News:

PD.com: children are filled with joy, adults are filled with dread and local government is filled with stupid

Main Menu

Rebar wire: Not just for tying shit together anymore

Started by Remington, May 21, 2009, 04:11:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Remington

Here's an interesting question for you guys. What happens when Havok get bored?
Well yes, he rots in a chair watching TV. Usually.

But occasionally, he gets an urge to do something creative. Such an urge happened over the weekend, with interesting results.

This is rebar wire, a type of heavy industrial wire used to tie steel bars together (or something like that, my teacher mentioned it but I wasn't paying much attention).

Now, let's boredom and lots of time to the mix. This is what we get:

I got the original idea from my avatar, and kind of took it from there.
The figure (Victory) stands 10 inches tall (by himself, he's balanced), has an 8 inch wingspan (~1 foot if you follow the arch of his wings), and a head the size of a walnut. He's pose-able to some degree (his limbs can bend) and he's made of one continuous piece of wire (probably around 300 or 400 feet long, I didn't measure).

Here's some video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJ7vBFaI6YA&feature=channel_page

Here's some of the past work I've done with wire sculpture.

Wire Mage:

Death:

Is it plugged in?

Sir Squid Diddimus

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Telarus

Sweet. I'm taking a character sculpting class next term. We use wire-wrap bases and push clay into it and scult the fine detail into that.

Thanks for the inspiration.
Telarus, KSC,
.__.  Keeper of the Contradictory Cephalopod, Zenarchist Swordsman,
(0o)  Tender to the Edible Zen Garden, Ratcheting Metallic Sex Doll of The End Times,
/||\   Episkopos of the Amorphous Dreams Cabal

Join the Doll Underground! Experience the Phantasmagorical Safari!

Jenne

Cramulus

yeah, cool stuff!

Those figures look like they'd be great for stop-motion animation

AFK

Quote from: Cramulus on May 22, 2009, 04:39:59 PM
yeah, cool stuff!

Those figures look like they'd be great for a TOOL video

fixed.

I kid.  I kid.

Seriously though, those look pretty cool.  good work. 
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Remington

Wireframe roses that I made for my mother as a Christmas present:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQma_3Yr978

I made two of them, the one in the video was the one that turned out better.
Is it plugged in?

Honey

Loving these!  I imagined the first ones moving!   :D
Fuck the status quo!

The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure & the intelligent are full of doubt.
-Bertrand Russell

Richter

Very nice, Havok!  I'm embarassed I didn't see this sooner.  Do you jsut start bending and see where it goes, or plan out in advance what you're fixing to make?
Quote from: Eater of Clowns on May 22, 2015, 03:00:53 AM
Anyone ever think about how Richter inhabits the same reality as you and just scream and scream and scream, but in a good way?   :lulz:

Friendly Neighborhood Mentat

East Coast Hustle

every once in a while a thread makes me glad I checked "bring n brag" this month.

this is that thread. good stuff!
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Remington

Quote from: Richter on June 01, 2009, 05:35:55 PM
Very nice, Havok!  I'm embarassed I didn't see this sooner.  Do you jsut start bending and see where it goes, or plan out in advance what you're fixing to make?

I have to plan it out in advance. The wire starts in the (future) figure's chest, with a straight section (~2 inches) for it's chest/neck before being wrapped around a paper ball. Once the right amount of wire for the head is wound, I wind back down the neck and remove the paper ball. I then have a straight section down to his crotch, bend, and let out the right amount for his legs. A simple loop begins the foot, then it's back up the leg and onto the next one. Same procedure for the arms.

Lots of care goes into making sure all the limbs are in proportion to everything else  :horrormirth:
By a near miracle, my first wire figure came out with near-perfect limb-torso-head proportions, so I've used him as measuring stick for all the subsequent figures.

Because they're made of wire they're fully posable (and reposable, if you get bored of their pose), and can assume all of the positions that the human body can. And lots of positions that the human body can't  :wink:

Next time I do one of these, I'll be sure to make a video for you guys.
Is it plugged in?

Remington

Totally forgot about this one, actually. It's my first attempt at a non-human figure: I think it turned out pretty good.

Is it plugged in?

Remington

BUMPITY

Also, new sculpture:

Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rFG-wsCXvQQ

This one is based on Starbuck's pebbles, and the idea that different patterns can be seen by different people. More specifically, that a symbol for Order is the pentagon, with a pentagram representing disorder.

The outer frame of the sculpture consists or 20 equal sides, with each face being a pentagon. Inside is a tangle of wires crisscrossing themselves and anchoring to the outer frame. The interior wires appear random at first, but on closer inspection you can see that they trace the outlines of stars (pentagrams). Check it out in the Youtube video. There are 6 different stars within the frame, and each wire belongs to only one star.

Ultimately, the outer frame represents Order and the inner tangle represents disorder. Therefore there is disorder within order, and vice versa. The disorder needs the framework of order to survive, yet it carries order within itself.
Is it plugged in?

Captain Utopia

These are all awesome. I love how you can see different faces in the figures as your mind fills in the blanks.