News:

You know what I always say? "Always kill the mouthy one", that's what I always say.

Main Menu

[NOMENCLATURE]: Crust Kids or "Crust wave."

Started by navkat, January 16, 2012, 07:15:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: navkat on January 17, 2012, 08:06:28 PM
I ran away because they were abusing the crap out of me. After the beatings stopped, the mind fuckery continued. My folks actually made my sister drop out of school at age 16 because my mom had my baby brother and couldn't be bothered with child care.

It's almost worse for kids now in spite of raised abuse awareness. These days, running away to stay on someone else's sofa is a big taboo for the adults. If you're a grown single person letting someone else's kid sleep on your sofa, you're questioned as a possible creep over kindness. If you're a parent, stepping in to help say, your son's girlfriend, you generally back down after the threats are made because you have your own kid to worry about.

The foster system is a disaster, it's no longer possible for a kid to emancipate and support himself so what's shitty is that mixed into these groups of "bums-by-choice" are probably some kids that didn't choose this and never really had a shot. They'll find themselves alone when their crusty pals eventually get bored of grandstanding about lack of healthcare that's never been a real problem until they turned 21, no support for artists/musicians and oppressive police presence that wouldn't really apply to their white asses if they would just stop picking fights outside of Sidney's and make their flea-bitten dogs stop shitting on the sidewalk.

Notice the conspicuous low ratio of multicultural crusties, BTW? These are not the desperate and optionless.

You have some in any city that claims for itself a "bohemian" element. These kids would be flat-out made to be uncomfortable in a city like Mobile so they do not exist here. We have plenty of issues with real poor people getting shit from the police.

Hell yeah, totally.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

navkat

Quote from: Nigel on January 19, 2012, 07:26:40 AM
The comments section is a lulzmine of stupidity.

The only reason to read HipsterRunoff. :lulz:

BadBeast

We got proper hordes of rancid Crusties this side of the pond. A vast itinerant Army of unwashed dreadlocked 3rd Gen Bus Kids raving around Europe on a wave of Crystal X, Occupy, and Carlsberg Special Brew.
Spiral Tribe have been wandering around throwing crusty raves in muddy fields  for over 25 years, and they know how to milk a good cause for a Party or two. Seem a bit livelier that your Yank Gap year Crusties too.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PEYtMBI1IeU&feature=related
"We need a plane for Bombing, Strafing, Assault and Battery, Interception, Ground Support, and Reconaissance,
NOT JUST A "FAIR WEATHER FIGHTER"!

"I kinda like him. It's like he sees inside my soul" ~ Nigel

Whoever puts their hand on me to govern me, is a usurper, and a tyrant, and I declare them my enemy!

"And when the clouds obscure the moon, and normal service is resumed. It wont. Mean. A. Thing"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpkCJDYxH-4

Hoser McRhizzy

[Next day sober edit-delete. Classmate and departmental surveillance is likely.  What I wrote was too specific and the professional sufferer in question could easily be identified.  Yak's comment further down the thread was a good reminder to watch my back.  Don't worry, imaginary reader-person, you didn't miss anything.  Also, I am a giant douche for editing this post.]
It feels unreal because it's trickling up.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Hoser McRhizzy on January 20, 2012, 03:24:34 AM
Quote from: navkat on January 16, 2012, 07:40:09 PM
Crust Kids are usually upper-middle-class wankers who have homes to go to, people who love them, college funds they don't want to use and have opted to live like drug addicts and filthy bums.

Your expertise, please.  There's a well-off white student in my university department who is starving herself, making a big show out of eating leftovers brought into the student lounge, walks around with a huge-ass blanket draped around herself and is sleeping in her boss' project office, even though she's paid rent on a room elsewhere in the city.  She's paid an extra semester's tuition for the privledge of editing her thesis (seriously, everything else is done, she just wants to be here for another couple of months) and has complained about not having enough money for toilet paper.

Is she a "crustie kid"?  Or just our everyday run-of-the-mill moron?  Is there another subsection of idiot that pays thousands of dollars for the opportunity to play Poor Student?  There's always been the kid who waxes on about being down with the struggle because they ate Ramyun for a month, but the woman I mention is another beast entirely. 

Ideas?

Smack her upside the head with something heavy.

" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Hoser McRhizzy

:lol:

I wish she was an exception, but I keep encountering this very specific brand of Oppressed-Rich-Kid.  Not that they have to have cash as a prerequisite.  Anyone digging themselves into 10s of thousands of $s worth of debt with no reason for the education other than "I'm going to study the counter-culture for a living and that makes me totally oppressed!  Tweet me back!" ...  :?

Aht.  I can't pretend to understand any of it.  And I'm pretty sure navcat's not talking about these douchenozzles.

