News:

Testimonial: "None of you seem aware of quite how bad you are. I mean I'm pretty outspoken on how bad the internet has gotten, but this is up there with the worst."

Main Menu

"If God Wasn't Real, It Would Be Necessary to Invent Him."

Started by AFK, November 29, 2007, 03:30:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cain

The Universe is essentially mindless and doesn't give a shit one way or another about my presence and thus any values I attribute to external phenomena are merely internal projections onto a value neutral existence?

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: Cain on December 11, 2007, 05:31:49 PM
The Universe is essentially mindless and doesn't give a shit one way or another about my presence and thus any values I attribute to external phenomena are merely internal projections onto a value neutral existence?

Incorrect answer!

Quote from: Professor Cramulus on December 11, 2007, 05:27:47 PM
So when your neighborhood is torn in half by a hurricane, how do you justify / rationalize it?

The correct answer is find the goddess damned bastard of a Meteormancer responsible and kick him in the 'nads for summoning a hurricane to tromp through my front yard.
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

towelhead

just trying to bite my own tail

id put it like

The Universe IS. (any attribute or action is only for :lulz: purposes)
it "cannot give a shit" about consciousness and thus anything I attribute to external phenomena are merely internal projections onto a value neutral existence.

maybe this is the hardest part for humans to swallow, that the very concept of "self" (and its various projections) means nothing.

it is particularly interesting to see this in the language used. like: "i think that" or "i believe that" instead of the most obvious "i suspect that" which might be closer to what one meant to say.
and this is language used by well known and respected scientists.
only one of the books i grep through almost didnt use those (and other) patterns.
reading dawkins one might think that genes and memes have a will*. will? ermm..
its really interesting considering dawkins essentially speaking about language using.... well, language.

and of course, its not very easy to change language patterns, no more than one can think about himself as nothing more than a (by)product of a mass of neurons doing their chemical thing.

some form of god always exists there embedded in our brains regardless of how seemingly "unreligiously/areligiously" it manifests.
much like the drive to spot patterns around us, find (meaningful) causality, put the universe in order, seek the meaning of life and post on pd.

this kinda folds rygD argument on itself, which is quite funny. too bad search function doesnt work ;)

*had a conversation on this very topic with someone on this forum just a week ago. i have yet to punish him for actually thinking he has a will ;)

LMNO

Random Probability

That sure is a purty motorcycle you got there....

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

The Universe is what it is. I don't know what the hell it is, so I wouldn't go making any assumptions about it.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Cain

Thus far it has not shown any attributes which would suggest otherwise.  If it does, I shall revise my basic assumptions, but right now I see no need to, and by maintaining a level of moral neutrality, I will possibly be more aware to any evidence that would change that position than those who already think there are observable traits that suggest otherwise.

Triple Zero

Quote from: towelhead on December 11, 2007, 06:43:55 PM*had a conversation on this very topic with someone on this forum just a week ago. i have yet to punish him for actually thinking he has a will ;)

if you catch me sober (like, not now), i'll show you why i have one :-D

pfffff

you should understand it biting your tail hard enough ------------------- you feel it? :) :) :) :)
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Cain on December 12, 2007, 02:23:54 AM
Thus far it has not shown any attributes which would suggest otherwise.  If it does, I shall revise my basic assumptions, but right now I see no need to, and by maintaining a level of moral neutrality, I will possibly be more aware to any evidence that would change that position than those who already think there are observable traits that suggest otherwise.

You can make whatever assumptions you want, I'm just not. Sometimes letting things just be what they are, and not trying to figure out what they are, even while observing what they do, is an interesting exercise. I'm not trying to get all Zen on your ass or anything, but it's essentially the basis of much American Indian spirituality, at least according to my dad who is a lot older and 93.25% more indian than I am. And it doesn't hamper observing at all!
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

towelhead

Quote from: triple zero on December 12, 2007, 02:32:24 AM
pfffff

the sound of air escaping my punctured bubble.

Quote from: triple zero on December 12, 2007, 02:32:24 AM
if you catch me sober (like, not now), i'll show you why i have one :-D

you should understand it biting your tail hard enough ------------------- you feel it? :) :) :) :)

well, its always a bad idea to drink&post. i just mentioned this to someone last week.
but yeah, i think "i feel it", i beeleaf so...

we would have to first establish you have such a thing and what it consists of exactly.
if i would have wanted to be a real ass (as opposed to the cute fluffy bunny that i am now) id say lets define will :-p
thinking about it for a few minutes i recall what a headache i got reading all them philosophers that dealt with the will issue.
kinda makes me wanna unwrap my towel, throw it in and say "I kinda liked Cain's better".

bah fuck it, ive long become too much of a nihilist to "be" a "true/real" discordian ;)

laterz.

Triple Zero

> well, its always a bad idea to drink&post

true. they should invent an alcohol breath tester that plugs into your USB port and then locks your internet connection or something.

Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

towelhead

Quote from: triple zero on December 12, 2007, 01:29:24 PM
> well, its always a bad idea to drink&post

true. they should invent an alcohol breath tester that plugs into your USB port and then locks your internet connection or something.

does it function as a beer dispenser when one doesn't post? ill buy :)

Coyote

*insert the turtle joke here*

On a side note. In high school I used finger paint to draw on paper plates, a cute little cross in a red circle with a bar through it, and in equally cute little kid writing with, "poo on christ!" underneath. I then hung them up everywhere between classes. The looks on some of their faces was epic.. They had fits.

coyote