News:

PD.com - you don't even believe in nihilism anymore

Main Menu

"If God Wasn't Real, It Would Be Necessary to Invent Him."

Started by AFK, November 29, 2007, 03:30:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FingFeng

LOL

Back to the original premise though.  Personally, I don't feel that the absense of a 'God' means that we as humans would feel the need to invent one.  I'd take a similar position though... I'd say that failure to accept ones own mortality is the major force behind the need to fashion Gods.

To take that further, it is the belief that we're somehow too special to waste.  That we mean something far greater than we actually do... I think if we could get our heads around the 'fertiliser' concept and simply accept it, we'd be much happier in the long term.

The fertiliser concept is a simple life affirming concept and runs like this:  I understand that the greatest likelihood is that I ultimately amount to little more than fertiliser for whatever follows.  In this I shall find peace and understanding... Every day I have is important.  Every second of every day is important.  I shall not waste a single moment or breath but shall live, and live with every fibre of my being.

Having said that... Attempts to found the first church of fertiliser didn't draw as much interest as I had hoped.

Turtle joke ?

~Pope Fing Feng III

Coyote

Oh you know... "blah blah blah, don't you get it yet, fucktard?!It's turtles all the way down!" -the turtle joke.

A.N. Other

Quote from: Rev. What's-His-Name? on November 29, 2007, 03:30:17 PM
Believing in Nothing is still believing in Something. 

Some people don't believe.

Others know.

There some hidden meaning here, I think, but, um, you can figure that part out for your own damn selves.
"Wow, for an asshole, everyone loves you, honey." -My wife

Vene

Quote from: Rev. What's-His-Name? on November 29, 2007, 03:30:17 PMBelieving in Nothing is still believing in Something.
I'd rather believe there is nothing than I would believe in something that nobody has ever seen (not just with eyes, with any sense or machinery).  Do you think this way about fairies?  How about dragons?  Giant sand worms?

AFK

Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Vene

AFK

LMNO

Golden Applesauce

Q: How regularly do you hire 8th graders?
A: We have hired a number of FORMER 8th graders.

AFK

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Vene

Quote from: Nigel on March 19, 2008, 07:05:01 PM
"Catsup" makes me think of dinnertime for kitties.
I think it's a bastardization of "cat soup."

Random Probability

Quote from: Vene on March 21, 2008, 02:08:35 AM
Quote from: Nigel on March 19, 2008, 07:05:01 PM
"Catsup" makes me think of dinnertime for kitties.
I think it's a bastardization of "cat soup."
Fuck, I'm hungry.  Some cat soup would be epic right about now.

This is now a thread about delicacies.  Especially cats.

Messier Undertree

I'm pretty sure I covered all this shit years ago.
                                               /

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: Vene on March 19, 2008, 02:14:20 PM
Quote from: Rev. What's-His-Name? on November 29, 2007, 03:30:17 PMBelieving in Nothing is still believing in Something.
I'd rather believe there is nothing than I would believe in something that nobody has ever seen (not just with eyes, with any sense or machinery).  Do you think this way about fairies?  How about dragons?  Giant sand worms?

I try to hold no belief on any topic... just shades of probability and levels of usefulness.

Accepting an old Jewish book and its metaphysics, of which we have no supporting evidence, appears to me as not very useful and having a very low probability of being True.
Accepting that we have figured out how the Universe came into existence and how everything works, may be useful when examining some things, but I don't have enough faith in humans to think it highly probable that we've seen nearly enough evidence to come to any conclusions.
Fairies, Dragons, Unicorns etc... I stick in the "Unknown" category. I have seen no evidence that supports their existence, but I don't presume that I've seen all the evidence that may exist.

I'm not sure why so many people feel it necessary to conclude with belief or non-belief when they can just say "maybe" or "I don't know"...
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson