence gap between musician and fan. I dont know, I think jazz is pretty good, and I like what I like.

Which is post ww2 bebop, right after the big gap that followed big band.

My favorites are Art Blakey & Max Roach.

East Coast Hustle

yeah, well, I'm not gonna argue with you because it's no fun to troll you

:argh!:

Cait M. R.

I like jazz, dubstep (I can provide examples of good dubstep, too! I'm serious!), metal, J-pop, and any other genre you care to name. I only hate one band, and that is Enter Shikari. I hate Enter Shikari because they manage to take every genre I got into music with, and make it somehow suck so horribly even -I- hate it.

Also, Roger, if you hate dubstep, you will never get over this stuff called illbient.

On the subject of good dubstep... Look for Loefah's "Indian Dub". I'd give a Youtube but it only has the godawful Skream remix. If you like the harsher stuff, look no further than Roguestar's Stay Calm: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MqEzqo__DBc&fmt=18 (Skip to :30 to avoid a long and shitty intro.)

And if you like stuff that's simply insane... http://new.music.yahoo.com/kraddy/tracks/godzilla--177456993 This song will give you enough to never stop laughing again. EDIT WRONG SONG LOOKING AGAIN.EDIT IT'S GONE FROM THE INTERNET. THE SONG I WAS THINKING OF HAD WACKY JAPANESE SINGING AND WEIRDNESS AND I CANNOT FIND IT. SORRY.