News:

There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.

Main Menu

What is your Dream?

Started by AFK, January 15, 2007, 07:18:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

B_M_W

Quote from: Rev. What's-His-Name? on January 15, 2007, 09:18:40 PM
I hear you.  When I get a little more time, hopefully this summer, I want to get a band started up to get some of my songs out.  Not to land a record deal or anything, just to get out and play.  I miss performing, it's been far too long since the last time I performed anywhere. 

Hopefully sometime in the next few years my Uncle will let me use his recording studio to put some stuff on cd, at least. It would be nice.
One by one, we break the sheep from their Iron Bar Prisons and expand their imaginations, make them think for themselves. In turn, they break more from their prisons. Eventually, critical mass is reached. Our key word: Resolve. Evangelize with compassion and determination. And realize that there will be few in the beginning. We are hand picking our successors. They are the future of Discordianism. Let us guide our future with intelligence.

--Reverse Brainwashing: A Guide http://www.principiadiscordia.com/forum/index.php?topic=9801.0

6.5 billion Buddhas walking around.

99.xxxxxxx% forgot they are Buddha.

Mangrove

my dream has (for a long time) been that i must earn my $$s from my own skills rather than working for someone else.

for a long time, i didn't know exactly how i would do that. it was just a 'sense' that i should be my own niche as it were. i played around with writing (published a few scraps) and music (got nowhere).

however, right now i am close because my business will be up and running soon. i'll be running what i've been referring to as 'mangrove's insititute for soft-tissue dysfunction'.

so i'm here in the US with mrs mang' and will be living from my bodywork skills. i'm pretty happy about that. mrs mang' has a regular job but is bolstering that up with her painting.  if it gets big enough, she might can her job and just paint.

our goal is to create & maintain a good standard of living. neither of us are especially interested in material acquisitions. she works for financial planners and they are stupidly rich, but constantly stressed about staying that way. i'd rather know that i've got enough cash to pay for a good dentist or make the house more energy efficient than buy a Hummer or a gigantic plasma tv. we want to be able to live comfortably and simply. neither of us want anything extravagant.

on a personal level i want to be able to travel to the UK on a regular basis because of my family.  i'd love to be able to visit japan and egypt. i'll keeping working on SSOOKN projects and keep expanding the archives.
What makes it so? Making it so is what makes it so.

Thurnez Isa

BMW
I had a ton of problems memorizing myself, untill I adopted this method (admittingly I havn't preformed a memorize piece in over a year)
1) I clap out the rythm of the song, usually taking it in sections if its a longer piece
2) I go through the complete song, marking my fignering, both right and left... make sure everything is how I should learn it. All the dynamics. In otherwords I mark the shit out of my score. If i can't mark the score I make a photocopy of it.
When I was in school I would usually get a second opinion on this as well, as sometimes others can see a fingering that is more practical.
I make sure everything is "confortable" before I procede
3) Then I start at the END of the song. If its a 65 barre song I learn barre 65. Play forwards then backwards, forwards then backwards (Im generalizing in barres here, sometimes I would learn two barres at once, or three depending on the song)
4) Then go back a barre - so barre 64, Play forwards and backwards, forwards and backwards
5) Then I go to the middle of the first of the two barres I learned and play that forward to the middle of the second. So the middle of 64 to the middle of 65. This way Im reinforcing the transition between the two barres
6) continue working backwards till I get a full phrase, in which I play forwards several times, paying attention to dynamics and voicing, ect.
7) Learn to the beginning in this manor
I find that learning a song backwards builds confidence, cause rather then going from something I know very well and playing towards something I know less Im always going towards something I know better
Learning like this is not for everyong and you have make sure you do steps one and two very well, cause its hard to change fingering if you already developed the bad habits
make sure you know EVERYTHING you can about the song before you memorize it. Where it's going to peak, how the dynamics are going to flow, ect.
Through me the way to the city of woe, Through me the way to everlasting pain, Through me the way among the lost.
Justice moved my maker on high.
Divine power made me, Wisdom supreme, and Primal love.
Before me nothing was but things eternal, and eternal I endure.
Abandon all hope, you who enter here.

Dante

Thurnez Isa

oh another little hint when learning yourself
buy children's books
in Classical Guitar children books are far better organized and procede a much deaper level then ones made for adults
This goes for a lot of instuments actually
Adult books tend to jump over some VERY Important information, which maybe just too simple for them to add
Through me the way to the city of woe, Through me the way to everlasting pain, Through me the way among the lost.

Dante

B_M_W

Quote from: Thurnez Isa on January 15, 2007, 09:31:29 PM
BMW
I had a ton of problems memorizing myself, untill I adopted this method (admittingly I havn't preformed a memorize piece in over a year)
1) I clap out the rythm of the song, usually taking it in sections if its a longer piece
2) I go through the complete song, marking my fignering, both right and left... make sure everything is how I should learn it. All the dynamics. In otherwords I mark the shit out of my score. If i can't mark the score I make a photocopy of it.
When I was in school I would usually get a second opinion on this as well, as sometimes others can see a fingering that is more practical.
I make sure everything is "confortable" before I procede
3) Then I start at the END of the song. If its a 65 barre song I learn barre 65. Play forwards then backwards, forwards then backwards (Im generalizing in barres here, sometimes I would learn two barres at once, or three depending on the song)
4) Then go back a barre - so barre 64, Play forwards and backwards, forwards and backwards
5) Then I go to the middle of the first of the two barres I learned and play that forward to the middle of the second. So the middle of 64 to the middle of 65. This way Im reinforcing the transition between the two barres
6) continue working backwards till I get a full phrase, in which I play forwards several times, paying attention to dynamics and voicing, ect.
7) Learn to the beginning in this manor
I find that learning a song backwards builds confidence, cause rather then going from something I know very well and playing towards something I know less Im always going towards something I know better
Learning like this is not for everyong and you have make sure you do steps one and two very well, cause its hard to change fingering if you already developed the bad habits
make sure you know EVERYTHING you can about the song before you memorize it. Where it's going to peak, how the dynamics are going to flow, ect.

