News:

Today, for a brief second, I thought of a life without Roger. It was much like my current life, except that this forum was a bit nicer.

Main Menu

Does forgetting aid learning?

Started by Captain Utopia, June 16, 2010, 06:26:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain Utopia

I can't recall where I read that it might - by easing the formation and usage of generalities and highlighting exceptions.  We do seem to be able to learn and function while forgetting almost everything we experience - single days, weeks or even entire years.. but I'm not particularly happy with that explanation.

Telarus

First it is a mountain, then it isn't a mountain, then it is a mountain again.   :fnord:
Telarus, KSC,
.__.  Keeper of the Contradictory Cephalopod, Zenarchist Swordsman,
(0o)  Tender to the Edible Zen Garden, Ratcheting Metallic Sex Doll of The End Times,
/||\   Episkopos of the Amorphous Dreams Cabal

Join the Doll Underground! Experience the Phantasmagorical Safari!

frogsicle

Don't forget the part where forgetting meaningless details allows for the recall of important ones without having to flip through our heads like an extremely overstuffed filing cabinet.
"There are beans in my... beans!!"

Requia ☣

What you saw before might be related to reinforcement, going over things multiple times makes them easier to remember.  It's possible that forgetting aid in learning in that it makes a person both more likely and more able to go over material a second time.
Inflatable dolls are not recognized flotation devices.

Triple Zero

Quote from: Captain Utopia on June 16, 2010, 06:26:03 AM
Does forgetting aid learning?

I can't recall where I read that it might -

:mittens:

:lulz:
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Captain Utopia

:argh!:  But at the same time, it's not like I did learn anything I could recall later  :wink:

I guess there's no way to answer this question without, say, building an AI which had perfect recollection.

AFK

Is it that forgetting aids learning, or that learning necessitates forgetting? 
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Captain Utopia

Or is forgetting just a side-effect of our squishy brain, and it's a miracle that we function at all?

Telarus

http://frank.itlab.us/forgetting/

Read the "Curve of Forgetting" section lower on the page.

Telarus, KSC,
(0o)  Tender to the Edible Zen Garden, Ratcheting Metallic Sex Doll of The End Times,

Captain Utopia

Quote from: Telarus on June 21, 2010, 10:12:49 PM
http://frank.itlab.us/forgetting/

Read the "Curve of Forgetting" section lower on the page.

Huh... I interpret that as: "How to learn despite the tendency to forget almost everything"

Telarus

That's the point. Do you really want to remember every cough and chair squeek from the lecture 3 weeks ago when you're taking the mid-term and mentally scanning back for the specific name of Mediterranean 'Orientalizing-Era' female sculptures with stiff poses, and stylized, highly patterned hair?
Telarus, KSC,

The Johnny

<<My image in some places, is of a monster of some kind who wants to pull a string and manipulate people. Nothing could be further from the truth. People are manipulated; I just want them to be manipulated more effectively.>>

-B.F. Skinner

NotPublished

I don't think forgetting helps with learning

I think when your uncomfortable, you know you are learning something (until you can make it comfortable)
In Soviet Russia, sins died for Jesus.