Open Bar: Arguments About Turtles, All the Way Down

Started by Cain, August 09, 2014, 07:29:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LMNO

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on August 26, 2014, 07:03:39 PM
So, we managed to grind our product so that every grain is within a tenth of a micron in size with every other micron.  By which I mean, in 10 tons of powder, no two granules are more than a half micron apart in size.

I realize that this probably won't mean much to people who aren't in this business, but it's sort of like dropping a handful of quarters and having them all land on their edge and stay there...And then being able to do it whenever you want.

:magick:

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on August 26, 2014, 07:22:56 PM
So, we managed to grind our product so that every grain is within a tenth of a micron in size with every other micron.  By which I mean, in 10 tons of powder, no two granules are more than a half micron apart in size.

I realize that this probably won't mean much to people who aren't in this business, but it's sort of like dropping a handful of quarters and having them all land on their edge and stay there...And then being able to do it whenever you want.

:magick:

I always thought space travel was the coolest shit ever.  I was wrong.  This is the coolest shit ever.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Cain

Well, I've been working all today, writing.

Tomorrow, I get up at 4am to be in at work for 6am for an 8 hour shift.  And the girl in Paraguay (maybe) has not had time to email me.  Bleh.  Good mood ruined.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Cain on August 26, 2014, 07:32:05 PM
Well, I've been working all today, writing.

Tomorrow, I get up at 4am to be in at work for 6am for an 8 hour shift.  And the girl in Paraguay (maybe) has not had time to email me.  Bleh.  Good mood ruined.

I feel ya.  5 AM every day, here.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

Cain

Every day I could be OK with.  But it's every second or third day, with a late shift thrown in randomly between the two somewhere.  Consistent sleep schedule ruined.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Cain on August 26, 2014, 07:53:29 PM
Every day I could be OK with.  But it's every second or third day, with a late shift thrown in randomly between the two somewhere.  Consistent sleep schedule ruined.

Yeah, I quit a job once because of that.  I was on the 3-11:30 PM shift, and every Saturday the boss wanted all 3 shifts in at 6 AM to do preventative maintenance.  1st shift was on their regular schedule, 3rd shift just had to stay over, 2nd shift took it in the ass.  It effectively ruined my weekend, every weekend.

Ben Shapiro

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on August 26, 2014, 07:14:17 PM
Quote from: Alty on August 26, 2014, 07:12:24 PM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on August 26, 2014, 07:07:50 PM
Quote from: Alty on August 26, 2014, 07:04:58 PM

What is the purpose of this, beyond showing up GAWD.

Depending on what you're doing with our product, you either want a bell curve of particle size (for high density applications) or uniform size (flowability).  The first is good for sapphire, made economically, the second is good for processes prone to plugging up (ie, specialty stuff like flexible sapphire, etc).

Hmmm, sounds hot!

What's hot is how we do it.   :lulz:  Also, the new steam jet mill grinds the stuff in mid-air, suspended in a chamber and kept aloft by 1500 PSI of super-heated steam. 

Which is totally The Future.  The cool future.

What could go wrong?  :whack:

IT'S MY FIRST DAY!

minuspace

Depending on what you're doing with our product, you either want a bell curve of particle size (for high density applications) or uniform size (flowability).  The first is good for sapphire, made economically, the second is good for processes prone to plugging up (ie, specialty stuff like flexible sapphire, etc).

Is it for optics, lenses and such?  Superconductors?  [I'm all OCD about trying to figure it out]

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: LuciferX on August 26, 2014, 11:44:55 PM

Is it for optics, lenses and such?  Superconductors?  [I'm all OCD about trying to figure it out]

Yeah, great.  Piss off.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Triggered word /b/ear on August 26, 2014, 09:58:18 PM
IT'S MY FIRST DAY!

Well, then...Won't YOU be surprised!  No jet packs, I'm afraid, but getting shot by cops is HALF OFF.

minuspace

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on August 26, 2014, 11:58:48 PM
Quote from: LuciferX on August 26, 2014, 11:44:55 PM

Yeah, great.  Piss off.

50K Psi right back at you.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I've been merrily rolling through TDS (new) and TDS (closed), pissing people off, making friends, and ultimately siphoning the membership off into Pussy Shots, which hit 10,000 members today.

Also, I strongly suspect that I am falling in love, which is a bit disquieting. But I finished off another term with a 4.0 and I'll be starting a new term again soon enough to hopefully head off having time for it to really go anywhere. Love is nothing but trouble.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Salty

Quote from: The Right Reverend Nigel on August 27, 2014, 03:13:13 AM
I've been merrily rolling through TDS (new) and TDS (closed), pissing people off, making friends, and ultimately siphoning the membership off into Pussy Shots, which hit 10,000 members today.

Also, I strongly suspect that I am falling in love, which is a bit disquieting. But I finished off another term with a 4.0 and I'll be starting a new term again soon enough to hopefully head off having time for it to really go anywhere. Love is nothing but trouble.

I must concur, but wish you the best in that.
The world is a car and you're the crash test dummy.

minuspace

Quote from: Alty on August 27, 2014, 04:04:04 AM
Quote from: The Right Reverend Nigel on August 27, 2014, 03:13:13 AM

I must concur, but wish you the best in that.

And only for the best is why I ride through trouble =)

Cain

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on August 26, 2014, 07:56:06 PM
Quote from: Cain on August 26, 2014, 07:53:29 PM

Yeah, I quit a job once because of that.  I was on the 3-11:30 PM shift, and every Saturday the boss wanted all 3 shifts in at 6 AM to do preventative maintenance.  1st shift was on their regular schedule, 3rd shift just had to stay over, 2nd shift took it in the ass.  It effectively ruined my weekend, every weekend.

My last job was notorious for that.  One guy I was working with cracked a joke at the expense of the nurse in charge of the rota, and he ended up doing Saturday overnight shifts for a month.  He has kids and this was the start of the summer holidays, so it was pretty much entirely designed to screw over his life.