Nav:  Your "crusty" is a well to do kid that tweets every time he scores a 'za in a dumpster dive.  Whose brain would explode if she had to actually make a living off other people's refuse for a living, yes? 

(Liking your upside-the-head suggestion, Rog.  Believe me, I'd love to.  For the blankie alone.)
It feels unreal because it's trickling up.

kingyak

The problem with people like that is if you smack them upside the head, you'll only feed their delusions of oppression.
"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."-HST

BadBeast

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PEYtMBI1IeU&feature=related
Notice the clever subterfuge at 1.58, when the brave Boys in Blue are about to surge forward in an undignified, and unnecessary skirmish=/=free for all. At the critical point, a Lady comes along, oblivious to everything, and proceeds to cross the road. The Plod have two choices here. They can stampede over the poor little old Lady, blithely crossing the road, and write her off as ''collateral damage''. Or step back into a familiar "Thin Blue Line" formation, and allow her to go about her lawful business, unhindered.

The fact that little old Lady is really just Lairy Mary from outside  the Off Licence taking the piss makes no difference.
In times of uncertainty, (And Daylight) they follow protocol. And Mary even has a handbag with her. 

The Commanding Officer at least, see's the Daily Slag's headline the next morning.
"Half Blind Lady Trampled to Fuck in Police Rout Debacle"

"Miss Mary Bristleditch 173, was recovering last night in a Lewisham Hospital Corridor after being trampled to fuck as Police fled from a "Terrorist Hose" attack.

Her ordeal, which left her bruised, bleeding, and bewildered, wearing nothing but her own soiled bloomers and whalebone corset, sparked out cold in the street.
A Police spokesperson, when asked about the incident, said to our reporter this morning "Fuck off you nosy Discordian cockrotter". Which was strange, because she's actually a Wesleyan Methodist. She later prayed for him.
To burn in hell.

Miss Grizzlebitch said earlier,
"I thought one of them was going to help me across the road, so I reached out to take his arm, but he just gave me such a smack upside my head, that I fainted away, soiling myself as I fell under their great stampy boots." She said.
"As I drifted out of consciousness, I thought they were my Stan's boots, marching home from his far off Flanders Ditch" A tear comes to her rheumy old eye.
"Why are you stamping on me head Stan"? Did I do something wro . . . . . " and she's out like a light.

"There's always one or two, who spoil it for the rest" Sir Henry Himlaugh, Lord High Sheriff of Westminster said earlier. "And if the Police respond in the brusque, vigourous manner
we train them to respond in, well, yes there will be casualties
", before voiding his stomach over a nearby child.

But mostly, everyone had a brilliant day. 
"We need a plane for Bombing, Strafing, Assault and Battery, Interception, Ground Support, and Reconaissance,

Whoever puts their hand on me to govern me, is a usurper, and a tyrant, and I declare them my enemy!

"And when the clouds obscure the moon, and normal service is resumed. It wont. Mean. A. Thing"

Mangrove

Crusty? Really? People are still doing this?

So basically, privileged American kids are now dressing up like privileged British kids in the early 90s?

I remember this era very well [shudder].

To engage in this hobby you will need:

a) Unhygenic habits of hippies.
b) Unkempt dreadlocks.
c) Tatty clothing, much of it army surplus.
d) Boots. Combat boots or big Doc Martens.
e) Marxist and/or Anarchist politics
f)  Scrawny dog on a string.
g)  Predeliction for psychedelic drugs (esp LSD & mushrooms) and Ecstasy
h)  Beer: Tenant's Super or Carlsberg Special Brew.
i)   Pretentious affectation of being 'homeless'. Argue that ilegally  parking your shitty trailer on someone's land is you being 'nomadic'.
j)   Copious amounts of unemployment benefit fraud.
k)  Listen to bands like: New Model Army, The Levellers, (pre-Tubthumping) Chumbawamba and 'rave'
l)  Flask of weak lemon drink.

I was surrounded by these assholes when I was living in Plymouth, England. 1991-92 seemed to be the peak era by 1995-96 they had almost all disappeared and become 'Britpop' fans.
What makes it so? Making it so is what makes it so.

kingyak

Quote from: Khara on January 17, 2012, 10:28:54 PM
Quote from: kingyak on January 17, 2012, 09:31:44 PM
Socioeconomic tourism's not really a new thing, there are just new and stupider ways of going about it. I had pretty much the same reaction to On The Road that most people seem to be having to the link in the OP.

I'm presuming the book because I don't think the movie is out yet...  But yeah, I can see where you are coming from.

I was talking about that show with Charles Kurault. Fuck that guy!

