News:

If you can't abuse it, it's not power.

Main Menu

EoC's World of Dispatching

Started by Eater of Clowns, September 30, 2010, 01:32:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eater of Clowns

Quote from: Doktor Howl on June 05, 2015, 04:10:31 PM
I can't see Ham gangs making drive-by shootings.  They're always at home in their "radio room".

Citizen's Band hooligans, though...I remember the days of terror back in the 70s, when the Coleco corporation irresponsibly put the power of the "CB40" into the hands of millions of impressionable kids and stupid people.  You learned to duck every time a Gran Fury turned down your block.  Their war cry was "HOW MUCH AM I PUSHING?" or "WHAT'S YOUR 20?" which were in fact the only things ever said over a CB radio that was not installed in a semi.

They started in the 70s, but they never really died out until the advent of affordable flip phones.

It's possible that he's CB and I just don't know the difference in spite of actually using a radio to make my living.   :lulz:
Quote from: Pippa Twiddleton on December 22, 2012, 01:06:36 AM
EoC, you are the bane of my existence.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 07, 2014, 01:18:23 AM
EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Eater of Clowns on June 05, 2015, 12:12:28 PM
Quote from: Richter on June 05, 2015, 01:09:07 AM
Quote from: Eater of Clowns on June 04, 2015, 10:11:03 PM
And I look around the room and I wonder who is next.

Wrong question, perhaps.  I wonder HOW will the next one go?

It's been a pattern of every other crazy so far.

1. Gastric bypass gave her a confidence boost so she started trying to cheat on her husband. She got taken in by an online dating scam, moved to Colorado to shack up with a nonexistent dude, leaving her husband and three kids behind.

2. Took another job closer to home.

3.  Gastric bypass meds don't work well with alcohol, or alcoholism. Came into work one day parking by the inmate intake gate, couldn't find his way up the stairs. Tried to prevent his leaving while intoxicated but the guy struggled free and left, dragging feces across the floor as she shat himself.

4.  Took a job with better hours for her family.

5.  HAM RADIO GANGS.

So we'll probably have one or two more leave for greener pastures, and another two or three years from now have a somehow grander, more disturbing meltdown. My money is on 3rd gastric bypass guy or maybe lap band lady, just because fucking with your gastrointestinal tract seems to have a pretty profound effect on your psyche.

Hey, I'm writing a paper about this!
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Eater of Clowns

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on June 05, 2015, 04:12:30 PM

1. Gastric bypass gave her a confidence boost so she started trying to cheat on her husband. She got taken in by an online dating scam, moved to Colorado to shack up with a nonexistent dude, leaving her husband and three kids behind.

3.  Gastric bypass meds don't work well with alcohol, or alcoholism. Came into work one day parking by the inmate intake gate, couldn't find his way up the stairs. Tried to prevent his leaving while intoxicated but the guy struggled free and left, dragging feces across the floor as she shat himself.

5.  HAM RADIO GANGS.

So we'll probably have one or two more leave for greener pastures, and another two or three years from now have a somehow grander, more disturbing meltdown. My money is on 3rd gastric bypass guy or maybe lap band lady, just because fucking with your gastrointestinal tract seems to have a pretty profound effect on your psyche.

Yeah! I've read your references to the brain-gut connection and seen other info floating around. I would like to say anecdotally at least that I've noticed a pattern of people with gastric bypass and impaired decision making skills, but I never knew them before the surgery. The decisions leading up to it, including the one to get it at all, were no doubt poor to begin with.
Quote from: Pippa Twiddleton on December 22, 2012, 01:06:36 AM
EoC, you are the bane of my existence.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 07, 2014, 01:18:23 AM
EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Eater of Clowns on June 05, 2015, 04:27:05 PM
Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on June 05, 2015, 04:12:30 PM

5.  HAM RADIO GANGS.

Yeah! I've read your references to the brain-gut connection and seen other info floating around. I would like to say anecdotally at least that I've noticed a pattern of people with gastric bypass and impaired decision making skills, but I never knew them before the surgery. The decisions leading up to it, including the one to get it at all, were no doubt poor to begin with.

