News:

All you can say in this site's defence is that it, rather than reality, occupies the warped minds of some of the planet's most twisted people; gods know what they would get up to if it wasn't here.  In these arguably insane times, any lessening or attenuation of madness is maybe something to be thankful for.

Main Menu

Huck Finn and Robots

Started by Eater of Clowns, February 10, 2011, 06:12:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eater of Clowns

No, really.

This group, in a bizarre and hilarious protest of the recent decision to change "nigger" to "slave" in a new edition of The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn, is proposing a short printing wherein "nigger" is replaced with "robot."

QuoteMark Twain once said, "The difference between the almost right word and the right word is really a large matter."

We couldn't agree more. And that right word is "robot."
Quote from: Pippa Twiddleton on December 22, 2012, 01:06:36 AM
EoC, you are the bane of my existence.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 07, 2014, 01:18:23 AM
EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.

Phox

Nephew Twiddleton

Only problem I see is that robots don't care, right?

Right?

:tinfoilhat:
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

navkat

That's awesome....and hey, it's a Kickstarter project! The guy who created that is a New Orleans native. My friend Earl was one of the first mofos to use it:
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/08/25/technology/start-ups/25kick.html - A bunch of old ravers in that article.

Now THIS is the brand of Discord (tm) that's right up my alley. I think I'll just have to chip in a few bucks.

The Good Reverend Roger

So...Blacks are robots and not humans?

My take on this is that anyone who wants to change the text of a period piece to satisfy current morality should be fed into a chipper.

Bastards.  They're basically a Poe's Law version of Alphonse Carr's Dictum.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Cramulus

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on February 10, 2011, 04:21:02 PM

My take on this is that anyone who wants to change the text of a period piece to satisfy current morality should be fed into a chipper.

They're not making a statement about race -- they're protesting the censorship of Huck Finn by intensifying its stupidity. They are drawing more attention to the censorship by making it both absurd and topical. Classic discordian form!

What confuses me is why the censorship of Huck Finn is even news! People have been redacting the N word pretty much continuously since it's been published. You'll never see exerpts from Huck Finn in a reading textbook, it's too controversial. If you read it in school, odds are you read a standalone book. And even then, it's one of those things that school boards wibble back and forth about every year.

AFK

Well, it's a good band name anyway. 
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

LMNO

Quote from: Cramulus on February 10, 2011, 04:42:00 PM
What confuses me is why the censorship of Huck Finn is even news!

Marketing.  The guy actively sought press so people would buy the book.

navkat

Quote from: Cramulus on February 10, 2011, 04:42:00 PM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on February 10, 2011, 04:21:02 PM

They're not making a statement about race -- they're protesting the censorship of Huck Finn by intensifying its stupidity. They are drawing more attention to the censorship by making it both absurd and topical. Classic discordian form!

Basically what the Flying Spaghetti Monster did for the Creationism-in-schools argument.

Jasper

The movie in the link is funny.  They make it pretty clear that they're satirizing the revisionists.