Dysfunctional Cunt

Quote from: kingyak on January 20, 2012, 04:21:56 PM
Socioeconomic tourism's not really a new thing, there are just new and stupider ways of going about it. I had pretty much the same reaction to On The Road that most people seem to be having to the link in the OP.

I'm presuming the book because I don't think the movie is out yet...  But yeah, I can see where you are coming from.

Well I have to agree with you on that one.  Funny it never entered my thoughts when I read that, the bok was the first thing I thought of.  Sorry.

kingyak

Quote from: Khara on January 20, 2012, 04:54:24 PM
Quote from: kingyak on January 20, 2012, 04:21:56 PM

Well I have to agree with you on that one.  Funny it never entered my thoughts when I read that, the bok was the first thing I thought of.  Sorry.

Actually, I meant the book, but the idea of loathing something as hokey and harmless as the Charles Kurault show amused me. (Tone is hard to convey through text on a screen some days).

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Hoser McRhizzy on January 20, 2012, 04:05:29 AM
:lol:

I wish she was an exception, but I keep encountering this very specific brand of Oppressed-Rich-Kid.  Not that they have to have cash as a prerequisite.  Anyone digging themselves into 10s of thousands of $s worth of debt with no reason for the education other than "I'm going to study the counter-culture for a living and that makes me totally oppressed!  Tweet me back!" ...  :?

Aht.  I can't pretend to understand any of it.  And I'm pretty sure navcat's not talking about these douchenozzles.

Nav:  Your "crusty" is a well to do kid that tweets every time he scores a 'za in a dumpster dive.  Whose brain would explode if she had to actually make a living off other people's refuse for a living, yes? 

(Liking your upside-the-head suggestion, Rog.  Believe me, I'd love to.  For the blankie alone.)

That was really, really interesting.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

BadBeast

Quote from: Mangrove on January 20, 2012, 04:20:33 PM
Crusty? Really? People are still doing this?

So basically, privileged American kids are now dressing up like privileged British kids in the early 90s?

I remember this era very well [shudder].

To engage in this hobby you will need:

a) Unhygenic habits of hippies.
b) Unkempt dreadlocks.
c) Tatty clothing, much of it army surplus.
d) Boots. Combat boots or big Doc Martens.
e) Marxist and/or Anarchist politics
f)  Scrawny dog on a string.
g)  Predeliction for psychedelic drugs (esp LSD & mushrooms) and Ecstasy
h)  Beer: Tenant's Super or Carlsberg Special Brew.
i)   Pretentious affectation of being 'homeless'. Argue that ilegally  parking your shitty trailer on someone's land is you being 'nomadic'.
j)   Copious amounts of unemployment benefit fraud.
k)  Listen to bands like: New Model Army, The Levellers, (pre-Tubthumping) Chumbawamba and 'rave'
l)  Flask of weak lemon drink.

I was surrounded by these assholes when I was living in Plymouth, England. 1991-92 seemed to be the peak era by 1995-96 they had almost all disappeared and become 'Britpop' fans.
The whole thing staggered away from the 80's Travellers / Free festy scene some time in 87 or 88. Pre-emptively and aggressively pruned by the Tory Government, when tons of cheap brown heroin flooded Britain. This persuaded many of the Travellers from travelling any further that the nearest local retail outlet for smack, that does £10 wraps.

At the same time, Unemployment benefits were only available for the homeless, for a period of 3 months from any one Office. Except in recession hit Seaside towns. This brought a great big glut of Housing benefit money for any Hotel that catered for Social security claimants. Standing empty for much of the season while everyone flew out to Ibiza for £40 return instead of Holidaying at Paignton, Weymouth, Bournemouth, or Weston, they now had guaranteed guests all year round, and didn't need to close down. 

The Hotels crammed three or four people in every double room, then claimed exorbitant rents, like £150 per person per week from the Government, who saw it as an investment just by keeping the great unwashed from cluttering up the Cities.

Also, a great time to buy rundown cheap guest houses at rock bottom prices, fill them up with claimants, and make the mortgage every month six times over. Then when the market picks up again, sell the Houses at a huge profit. The clever money invested again, turned them into private Rehabs / Halfway Houses.
The cost for a recovering addict to stay in one of these converted Georgian Villas, was £7-800 per person, per week, 10 to 15 people per house. No shortage of recently detoxed street addicts to fill them up with. And everyone made money hand over fist, for well over a decade.

Of course, the quaint English Seaside Towns reverted back to crime ridden economic blackspots, main trades? Drug distribution and sale, money laundering Smuggling,  :fap: Fishing, The Hotel Industry, financial services, Care homes, and begging. I was generally on the lower end of any earning opportunity, at least until I moved from Weymouth to Portland. But good times, heady times. I've been told I thoroughly enjoyed most of it too. So that was good.