News:

It's a bad decade to be bipedal, soft and unarmed.

Main Menu

Hermann Hesse

Started by bugmenоt, May 07, 2014, 09:13:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MMIX

Impacted could mean nasty shit [smirks] but I don't really have a problem with it and don't consider it to be a buzzword in the same frame of reference as say impactful. Now that is one seriously fucked up word
"The ultimate hidden truth of the world is that it is something we make and could just as easily make differently" David Graeber

LMNO

Quote from: Cramulus on May 07, 2014, 05:45:17 PM
sorry, missing something - is that a bad word now?

im·pact·ed/ɪmˈpæktɪd
adjective
1. tightly or immovably wedged in.
2. Dentistry.  noting a tooth so confined in its socket as to be incapable of normal eruption.
3. driven together; tightly packed.
4. densely populated or crowded; overcrowded: an impacted school district.

We both have been working for corporate long enough that this seems to be normal.  But it's not.  We should do a solve to innovent a turnkey solution for this.

Cramulus

thanks for the tip, but

im·pact·ed
imˈpaktid/
adjective
adjective: impacted

pressed firmly together, in particular.
        (of a tooth) wedged between another tooth and the jaw.
        (of a fractured bone) having the parts crushed together.
        (of feces) lodged in the intestine.
    strongly affected by something.

and regardless, I think my usage was clear, no? It had an impact on me. It impacted me. Is that somehow confusing?

anyway, I just wanted to say I liked Siddhartha

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Cramulus on May 07, 2014, 05:45:17 PM
sorry, missing something - is that a bad word now?

The manner in which it was used has the poor Queen of England blubbering.  Like this --->  :cry:
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

LMNO

Quote from: Cramulus on May 07, 2014, 06:18:07 PM
thanks for the tip, but

im·pact·ed
imˈpaktid/
adjective
adjective: impacted

pressed firmly together, in particular.
        (of a tooth) wedged between another tooth and the jaw.
        (of a fractured bone) having the parts crushed together.
        (of feces) lodged in the intestine.

and regardless, I think my usage was clear, no? It had an impact on me. It impacted me. Is that somehow confusing?

anyway, I just wanted to say I liked Siddhartha

Ok, I'm going to go there, because my google-fu didn't find it:

Quote2.
:cn:

Cramulus

seriously? still hung up on this?

I used google

also http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/us/definition/american_english/impacted

is there, like, a reason you're being so pedantic?

LMNO

Believe it or not, yes. 

I was hoping for an etymology of the second definition, but I can see by the example sentence, it's fairly recent; and further, it's quite clearlu a direct result of BusinessSpeak, which is a horrible sub-genre of speech that mauls words, grafts on pre- and suf-fixes, and then stuffs them into meanings that have little or nothing to do with their original intended usage, usually based purely upon their homonym equivalents.

I place them at the same level as "Bushisms" like Strategery.  And yes, that was a Will Farrell joke that became attributed to Bush.  Doesn't matter.  Ignorance of English is ignorance of English, regardless of how much money you make, or how powerful you are.

The Good Reverend Roger

I only get pissy because I have to hear the English language get waterboarded three times a day in the conference room.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

Cramulus

Actually, it's not new. Impact as a verb dates to the 1600s. And people have been arguing about this point since at least the 60s. See the Usage Notes and then please quit policing my language. If the meaning of that sentence was clear, I really don't care whether my usage is "correct" or not - this is an Internet forum, not a term paper.

Faust

Management buzzwords are the devil, They are right up there with the terrible things like pedantry.

I have to agree with cram though, if the meaning was clear who gives a shit? The only difference I've seen is when it "x impacted upon me" instead of "x impacted me"
Sleepless nights at the chateau

LMNO

Did you really try to grammar-shame me?

Sheesh. It's like the SJWs of English class up in here.

LMNO

Also, from that OED site you likens to:

"early 17th century (as a verb in the sense 'press closely, fix firmly'): from Latin impact- 'driven in', from the verb impingere (see impinge)."

"The phrasal verb impact on, as in when produce is lost, it always impacts on the bottom line, has been in the language since the 1960s."

So, yeah. Since the 1600's, but not as a phrasal verb. Like, you know, I meant.

The Good Reverend Roger

Are you guys actually getting pissed off?   :?

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: MMIX on May 07, 2014, 05:55:49 PM
Impacted could mean nasty shit [smirks] but I don't really have a problem with it and don't consider it to be a buzzword in the same frame of reference as say impactful. Now that is one seriously fucked up word

Yes.  My boss does that shit.  Like every fucking day.

MMIX

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on May 07, 2014, 09:39:41 PM
Quote from: MMIX on May 07, 2014, 05:55:49 PM

Yes.  My boss does that shit.  Like every fucking day.

I can only imagine your pain
"The ultimate hidden truth of the world is that it is something we make and could just as easily make differently" David Graeber