News:

Endorsement:  I know that all of you fucking discordians are just a bunch of haters who seem to do anything you can to distance yourself from fucking anarchists which is just fine and dandy sit in your house on your computer and type inane shite all day until your fingers fall off.

Main Menu

tulpas :^)

Started by Meunster, December 12, 2014, 01:09:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Johnny

<<My image in some places, is of a monster of some kind who wants to pull a string and manipulate people. Nothing could be further from the truth. People are manipulated; I just want them to be manipulated more effectively.>>

-B.F. Skinner

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: The Johnny on December 12, 2014, 11:45:47 PM
http://www.diffen.com/difference/Psychopath_vs_Sociopath   :?

That entry does a pretty poor job of expressing the difference, IMO. From the reading I've done, mostly the books by Hare and Kiehl, psychopathy is a heritable condition that is primarily biologically-based, while sociopathy is an environmentally-induced condition.

The lines there really blur, because having the genetic predisposition for psychopathy is not a guarantee that it will develop. However, I think they make the distinction because sociopathy is a condition that was unlikely to be the default condition of the sufferer without significant social factors, and can often be treated, while psychopathy is more likely  to emerge without significant social factors, and is less tractable.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

The Johnny

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on December 12, 2014, 11:57:47 PM

That entry does a pretty poor job of expressing the difference, IMO. From the reading I've done, mostly the books by Hare and Kiehl, psychopathy is a heritable condition that is primarily biologically-based, while sociopathy is an environmentally-induced condition.

The lines there really blur, because having the genetic predisposition for psychopathy is not a guarantee that it will develop. However, I think they make the distinction because sociopathy is a condition that was unlikely to be the default condition of the sufferer without significant social factors, and can often be treated, while psychopathy is more likely  to emerge without significant social factors, and is less tractable.

May i ask why it bothers you so much that people interchangeably use the terms when the terms themselves are so blurry?
<<My image in some places, is of a monster of some kind who wants to pull a string and manipulate people. Nothing could be further from the truth. People are manipulated; I just want them to be manipulated more effectively.>>

-B.F. Skinner

Doktor Howl

I don't know shit about them, but I always thought sociopaths didn't recognize other people as real, and psychopaths were the same way but are actively amused by causing harm, rather than just uncaring.
Molon Lube

The Johnny

How ive understood it previously, is that psychopaths do criminal activity for the pleasure, the profit or the narcissistic component in a very cold and planned manner... serial killers, bankers; while sociopaths do criminal activity out of necessity but still having empathy and probably feel guilty about things theyve done, but they still do it because they have more empathy for those close to them than those they dont know (for example, all the Guadalupan Cholos, that, even with a life of crime they believe in the Virgin Mary and repentance).

-B.F. Skinner

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: The Johnny on December 13, 2014, 12:03:28 AM

May i ask why it bothers you so much that people interchangeably use the terms when the terms themselves are so blurry?

Because I think the distinction is significant due to the origins of each, even if there is overlap.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Cain on December 12, 2014, 04:06:03 PM
Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on December 12, 2014, 03:50:34 PM
No, the Tibetans only take shit form China.

That is, because like the Italians and Druids, Chinese people are not white.

Quotestonehenge was made by a celtic group of priests called the druids.
:lulz: Stopped reading right there.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Nephew Twiddleton

Nephew Twiddleton

It's great to see that research into the history of the British Isle's hasn't progressed beyond the fanciful nonsense of the 1800s. That applies equally to the supposed African connection as it does to the concept that the Druids existed before the Druids existed.

:lulz:

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Nepos twiddletonis on December 13, 2014, 06:20:10 AM
It's great to see that research into the history of the British Isle's hasn't progressed beyond the fanciful nonsense of the 1800s. That applies equally to the supposed African connection as it does to the concept that the Druids existed before the Druids existed.

They were very clever, those Druids.
Molon Lube

Cain

Quote from: Nepos twiddletonis on December 13, 2014, 06:20:10 AM

Yeah, tumblr is just basically a fact-free zone.  Even people attempting to correct other people are usually wrong.

Demolition Squid

One of my Pagan forum trolls back in the day was to pretend to be someone researching druids because I had lucid dreams/astral projections/a  spirit guide who said I used to be one.

Then ramp up the crazy until I'm asking them what athame is most Druidish for cutting out a man's still-beating heart or which knots would be most authentic to create my own wicker man for burning kids in. Alas, I was never good enough to pull it off so more than the most gullible people bought into it.  :sad:
Vast and Roaring Nipplebeast from the Dawn of Soho

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Well yeah, cause Tumblr

hooplala

The comparison chart in that link seems to contradict the information given above it.
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Hoopla on December 13, 2014, 04:38:53 PM

The comparison chart in that link seems to contradict the information given above it.

How so?