Started by Mesozoic Mister Nigel, September 18, 2010, 09:58:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eater of Clowns

Quote from: Doktor Howl on October 01, 2010, 06:22:46 PM
Quote from: Eater of Clowns on October 01, 2010, 06:18:22 PM
Quote from: Doktor Howl on October 01, 2010, 06:13:43 PM
Quote from: Eater of Clowns on October 01, 2010, 06:13:15 PM
Quote from: Doktor Howl on October 01, 2010, 06:10:53 PM
SHOW ME THE SOUND OF ONE UKELELE PLAYING.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=puSkP3uym5k

NO.  

It's actually not a joke link.  It's Jake Shimabukuro, who's a ukulele freaking virtuoso, playing While My Guitar Gently Weeps.  It's goddamn incredible.

NO.  JUST FUCKING NO.  You East coast spags already fucked me up once with your hipster shit, and I AM NOT CLICKING A LINK THAT INVOLVES CLASSIC SONGS REDONE ON A FUCKING UKELELE.  I already put up with some Alanys Morrisette clone doing TOM FUCKING PETTY on a FUCKING UKELELE1, and I think that was QUITE FUCKING ENOUGH.

I know you weren't there that day, but you didn't warn me, either, so I'm holding you equally responsible with Suu, Richter, and Dimo.  I should have fucking known better, but I JUST HAD TO FUCKING GO.

Well, I've learned my Goddamned lesson.  Never trust Easterners, especially when it comes to music.

Even General Stuart plays the Goddamn banjo, though his singer was doing some really cool Hank Sr-esque shit, so I won't put a hit out on him.  For the moment.

Jesusfuckshitgoddamn.

1  Let me say that again:  TOM FUCKING PETTY WITH A FUCKING UKELELE.

Ahaha.  I didn't realize Howl had Providence PTSD.  It really is a good link and a beautiful rendition of the song.  If it helps, he's not some hipster, he's Japanese Hawaiian so he plays the ukulele the same reason Burns plays the digeridoo and Lys plays the kangaroo cock or whatever.

GS is in the same boat, he plays the banjo because he is actually an inbred from the Appalachian foothills.
Quote from: Pippa Twiddleton on December 22, 2012, 01:06:36 AM
EoC, you are the bane of my existence.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 07, 2014, 01:18:23 AM
EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.

Don Coyote

Quote from: Cramulus on October 01, 2010, 04:52:24 PM
watch for this happening to steampunk in the next 2-3 years.

Any minute now you're going to be party to a conversation about how I used to be steampunk before it was popular. I'm an authentic steam punk.

LOL

You are already late by like 3 years. I've been reading threads on steampunk forums since 2004 in which people discuss, argue and curse each other out for not being really real fr srs steampunks and only posers.

Suu

Jules Verne and H.G. Wells were the first steampunks. Everyone else is a goddamn poser.
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Doktor Princess on October 01, 2010, 11:07:32 PM
Jules Verne and H.G. Wells were the first steampunks. Everyone else is a goddamn poser.

Mary Shelley or GTFO.
Molon Lube

Suu

Quote from: Doktor Howl on October 01, 2010, 11:08:29 PM

Mary Shelley or GTFO.

She wrote gothic novels, not sci-fi.

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Doktor Princess on October 01, 2010, 11:18:24 PM
Quote from: Doktor Howl on October 01, 2010, 11:08:29 PM

Mary Shelley or GTFO.

She wrote gothic novels, not sci-fi.

Incorrect.  Frankenstien was the first science fiction novel (technology and it's ramifications on morality), and The Last Man was PURE science fiction.

Bram Stoker wrote Gothic novels.  Mary Shelley invented science fiction.

Molon Lube

Don Coyote

Negatory ghostrider. Well, Verne and Shelly heavily influenced steampunk but are not steampunk.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Sir Coyote on October 01, 2010, 11:26:16 PM

Negatory ghostrider. Well, Verne and Shelly heavily influenced steampunk but are not steampunk.

Ever read the vivification scene in Frankenstien?
Molon Lube

Don Coyote

Quote from: Doktor Howl on October 01, 2010, 11:29:40 PM

I have. It's just that 19th and early 20st century science fiction should not be considered steampunk, as it is a modern genre that evokes imagery from the industrial revolution, and of the early science fiction of that period.

Suu

Quote from: Sir Coyote on October 01, 2010, 11:35:23 PM

I have. It's just that 19th and early 20st century science fiction should not be considered steampunk, as it is a modern genre that evokes imagery from the industrial revolution, and of the early science fiction of that period.

Right, and the Irish are Celtic.

Doktor Howl

WTF?  That was the golden age of steam.
Molon Lube

Don Coyote

Quote from: Doktor Howl on October 01, 2010, 11:39:22 PM

I am now going to stop, reconsider my position, and probably find some other way to make myself look retarded, instead of using bad arguments to support my position.

Phox

I've always viewed steampunk as a setting with technology equivalent to late 19th century but devices that rivaled or surpassed modern ones. So, isn't 19th and early 20th century scifi is the very definition of steampunk?

Suu

Quote from: Sir Coyote on October 01, 2010, 11:44:33 PM
Quote from: Doktor Howl on October 01, 2010, 11:39:22 PM

I am now going to stop, reconsider my position, and probably find some other way to make myself look retarded, instead of using bad arguments to support my position.

Suu

Quote from: Lady Nyx on October 01, 2010, 11:44:45 PM
I've always viewed steampunk as a setting with technology equivalent to late 19th century but devices that rivaled or surpassed modern ones. So, isn't 19th and early 20th century scifi is the very definition of steampunk?

There is no definitive answer, but I like to describe Steampunk as a modern fashion and sub-cultural movement that mimics the science fiction written in the late Victorian and Edwardian periods. But you can take and apply that tech to ANY period as well. My friends are trying to get me to do a Steampunk Columbina, using a Renaissance fashion, but doing clockwork gears and machinery on it, like I'd be a windup doll of some sort. I also have a friend who does "Bamboopunk", basically Chinese from the same period, with the technological twist.