News:

PD.com: More merciless than a statue of Ming.

Main Menu

Air to Water Dehumidifiers?

Started by Jasper, October 05, 2008, 08:38:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jasper

http://www.elementfour.com/

A device that extracts potable water from thin air.

I'm skeptical, myself.  Anyone heard of these or seen them work?

Kai

Quote from: Felix on October 05, 2008, 08:38:21 PM
http://www.elementfour.com/

A device that extracts potable water from thin air.

I'm skeptical, myself.  Anyone heard of these or seen them work?

I don't know about potable water but my parents have been using dehumidifiers for years. The problem is of course that A) it takes energy to draw humidity out of the air, usually by cooling a series of coils, and B) you have to have enough moisture in the air so there is a gradient. It also doesn't work well below certain temperatures.

Oh, and I forgot, its also distilled water, which is not healthy over extended periods.
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

Jasper

What's wrong with distilled water?

Kai

Quote from: Felix on October 05, 2008, 10:06:02 PM
What's wrong with distilled water?

Because it lacks ions, it has a tendency to cause decline in concentration in tissues over time, especially bones. In metaphorical terms, since distilled water has nothing in it, it acts like an ion magnet, drawing ions downgradient out of cells.
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Jasper

Is it not a good idea to remineralize water?  I'm not even positive that's a cogent question the way I phrased it.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

There is nothing wrong with drinking distilled water if you're eating normally, but it's not good for you if you're fasting because it pulls too much mineral out of your body and can result in electrolyte imbalance.

Otherwise, it's fine. It's just water. You can add a pinch of salt if you're worried about ions, which you really probably don't need to be if you eat food.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Weirdly, I only know this because I just had this conversation with one of my two best friends, who is a doctor of chemistry. We were actually discussing that bottled water that has extra ions added and LOLing ourselves sick over the pseudo-scientifical jargon all over the label.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Jasper

That's rather what I thought.  As long as you're getting enough calcium, magnesium and sodium, you should be okay.

Kai

Alright.

I guess its still a good idea I don't drink distilled water. I don't eat a massive amount.

Roo

Quote from: Nigel on October 06, 2008, 12:32:08 AM
Weirdly, I only know this because I just had this conversation with one of my two best friends, who is a doctor of chemistry. We were actually discussing that bottled water that has extra ions added and LOLing ourselves sick over the pseudo-scientifical jargon all over the label.
Is that SmartWater?

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Roo on October 06, 2008, 12:51:23 AM
Is that SmartWater?

I think that's the brand! Hilarious.

Kai, unless you are malnourished or drink too much water, you would be perfectly alright drinking distilled water, although honestly I think it tastes disgusting and no one should drink it.

Jasper

I'm pretty sure minerals can be added for flavor and nutrition.

Roo

Quote from: Nigel on October 06, 2008, 01:13:55 AM
Is that SmartWater?

Kai, unless you are malnourished or drink too much water, you would be perfectly alright drinking distilled water, although honestly I think it tastes disgusting and no one should drink it.
Out of all the bottled waters, that's probably my favorite. It's the only one that doesn't leave an aftertaste, imo. But considering that it's "vapor distilled", I guess it needs the extra ions?

Iason Ouabache

Quote from: Felix on October 06, 2008, 12:33:04 AM
That's rather what I thought.  As long as you're getting enough calcium, magnesium and sodium, you should be okay.
The bottled water that I have experience making adds magnesium sulfate, potassium chloride, and and sodium chloride. I assume because of the reasons Kai stated.

Quote from: Nigel on October 06, 2008, 01:13:55 AM
Is that SmartWater?

:lulz: Yeah, they are a bit of a joke. 
You cannot fathom the immensity of the fuck i do not give.
    \
┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Felix on October 06, 2008, 02:16:10 AM
I'm pretty sure minerals can be added for flavor and nutrition.

Yeah but then it's not "pure" anymore. Might as well just start out with delicious spring water with all of its delicious mineral impurities!