Okay, two questions:

1. When you say forward and backwards, do you actually mean that you play the succession of notes backwards? Like if you had a string of eighths, you would actually play that string of eighths from the end of the measure to the begining of the mesure?

2. How exactly do you mark your fingering? Do you mark it differently for each hand? (I already circle all the sharps and flats in a piece I am learning.)
One by one, we break the sheep from their Iron Bar Prisons and expand their imaginations, make them think for themselves. In turn, they break more from their prisons. Eventually, critical mass is reached. Our key word: Resolve. Evangelize with compassion and determination. And realize that there will be few in the beginning. We are hand picking our successors. They are the future of Discordianism. Let us guide our future with intelligence.

--Reverse Brainwashing: A Guide http://www.principiadiscordia.com/forum/index.php?topic=9801.0

B_M_W

Quote from: Thurnez Isa on January 15, 2007, 09:35:05 PM
oh another little hint when learning yourself
buy children's books
in Classical Guitar children books are far better organized and procede a much deaper level then ones made for adults
This goes for a lot of instuments actually
Adult books tend to jump over some VERY Important information, which maybe just too simple for them to add

You mean, like the suzuki series?

Thurnez Isa

1. forwards, backwards means you play the notes of the barre from the first note to the last note, then the last note to the first note. Yes, Backwards. For some reason the brain can pick up patterns very well, both forwards and backwards. So by playing in reverse your reinforcing what you already learned forward.

2. Right hand is usually marked under the barre - T - thumb, I - index , M -middle, A - ect. Try not to repeat a finger, as will slow you down, Try not to go M to I up a string, or A to M, go I to M or M to A, as that is more confortable
Left hand usually is above the notes 1 - index 2 - middle - 3 - ect. 4 - pinky
large numbers in circles are the postions - 1st, possition, 2nd, ect.
Wendsday Ill probably have some time to go over my notes and books to recomend, or find some online resources for you

3) I haven't actually seen the suzuki books, but heard rave reviews. Its almost like a different form of teaching all together, but since i know very little about it, I can't comment on it.
I find the Aaron Shearer series very good. Its not a childrens book really and the songs he gets you to play are beyond boring, but the way it explains techniques, and fingering, and how to mark fingering is possibly one of the best ways I know of

Dante

B_M_W

Quote from: Thurnez Isa on January 15, 2007, 09:55:38 PM
1. forwards, backwards means you play the notes of the barre from the first note to the last note, then the last note to the first note. Yes, Backwards. For some reason the brain can pick up patterns very well, both forwards and backwards. So by playing in reverse your reinforcing what you already learned forward.

2. Right hand is usually marked under the barre - T - thumb, I - index , M -middle, A - ect. Try not to repeat a finger, as will slow you down, Try not to go M to I up a string, or A to M, go I to M or M to A, as that is more confortable
Left hand usually is above the notes 1 - index 2 - middle - 3 - ect. 4 - pinky
large numbers in circles are the postions - 1st, possition, 2nd, ect.
Wendsday Ill probably have some time to go over my notes and books to recomend, or find some online resources for you

3) I haven't actually seen the suzuki books, but heard rave reviews. Its almost like a different form of teaching all together, but since i know very little about it, I can't comment on it.
I find the Aaron Shearer series very good. Its not a childrens book really and the songs he gets you to play are beyond boring, but the way it explains techniques, and fingering, and how to mark fingering is possibly one of the best ways I know of

1. Okay, I get ya. I'll try it.

2. and I'll try that too. And I'll put position in too, although for the most part I didn't learn positions. I just kinda try stuff in first position, and if it doesn't work, I try it in a different one. I can only sight read first position. And I've read just about everything there is to read online about technique. I really like this one tablature website that I found, just google classical guitar tablature for it. And I have lots of books. If you bring up a well known classical guitar piece, I prolly have it, or have at least heard of it.

LHX

im gonna miss yall when we are done overthrowing Teh Machine

(tears accumulating ITT)
neat hell

B_M_W

Quote from: LHX on January 16, 2007, 12:05:16 AM

(tears accumulating ITT)

Wait...you can actually do that?

LHX

neat hell

AFK

(tears accumulating ITT)

Oh you haven't heard, Verthaine says there is a big party being planned in the Afterlife.  Perhaps there will be rewards afterall.   :-D
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Mangrove

Quote from: Rev. What's-His-Name? on January 16, 2007, 02:18:50 PM

(tears accumulating ITT)

Oh you haven't heard, Verthaine says there is a big party being planned in the Afterlife.  Perhaps there will be rewards afterall.   :-D

Verthaine is multi-dimensional, so it'll be like attending 100 different parties at the same time   :wink:
What makes it so? Making it so is what makes it so.

LHX

i mean after the afterlife party

the after-after-party

after
the laughter

(rhymes)
neat hell

B_M_W