I don't know, that might be a bit much to assume. Being obese doesn't mean they were poor decision makers, there can be a lot of contributing factors, especially given that obesity of that severity usually starts in childhood.

However, I would be very interested in pre-and-post surgery cognitive assessments and maybe default network fMRI on people who have lap band surgeries, just to see if there are any observable differences.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Junkenstein

I can't see Ham gangs making drive-by shootings.  They're always at home in their "radio room".

Citizen's Band hooligans, though...I remember the days of terror back in the 70s, when the Coleco corporation irresponsibly put the power of the "CB40" into the hands of millions of impressionable kids and stupid people.  You learned to duck every time a Gran Fury turned down your block.  Their war cry was "HOW MUCH AM I PUSHING?" or "WHAT'S YOUR 20?" which were in fact the only things ever said over a CB radio that was not installed in a semi.

They started in the 70s, but they never really died out until the advent of affordable flip phones.

What I'm trying to understand is how it all started. One guy with a radio reaching out into the void. A voice comes back and a gang is born?  Wild crazy outlaws that answer to no man except authorities. Mystery men who work from their home address. Brought together by the powers of agoraphobia and a willingness to make pointless hoax calls.

Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Junkenstein on June 07, 2015, 01:02:32 AM

What I'm trying to understand is how it all started. One guy with a radio reaching out into the void. A voice comes back and a gang is born?  Wild crazy outlaws that answer to no man except authorities. Mystery men who work from their home address. Brought together by the powers of agoraphobia and a willingness to make pointless hoax calls.

Someone had to be the first person to buy a 40 channel CB radio.

Everyone else was still on 9, 11, and 14.  This guy had 37 channels of dead air to flip through at his leisure.

It's worth noting that Betty Ford, during the worst stages of her substance abuse, was a CB fanatic under the handle "First Mama".  This is fact, however horrifying.

Molon Lube

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Doktor Howl on June 07, 2015, 05:51:07 AM

Everyone else was still on 9, 11, and 14.  This guy had 37 channels of dead air to flip through at his leisure.

It's worth noting that Betty Ford, during the worst stages of her substance abuse, was a CB fanatic under the handle "First Mama".  This is fact, however horrifying.

I can no longer tell reality from jokes. For real. I can't tell if this is a wisecrack or a piece of historical trivia.

Dubya

The Guide Doc is definitive. Reality is frequently inaccurate.

But google pops up several sites all supporting Betty Fords CB handle.

:horrormirth:
"Gold Medalist of the 2015 David Cameron Memorial Barnyard Olympics."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Dubya on June 07, 2015, 10:48:43 PM

That's DELIGHTFUL! If t had been just a few years later she would probably have been a BBS geek!

Dubya

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on June 08, 2015, 01:17:14 AM

That's DELIGHTFUL! If t had been just a few years later she would probably have been a BBS geek!

Best I could come up with in my currently shell-shocked state: I'm still trying to wrap my head around HAM RADIO GANGS.
"Gold Medalist of the 2015 David Cameron Memorial Barnyard Olympics."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Dubya on June 08, 2015, 01:49:18 AM
Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on June 08, 2015, 01:17:14 AM

Best I could come up with in my currently shell-shocked state: I'm still trying to wrap my head around HAM RADIO GANGS.

:lol:

They were the precursor of the BBS, in multiple ways.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on June 07, 2015, 07:11:09 AM
Quote from: Doktor Howl on June 07, 2015, 05:51:07 AM

I can no longer tell reality from jokes. For real. I can't tell if this is a wisecrack or a piece of historical trivia.

It is, sadly, very true.
Molon Lube

Cain

Would this make Ham radio operators like the Peaky Blinders of organised crime?