News:

PD.com: Taoism in a clown costume.

Main Menu

Syndemics

Started by AFK, June 15, 2007, 09:36:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AFK

So, syndemics.

Syndemics are multiple, related afflictions. 
An example:

ADHD <--> Conduct Disorder <--> Addictions <--> Domestic Violence

Four afflictions, with some common ties:  impulsivity, brain chemistry, diet (Omega 6 to Omega 3 consumption ratio), accidental attention to negative behavior, media, etc.

There are 5 Syndemic structures:

1.  Caused by the same biological agent (ex. rise in Omega-6 consumption causes bipolar, depression, asthma, diabetes, learning disabilities & violence)
2.  Share risk or protective behaviors  (ex. TV in children's bedrooms linked to increased obesity, diabetes, ADHD, mood disorders, etc.)
3.  Respond to similar environmental conditions (ex. Lack of cooperative play at home and recess is increasing bullying, aggression, obesity, ADHD, mood disorders and overall health)
4.  Have reciprocal or interdependent effects (ex. Low omega-3 consumption increases cravings for alcohol and drugs.  High consumption of alcohol and drugs reduce omega-3, which increase mood disorders and suicidal thoughts.)
5.  Are managed by the same, similar, or reciprocal organizations (ex. Schools, Health Care, and Juvenile Courts)

So what's the point of all this?  The point is that in my field there are these concepts called "kernels" that have been developed that when implemented can affect multiple related afflictions, or the syndemics.  An example is the Good Behaviour Game I talked about in the Intellectual Intoxication thread in Apple Talk.  This is called a Reinforcement Kernel, because it is reinforcing good behaviour.  Studies have shown that this tactic has a resulting impact on ADHD, Tobacco use, Prenatal Drug Exposure, Addictions, Post Traumatic Stress Disorder, Mood Disorders, Violence Exposure and some others.  The idea that it is addressing the ties between the afflictions. 

So why do I even bring this up?  I see this kind of idea being applicable to some of the ideas we've discussed in BIP.  I think it is clear for any kind of change in our society(ies) we have to impact a system.  I think we can identify some multiple related afflictions, or syndemics.  the question then becomes, what kind of "kernels" could address them? 

In reality, we here are limited in what we can do, however, I think there still be some merit to contemplating this and exploring some of our own syndemics.  Anyhoo, I wanted to get this up before the weekend.  I'm going to think about this myself and hope to offer some more ideas on Monday.  If you want to read more about this stuff check out this site at the CDC:  http://www.cdc.gov/syndemics/overview.htm

Interesting stuff. 
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Triple Zero

interesting stuff for sure rwhn, thanks!
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

AFK

thought I'd share.  The guy who gave the lecture on this had all of these Glilffy-like flow charts up on the screen illustrating the connections and ties.  It just seemed like this had to have implications outside of the prevention field. 

Darth Cupcake

I found your original post really interesting, and I feel like there's something I want to say to it, but I'm not really sure what.

I am very curious about the link between bipolar/depression and Omega-6 consumption. Do you have anything more on that?

If not I'll give it a look myself this evening. I'm pretty curious, though.

The related afflictions stuff is very true, and really interesting in general. I interned a men's resource center at school, working on the curriculum/material for the overcoming domestic violence program they run. The way so much ties together is really fascinating, although I see a lot beyond just the physical issues. It really branches out into social maladies, if you will, as well. Social conditioning, etc.
Be the trouble you want to see in the world.

AFK

Well, in a nutshell, the ratio of Omega-6 to Omega-3 consumption can affect brain chemistry.  The Omega-6's tend to encourage pro-inflammatory reactions in the body, which affects the brain.  So it can encourage afflictions like psychiatric disorders, cardiovascular diseases, asthma, diabetes, etc.  The Omega-3's do the opposite.  They are anti-inflammatory and so tend to lead to better mental and physical health. 

The real conundrum with it though is with females.  One of the biggest sources of Omega-3's is fish.  Except, most doctors, as my wife's did, will warn about fish consumption during pregnancy because of mercury.  Of course doctors don't say to not eat fish, they just encourage the woman to watch what she eats.  Then you get knee-jerk reaction which leads to zero consumption.  But the good news is there are suppliments that help.  I know this information was really interesting to me and I know my diet is less then stellar.  I'm gonna see if I can track some of these things down at the Health Food store and see if it makes an impact. 

But the data is very interesting if you look at it by country.  There is low amounts of bipolar in a country like Iceland where fish consumption is a staple of the diet.  Meanwhile in countries like Germany where fish consumption is markedly less, there are higher rates of bi-polar. 

Darth Cupcake

That is really interesting.

Thank you!

I'm going to let that stew in my brain for a little while.
Be the trouble you want to see in the world.