News:

If you really want to hurt your parents, and you don't have the nerve to be a homosexual, the least you can do is go into the arts. But do not use semicolons. They are transvestite hermaphrodites, standing for absolutely nothing. All they do is show you've been to college.

Main Menu

Black Iron Prison Wiki thread 2009

Started by AFK, March 20, 2009, 07:32:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AFK

Previously on TFY,S, we heard Cram saying:

Quote from: Cramulus on March 20, 2009, 07:27:48 PM
Quote from: Rev. What's-His-Name? on March 20, 2009, 06:54:43 PM
I guess I'm looking for less general and more specific.  I do try to update the wiki from time to time and so if there are some specific kinds of things we want to add to it I'd like to know what to look for. 

this needs its own thread, I think. I don't want to jack this one by talking about specific projects. But briefly-- (hah)

Right now there's a lot of information in our collective. But it's kind of inaccessable in threads. You can't find where to look.

but in The Beginning...
we made a push to collect the highlights of good discussions in the Literature section. I wonder if that's something that'd be worth collecting again.

I'm interested in how bip.com might form part of the feedback loops which encourage good content on PD.

Like how there's a culture here of putting other people's posts in the POTD thread. Doing this showcases / reinforces the kind of humor we find funny.

If people got in the habit of posting their rants on BIP.com after they've gotten feedback at PD, we'd be collectively creating a very interesting library of original content. People would aspire to write rants for that collection. Over time, the collection gets better and takes on a life of its own. The whole thing is easy to throw in PDF and upload to lulu press.

If people were interested in making this, it could be cool to set up a PD memeopedia. We could have pages for stuff like Shrapnel, The Machine, Intermittens, thoughts on Anarchism, etc
      it would try to have multiple viewpoints. Sort of like how everything2.com works - you type in a word, and you get a bunch of people's mini-articles about that topic.
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

AFK

So I agree the Literature section is overdue for an updating.  I used to be in a habit of asking people if I could post their rants after they had some feedback and did some editing but kinda stopped doing that.  It would be a good habit for people to have once they felt satisfied with their piece to add it to the wiki.  Or, maybe have spags volunteer to transport the writings to the wiki for them after they get the green light.  I know I'm certainly always willing to do that.  Doesn't take too much time to do really. 

AFK

Also, if anyone who doesn't have an account over there wants one I can set you up.  Just give me a holler and I will make it so. 

Cramulus

what do you think about opening up registration to the public?

Triple Zero

three things:

1) i understand that most people are "okay" with it, but for everybody this means something slightly different. i think if we move essays to the BIP wiki, it might be a good time to be explicit about the copyright license. as far as I got the idea from the copyleft discussion in Principia Discussion, a lot of people have wishes similar to the creative commons "attribution" license, but we could ask them which CC license they would want. they're easy to understand and cover most situations. (problem with a non-commercial license would probably be that it cant be published on lulu.com without express (written?) permission of the author)

2) this thead by Manta Obscura contains a goldmine of great posts, discussions and essays.

3) opening the wiki sounds like a good idea, up until the first disgruntled n00b/troll decides to WikiMindWipe the place. If we have a good backup system it might even last five cycles before we say fuck it and close it again.
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Cramulus

Quote from: Triple Zero on March 20, 2009, 10:28:44 PM
i think if we move essays to the BIP wiki, it might be a good time to be explicit about the copyright license.

GOOD CALL

QuoteManta Obscura

WHAT HAPPENED to that guy? He was solid gold archive archaeologist.

Quoteopening the wiki sounds like a good idea, up until the first disgruntled n00b/troll decides to WikiMindWipe the place. If we have a good backup system it might even last five cycles before we say fuck it and close it again.

I've dealt with spammers and spambots at the Choose Your Own Misadventure Wiki, and it hasn't been too big of a deal. Just click Undo or Rollback when they hit. If we're wasting time cleaning up after bots or trolls, we can always pull the plug again.

AFK

I guess there's no harm in giving it a go, with the caveat that once trouble hits we, as you say, pull the plug.  Is that something we can do or does Syn have to do that for us?  I've not explored all of the sysop thingies other than signing people up.