News:

And if you've misplaced your penis, never fear. This forum is full of dicks.

Main Menu

Sometimes, you really ARE at the center of a vast Kafka-esque conspiracy.

Started by East Coast Hustle, May 06, 2011, 06:49:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

East Coast Hustle

And sometimes you really ARE being watched, and sometimes they really ARE out to get you.

http://www.thestranger.com/seattle/the-long-con/Content?oid=7989613

QuoteBecause this story has to start somewhere, let's begin on any given night in early 2009. It's probably drizzling, and a cluster of people is standing outside the wooden apartment building on the corner of 11th Avenue and Pike Street, the one with motel-style exterior hallways and severely chipped paint. A lightbulb above one door is glowing green, a signal that visitors are welcome. When the lightbulb glows yellow, visitors are supposed to come back later. When the lightbulb glows red, they are supposed to keep away.

Sometimes when visitors enter the apartment, they're asked to hand over any weapons they might be carrying—hardly anybody ever is—and sometimes there's a cursory pat-down. Inside the apartment are a lot of artists, plus a military guy or two on a night away from the base. Some are sitting around a card table playing poker. Others are sitting on couches and chairs, smoking and drinking.

They're all being watched, but only one of them knows it.

There's Mia Brown, in the corner, who is into scuba diving and spends her days working with the homeless. There's Jake, a musician. There's Jimmy the Dwarf, an actor and model who works with a local circus troupe. There's Brady McGarry, who has devoted his free time over the years to political and environmental causes. There's DK Pan, a Butoh dancer, performance artist, and curator. There's Jaybird, a skinny kid in leather quietly trying to peddle small bags of cocaine. There's Thoren Honeycutt, who has a few priors for theft, including theft of a firearm. And there's Rick Wilson—tall, broad-shouldered, wearing a suit. This is Rick's apartment, called Rick's Cafe (un)American during Rick's after-hours parties.

For a time, some members of this crowd threw these after-hours parties at a place called the Cthulhu Building, just three blocks uphill from Rick's. Later, some members of this crowd will throw after-hours parties at a place in Belltown called Cafe Corsair. Attendees often referred to them as speakeasies, although the people running them merely thought of them as private parties in private places. Court documents would later call them "underground illegal gambling enterprises (concurrent with illegal liquor sales)." A lot of people went to these parties—they were big events with bands and burlesque dancers. Guests were encouraged to dress up and usually did. Sometimes it seemed like half the city was there in suits and vintage dresses: artists, activists, politicians, cultural bigwigs, musicians, computer programmers, soldiers, criminals.

A lot of these parties happened because Rick's good friend Bryan T. Owens had money and connections. Not everyone liked Bryan, but because he was Rick's good friend he was often around—drinking Maker's and Coke after-hours, playing poker, telling stories. He had a bald head and a goatee and a blustery bro-dude personality—one of the party regulars described him as a "mini–Fred Durst"—but he was a trust-fund baby and he was generous with his cash.

Shit gets deeply fucked-up from there, and Kiley does a great job of trying to document exactly how many millions of taxpayer dollars and police and FBI man-hours were wasted on this bizarre and discomforting case.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

The Good Reverend Roger

Nothing makes governments more nervous than people having fun in unapproved ways.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

East Coast Hustle

Did you read the entire article? That unapproved fun was set up and funded by the government.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Rip City Hustle on May 06, 2011, 07:01:33 PM
Did you read the entire article? That unapproved fun was set up and funded by the government.

No, I didn't, but I'm hardly surprised.  Lemme go take a look.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

LMNO

Long article, but good.  This is totally the kind of thing I'd expect in the W years.

The Good Reverend Roger

East Coast Hustle

Jasper

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Rip City Hustle on May 06, 2011, 07:54:53 PM
Right?

And people don't understand my deep love of Seattle.

Tucson, on the other hand, is underfunded, understaffed, and have real crimes to deal with.

I think we actually have the best (though not the most effective) police force in the country.

Cain

I've only got to the paragraph after where Brady gets bailed out with his rent by Bryan.   Lemme guess: Bryan is an undercover FBI informant/agent provocateur?

LMNO

Bingo.

The fucked up part is how long and how much the cops spent on this sting.  Oh, and the level of entrapment.

The Good Reverend Roger

Hey, guys.

Remember Jackelope?

ETA:  Also, I trust Storebrand as far as I can throw her, for very good reasons.

LMNO

Cain

Jack was posting from what appeared to be an Air Force Base.

I always figure, if the spooks are watching the Quakers and the Rotary Club (and they are), chances are they're watching damn near everyone else.