News:

Hand drawn by monkeys in sweat-shop conditions.

Main Menu

Hacky-Sack as a Metaphor for Life

Started by MedeoPlusPlus, May 26, 2004, 11:05:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MedeoPlusPlus

I think the fine game of Hacky-Sack is a guideline for living a rewarding life. The players of the game may join or leave at any time, and there are no set rules for how many people can play- although when the circle becomes too large or too small, the game becomes difficult.

It's a game where there are no true winners and no losers, even though it's clear that some people are a lot better at the game than others. There are no inherent ranks- everyone gets a fairly equal position in the circle (as they ought to, but unfortunately do not always, in real life), and if the circle is broken there's a greater chance that the hack (representing the challenges of life) will fly out of control and end the game.

Every time one challenge is completed (someone hacks the sack) it gives birth to another challenge which will be given to another, seemingly at random- therefore there is no cure-all in life, just as there is no way to keep the hack in the air without effort (what goes up must come down). There will always be new challenges, and without them life would be quite boring- like a hacky-sack lying on the ground not being kicked. And so we humans must unite equally or die- form a circle without needless bureaucracy or rigid laws, so that we can [flame-retardant]keep our hacky-sack in the air.[/flame-retardant]

And, of course, there's the "just keep swimming" analogy which comes from the fact that if the hacky-sack is dropped, for whatever reason, true players of the game do not waste time arguing over whose fault it was, or make up stupid rules to prevent it from happening again- they just pick the damn thing up, re-serve it, and keep the game going. No harm, no foul, and that way everyone has more fun.

There's probably more to this, and I'm sure there's some holes in my theory, but hey- I felt really proud of myself when I came up with it while hacking with my droogs earlier today, and I haven't written up a good rant in a long time, so... there's my two cents for the day.
1. e4             e5
2. Bc4           Bc5
3. Qf3           Ne7
4. Qxf7++

The Good Reverend Roger

Life is only like hacky-sack, if the sack represents mankind.

You get kicked around, abused, have the shit knocked out of you, and then they stuff you in a box.

The end.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Slarti

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Slartibartfasti prefer medeo's version.

Mine's more accurate.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

Bella

Sadly enough, I think it is, Roger.
just like in a dream
you'll open your mouth to scream
and you won't make a sound

you can't believe your eyes
you can't believe your ears
you can't believe your friends
you can't believe you're here

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: SssBella, Oracle of DoomSadly enough, I think it is, Roger.

Telling the truth(tm) will NOT make you popular at parties, though.

Maybe that's why none of my redneck scum neighbors/co-workers invite me to parties.

Bella

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger
Quote from: SssBella, Oracle of DoomSadly enough, I think it is, Roger.

Telling the truth(tm) will NOT make you popular at parties, though.

Maybe that's why none of my redneck scum neighbors/co-workers invite me to parties.
Yup, that's why they don't invite you over.

That's also why I can't drink and then do tarot readings.
When I'm drunk I tell the unvarnished truth instead of softening the blow.
just like in a dream
you'll open your mouth to scream
and you won't make a sound

you can't believe your eyes
you can't believe your ears
you can't believe your friends
you can't believe you're here

Trollax

All things are true for a given value of truth. You can be a nay-sayer or a yea sayer... and I will affirm life above all things even if it means I die a siphilitic madman who thinks he's napoleon and the orderly (who looks like a gay biker) is his jospehine...

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: St. Trollax, ODDAll things are true for a given value of truth. You can be a nay-sayer or a yea sayer... and I will affirm life above all things even if it means I die a siphilitic madman who thinks he's napoleon and the orderly (who looks like a gay biker) is his jospehine...

Sucker.

Trollax

Quote from: St. Trollax, ODDAll things are true for a given value of truth. You can be a nay-sayer or a yea sayer... and I will affirm life above all things even if it means I die a siphilitic madman who thinks he's napoleon and the orderly (who looks like a gay biker) is his jospehine...

Sucker.

and having your mind whilst hiding in a hole and hating the world is any better? I will not make notes from underground, I intend to dance along a wire from on point to the other.

Efrim

Your metaphor is very well thought out and fairly accurate. Unfortunetly, the hack is a game for hippies and I am now required by law to call you a Patchouli-stinking hippie, you patchouli-stinking hippie.

Ok. I apologize for the preceding outburst, it had to be done.
"There comes a time when every man feels the urge to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and start slitting throats." -- H.L. Mencken

L,
Efrim

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: EfrimYour metaphor is very well thought out and fairly accurate. Unfortunetly, the hack is a game for hippies and I am now required by law to call you a Patchouli-stinking hippie, you patchouli-stinking hippie.

Indeed.  You could have let it slide, but that would be wrong.

Efrim

Quote from: EfrimYour metaphor is very well thought out and fairly accurate. Unfortunetly, the hack is a game for hippies and I am now required by law to call you a Patchouli-stinking hippie, you patchouli-stinking hippie.

Damn straight. Gotta let the people know. Fight the good fight...
"There comes a time when every man feels the urge to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and start slitting throats." -- H.L. Mencken

L,
Efrim

Trollax

Quote from: Efrim

Damn straight. Gotta let the people know. Fight the good fight...

hucks his hack into the air... Well I guess that means I am also a patchouli-stinking hippie... aside from the fact that I look like a conservative nerd and smell of aftershave...

MOTHER! GIVE ME THE MOON!

MedeoPlusPlus

If playing Hacky-Sack makes one a hippie...

...then my school is the next Haight-Ashbury...
1. e4             e5
2. Bc4           Bc5
3. Qf3           Ne7
4. Qxf7++