News:

Yes we're horrible toxic people, because this is 2020's Mental Illness Olympics, and the winners get a free pass on giving life-threatening advice with the bonus of having zero accountability for their shit behaviour.

Main Menu

How to write

Started by Cain, September 26, 2008, 06:35:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hooplala

Quote from: nostalgicBadger on October 29, 2008, 07:10:07 PM
Quote from: Hoopla on October 29, 2008, 06:58:23 PM
Do you come here to converse, nB?  Or to impose your ridiculous opinions on others?

I'm seriously interested in the answer.

Truth:

I used to come here to converse, but ever since I made some over-the-top post about why Philip K. Dick can't write worth shit and most of the active members decided that everything I say is automatically wrong - you must admit, it's a hilarious coincidence that people began to flame every post I've made immediately since that thread - I pretty much just drop by to fuck with you guys when I feel like procrastinating.

I feel kind of bad about the small handful of regulars who I do have some respect for, but I'm seriously convinced that I could have more interesting conversations on 4chan than with most of you. They have all the same memes, too, and their general disdain for all major political candidates is somehow refreshing compared pd's (homo)erotic obsession with Obama.

Holy shit.

Is 4chan more tolerable than you?

I wouldn't know, I've never been to 4chan, but you can probably ask IANAR for an opinion.

I think the problem is that a lot of people just don't like you.  When I don't like someone I tend to not engage them in an overly serious manner, I tend to fuck with them a bit.  It seems like that is rather common around here.

So, you fuck with us, we fuck back with you.  Finger cuffs.  Tar baby.
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

nostalgicBadger

Quote from: Rabbi LMNO on October 29, 2008, 07:11:52 PM
Aw, it's just that it's so fun to fuck with you, and your whining, pathetic attempts at thought.

PD.COM: "STFU and throw around old memes."
meh.

LMNO

When it's not worth it to rise above, why not?

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: nostalgicBadger on October 29, 2008, 07:10:07 PM
Truth:

I used to come here to converse, but ever since I made some over-the-top post about why Philip K. Dick can't write worth shit and most of the active members decided that everything I say is automatically wrong

No... I came to the conclusion that everything you say is automatically wrong LONG before that, on the basis that just about everything you post is stupid.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Triple Zero

Yeah, I distinctly remember nB being flamed a lot for saying dumbass shit long before that pathetic attempt at social experiment/troll/conversing.

wait, conversing? it must have been an attempt at conversing right? cause you said you stopped after that thread?

hehehe
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Kai

Quote from: nostalgicBadger on October 29, 2008, 12:14:25 AM
Quote from: Kai on October 28, 2008, 11:31:00 PM
Quote from: nostalgicBadger on October 25, 2008, 10:51:46 PM
Or you could pull a Hunter S. Thompson and type out the Great Gatsby over and over again.

Or you could, oh, I don't know, actually learn the mechanics of writing (as an artist learns the mechanics of painting) and write something original.

Which I'm sure you learn from reading "On Writing" by Steven King lol

It helped to know that no reader likes excessive adverbs and over pretentious punctuation. Perhaps you are the exception?

The best point King had in his book was reading makes you a better writer and writing makes you a better reader. Language is a very malleable formula. If you know how the forumula works you can shape it for effect. Part of using the formula is understanding what works and what doesn't for particular audiences. Therefore, writers (especially sucessful writers) are useful sources of information on writing. Finnegan's Wake may be a classic, but if you are trying to reach a certain audience not so esoteric in their reading ability then a Joycean format is not the best way to go. Furthermore, Joycean style writing is a horrible format for a novel, because a good novel entraps the reader in their entertainment. This is known as flow.

Writing is a skill that is learned. One of the best ways to learn a skill is from those who are skilled. When you become skilled it is your job to do something original, or at least entertaining.
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

nostalgicBadger

Quote from: Triple Zero on November 01, 2008, 11:10:51 PM
Yeah, I distinctly remember nB being flamed a lot for saying dumbass shit long before that pathetic attempt at social experiment/troll/conversing.

wait, conversing? it must have been an attempt at conversing right? cause you said you stopped after that thread?

hehehe

I don't remember this.

Citations?
meh.

Triple Zero

Like, let's say we already checked and didn't find anything. :roll:
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Brotep

Quote from: Kai on November 01, 2008, 11:39:11 PM
The best point King had in his book was reading makes you a better writer and writing makes you a better reader. Language is a very malleable formula. If you know how the forumula works you can shape it for effect.

When reading the work of a great writer, I understand things about writing I didn't before and don't after (unless I crystallize that knowledge by applying it).

indigoblade

:lulz: This thread is a wonerful read! :D
What?

Cain

http://www.demonoid.com/files/details/1808812/9155768/

Its about 8 gig...I have managed to whittle that down to about 130 MB, through judicious picking and choosing.

Requia ☣

Hmm, anyone have stuff on writing academic papers?
Inflatable dolls are not recognized flotation devices.

Cain

Yes.

I'll upload it on the weekend.

fenris23

How to write: Write, like, a lot.

Slightly less tersely:

1. Love words, love language
2. Build a good vocabulary
3. Read a lot (this helps with 2)
4. Say exactly what you mean (2 helps with this)
5. Use only as many words as are necessary to get your message across
6. The message includes the feeling or tone you want to get across (also known as the Faulkner exemption)
7. Write a lot (it takes ten thousand hours to master something, supposedly)

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Spoken as a true necromancer.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."