News:

MysticWicks endorsement: ""Oooh, I'm a Discordian! I can do whatever I want! Which means I can just SAY I'm a pagan but I never bother doing rituals or studying any kind of sacred texts or developing a relationship with deity, etc! I can go around and not be Christian, but I won't quite be anything else either because I just can't commit and I can't be ARSED to commit!"

Main Menu

"If God Wasn't Real, It Would Be Necessary to Invent Him."

Started by AFK, November 29, 2007, 03:30:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LMNO

Quote from: Vene on March 25, 2008, 09:00:32 PM
It's almost as if we are incapable of actually seeing reality for what it really is.

Cf: Original BIP pamphlet, page 14.

gathabloodline

atrasicarius

I dont call myself an agnostic, even though I technically am, because there are an infinite number of things you can be agnostic about. We could be living in the Matrix. We could believe in the Invisible Pink Unicorn or our friend the FSM. Abstractly, I know that it's impossible to ever prove anything absolutely, but in terms of actual day to day life, I do make certain assumptions.
"The only things that are infinite are the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

DORADA

a man is the idea of his god

[attachment deleted by admin]

[attachment deleted by admin]

AFK

Quote from: Reverend What's-His-Name? on November 29, 2007, 03:30:17 PM
"If God Wasn't Real, It Would Be Necessary to Invent Him."

It's so much easier to put your fate in another's hands, even if those hands are metaphysical.  It makes it easier to accept the shit when it flys your way.

"Everything Happens for a Reason"
"It's God's Will."

But, when you think about it, even those who do not believe in a God kind of do this same thing.

Some horrendous unforseen episode resulting in a gruesome, untimely death.

"Eh, the universe is random.  That's the way it goes."

It would seem, that even if we don't deify or personify a higher power, there is still an instinct to defer to one.  Even if it's an Inanimate Everything and Nothing.

Believing in Nothing is still believing in Something.

BaBump! 

This was pretty good!  I need to write more stuff like this more often. 
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.