News:

Urgh, this is what I hate about PD.com, it is the only site in existence where a perfectly good spam thread can be misused for high quality discussions.  I hate you all.

Main Menu

Discordianist crowds.

Started by Meunster, April 27, 2015, 04:39:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Q. G. Pennyworth

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Hoopla on April 29, 2015, 03:12:26 PM
Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on April 27, 2015, 06:00:14 PM
I find a lot of Discordians... well, pretty much everywhere. There's two in my cognitive neuroscience class. The Cacophony Society or other places eccentrics and pranksters congregate is a good place to look. I also am part of a feminist drinking club that has a lot of Disco-minded people.

Poke around in the fringes of society, including the arts and sciences. In fact, I have to say that the sciences seem to be kind of Disco-heavy.

Keep in mind, Nigel lives in Portland.  I would imagine at least 40% of the population discos on a regular basis, and that may be a conservative estimate.

Me, I live in Toronto.  I've met maybe 2 discordianists here, and there are probably about 6 more lurking nearby I don't want to talk to anyway.

This is true, and also is probably largely responsible for the fact that about half the people who move here hate it and complain that they can't find any normal people.

On the other hand, it's also probably why the majority of the population here is hopelessly self-absorbed and all about how they're into cool stuff. Then again, that might just be a generational thing.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on April 29, 2015, 05:46:06 PM
I find a lot of Discordians... well, pretty much everywhere. There's two in my cognitive neuroscience class. The Cacophony Society or other places eccentrics and pranksters congregate is a good place to look. I also am part of a feminist drinking club that has a lot of Disco-minded people.

Poke around in the fringes of society, including the arts and sciences. In fact, I have to say that the sciences seem to be kind of Disco-heavy.

Keep in mind, Nigel lives in Portland.  I would imagine at least 40% of the population discos on a regular basis, and that may be a conservative estimate.

Me, I live in Toronto.  I've met maybe 2 discordianists here, and there are probably about 6 more lurking nearby I don't want to talk to anyway.

This is true, and also is probably largely responsible for the fact that about half the people who move here hate it and complain that they can't find any normal people.

On the other hand, it's also probably why the majority of the population here is hopelessly self-absorbed and all about how they're into cool stuff. Then again, that might just be a generational thing.

Young people should be into cool stuff.  Horrible reality will be along sooner or later.  They may as well enjoy being cool while they can.
Molon Lube

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Doktor Howl on April 29, 2015, 05:48:52 PM

Young people should be into cool stuff.  Horrible reality will be along sooner or later.  They may as well enjoy being cool while they can.

This is true. All of my friends are between the ages of 25 and 50, and still probably qualify as being young enough to be cool.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on April 29, 2015, 06:16:18 PM

This is true. All of my friends are between the ages of 25 and 50, and still probably qualify as being young enough to be cool.

Yeah, pretty much.  Cool stops when you stop valuing fun.
Molon Lube

LMNO

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Doktor Howl on April 29, 2015, 06:19:12 PM

I'll stop valuing fun when I'm good and dead, goddammit.

Meunster

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on April 30, 2015, 12:29:10 AM

Stop valuing it when you're dead? What a prude.
Poe's law ;)

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Meunster on April 30, 2015, 12:40:13 AM

If somebody comes up with a way for me to care after I'm dead, I'll think about it.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on May 01, 2015, 06:35:00 AM

If somebody comes up with a way for me to care after I'm dead, I'll think about it.

I'm almost done with my year as an atheist, so I'll get right back to you.
Molon Lube

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Doktor Howl on May 01, 2015, 03:59:44 PM
Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on May 01, 2015, 06:35:00 AM

I'm almost done with my year as an atheist, so I'll get right back to you.

Sweet.