News:

MysticWicks endorsement: "At least Satanists HAVE a worldview. After reading this thread, I'm convinced that discordians not only don't, but will actively mock anyone who does."

Main Menu

Defensive Personalities

Started by AFK, December 12, 2006, 02:50:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AFK

I was thinking about this during my commute to work this morning.

Assuming one of our aims with BIP, etc. is to open minds, how do you deal with a defensive personality?  Or do you?

I'm just thinking you can start an honest and civil discussion with someone about BIP/Discordian ideas, etc.  In general sort of terms of course.

Then, if you are dealing with someone who tends to be quite defensive, you get to that point where something snaps in their head:  "Wait, are you preaching to me?"  or "Are you trying to convert me?" or something along those lines.

Is there a way to diffuse this? 

Thoughts?
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

l0c0dantes

I think the best way to do it would be to screen your audience in advance. If you were to know someone was deeply religous, you would be better off not giving anything a name, because it is less scary / disturbing / diffrent that way

Cain

I play it by ear but there are a number of ways to get past a defensive person's metality.  Several of them are, to me, quite underhand and possibly dangerous in the wrong hands, but the most simple advice is to understand their worldview, sympathise with it and work from within that model to undermine it.

LMNO

Tone and attitude are two major things to watch out for.

That, and use of buzzwords.

If you can steer a conversation towards BIP concepts, you shouldn't sound preachy, and you aren't trying to "win". ¬†You're trying for self-discovery. ¬†If you sound preachy, or use differnently-defined words (Prison Break, Barstool, Machine,Ñ¢, CoN, etc), your subject won't come to the conclusions themselves, they'll feel they are being fed a crock of shit.

And you can't give them the whole spiel at once, you have to let them digest the small bits of it first, and then maybe they'll be able to see a lager picture.

LMNO

Quote from: Cain on December 12, 2006, 02:55:31 PM
I play it by ear but there are a number of ways to get past a defensive person's metality.  Several of them are, to me, quite underhand and possibly dangerous in the wrong hands, but the most simple advice is to understand their worldview, sympathise with it and work from within that model to undermine it.

That sounds suspiciously like Scientology, actually.

Cain

Quote from: LMNO on December 12, 2006, 02:57:46 PM
Quote from: Cain on December 12, 2006, 02:55:31 PM

That sounds suspiciously like Scientology, actually.

Dr Heracy passed along a small ton of text files on Scientology to me a while back.  I also have several dozen books on eliciting information from people - from police interrogation techniques to body language to so-called seduction techniques.  All of them come down to the same basic idea, really, though the approaches are different based on context and aim.

LMNO

And let's not forget L Ron spent quite a lot of time with Crowley and the Golden Dawn.

Cain

I thought it was the OTO he was more involved with?  Though of course I don't doubt Crowley took most of their useful stuff with him to the OTO.

LMNO

Maybe it was the OTO.

But I do recall a rumor that L Ron and AC tried to create the Moonchild.

Cain

And ripped open bloody great holes in the fabric of reality.  But that was this century, so it had to be OTO.

LMNO

Gotcha.

Y'know, maybe I should get my Scientologist brother The Book of Lies for Xmas.

Thurnez Isa

your brothers a scientologist?

you probably know more about the religion then most of us

i haven't even heard of a scientologist up here
they probably havent pierced this far north
Through me the way to the city of woe, Through me the way to everlasting pain, Through me the way among the lost.
Justice moved my maker on high.
Divine power made me, Wisdom supreme, and Primal love.
Before me nothing was but things eternal, and eternal I endure.
Abandon all hope, you who enter here.

Dante

LMNO

Where you at?

Scientology seems to be everywhere.

Cain

Its not too hard to learn about Scientology, actually.  Despite the leadership's paranoia inspired secrecy, alt.scientology, operation clambake and xenu.net all have tons of good information and alt.scientology often puts up text versions of Scientology books and other works for the public to steal.

Thurnez Isa

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greater_Sudbury%2C_Ontario

honestly havent heard of any scientolgists
pretty sure they dont have a church anywhere up here
though they maybe really underground
Through me the way to the city of woe, Through me the way to everlasting pain, Through me the way among the lost.
Justice moved my maker on high.
Divine power made me, Wisdom supreme, and Primal love.
Before me nothing was but things eternal, and eternal I endure.
Abandon all hope, you who enter here.

Dante