News:

MysticWicks endorsement: "Spoiled brats of the pagan world, I thought. I really don't have a lot of respect for Discordians. They just strike me as spiritually lazy."

Main Menu

Tennessee getting ready to throw poor students under the bus.

Started by Bruno, April 04, 2013, 08:31:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pope Pixie Pickle

it's kind of an umbrella term way of covering transsexual and transgender, as they aren't the same thing, and you get all the non-binary gender fluid agender folks in too.

Habit I picked up from my adventures with trans* activists.

Junkenstein

Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

Juana

The asterisk in trans* serves the same purpose it does in a search, because it's a very complicated set of identities - there's an unlimited number of not-cis identities that fall under the label (transssexuals, male-to-female, female-to-male, non-binary, genderqueer, third gender, etc.). You can say "trans*" without excluding anyone.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on April 08, 2013, 09:46:59 PM
Quote from: Juana Go? on April 08, 2013, 09:41:42 PM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on April 08, 2013, 09:29:12 PM
Quote from: Juana Go? on April 08, 2013, 09:27:09 PM
People who are privileged have a tendency to respond with knee jerk anger-fueled denial when confronted with their own privilege.

Yes.  I have noticed that.

And I thank you for lumping me and every other CIS person in with that, for expressing your contempt of everything we are, simply by virtue of being CIS.

There is zero difference between your comment and some po'bucker going off about "faggots".
FFS, Roger. I apologized for that comment months ago and meant it. I don't have any contempt for people who are cisgender, just because they're cis. It's a thing, just like being trans* is. Nor am I lumping anyone, and my comment is very much different than his. Mine was a comment about a typical reaction in this situation by a non-biped like him, and his was, well, a typical non-biped response.

1.  No, you never actually apologized, IIRC.  You gave reasons why it was okay.  I could be wrong, but that's how I remember it.

2.  You just did it again.  You just fucking did.  So how is the apology that may have happened valid?

3.  You didn't identify him as a non-biped, you identified him as CIS.  Unless that is now a functional definition of a non-biped.
1. I did actually apologize and meant it. Should I go dig up the thread?

2. I feel like we should have a discussion about the minority complaining about the majority. (should I have used it in that instance? No. But I don't begrudge minorities, whatever they are (racial, gender, etc.) the right to complain about the system (of white supremacy/patriarchy/etc.) that oppresses them. They're getting with with rocks and complaining about the institution of whiteness/manhood/etc. is hollering)

3. I assumed, because you have used cisgendered yourself, in the entitlement and privilege thread, and because I know you get this whole privilege thing, that would be fairly obvious what I meant (specifically, a certain kind of white cishet man, which PD is mostly not populated by, VZ/DEC14 aside). My mistake. Next time, I'll be clearer.

Quote from: Pixie on April 08, 2013, 09:58:49 PM
interestingly I are doing a vid for my friend's transgender awareness project on being cisgender.

As in non-trans.

As in there being an opposite to gay, being straight.

Didn't I plot a crappy graph about that in one of the threads that kicked this off?

I'm kind of looking forward to  helping her with her project, because she came out as trans* to me recently and i've known her for 10+ years. I'm also considering  helping with a few things that as a cis person I don't have to worry about that a trans person does.
Trans-mission? Me, too. I'm explaining the gender binary and then non-binary identities (such as is possible, lol).
"I dispose of obsolete meat machines.  Not because I hate them (I do) and not because they deserve it (they do), but because they are in the way and those older ones don't meet emissions codes.  They emit too much.  You don't like them and I don't like them, so spare me the hysteria."

Anna Mae Bollocks

Quote from: Von Zwietracht on April 08, 2013, 09:45:24 PM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on April 08, 2013, 09:43:20 PM
Quote from: Von Zwietracht on April 08, 2013, 09:40:35 PM
Awww, dude, I was just trying to lighten the mood. I know PD doesn't agree with itself constantly...it wouldnt be a discordian forum if it were all about concordant opinion.

And to be honest, man, you won equally as well as I did. I've been exposed to new view points, had a good long slugfest on the internet, and pissed out some stress by waging a good debate violent argument. I've absorbed some inkling of idealism from you guys, so other than the incessant annoyance I may be posing, the whole exercise should be seen as positive...

I wrote the shit out of a thread to respond to you.  You didn't even read it, and ran straight to appeal to ridicule.

Fuck you.  Right in the earhole.  I will never take you seriously again.

Good day, sir.

I stopped taking you seriously six months ago after reading your material on totse...

Ah, a totsetard. It all adds up now.
Benefit of doubt long fucking gone.
Scantily-Clad Inspector of Gigantic and Unnecessary Cashews, Texas Division

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Juana Go? on April 08, 2013, 10:16:07 PM
2. I feel like we should have a discussion about the minority complaining about the majority. (should I have used it in that instance? No. But I don't begrudge minorities, whatever they are (racial, gender, etc.) the right to complain about the system (of white supremacy/patriarchy/etc.) that oppresses them. They're getting with with rocks and complaining about the institution of whiteness/manhood/etc. is hollering)

I can see now why you hate the word "allies".

It's like a lightbulb went on.

Anyway, you work on minorities getting back at The Man.  Do have fun.  FTS,YOYO.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Anna Mae Bollocks

Scantily-Clad Inspector of Gigantic and Unnecessary Cashews, Texas Division

Pope Pixie Pickle

yup. Lisa is mah old and very good friend.

I also have mod powerz on the Trans-mission page, so I knew about you being involved, it's just it's Lisa's pet project and all so i left it up to her to sort out,

Pergamos

The asterisk in trans* serves the same purpose it does in a search, because it's a very complicated set of identities - there's an unlimited number of not-cis identities that fall under the label (transssexuals, male-to-female, female-to-male, non-binary, genderqueer, third gender, etc.). You can say "trans*" without excluding anyone.

Gotcha, so it's adopting computerspeak.  I kept looking at the bottom of the post for an elaboration since usually an asterix means there is a footnote.

The Good Reverend Roger

3. I assumed, because you have used cisgendered yourself, in the entitlement and privilege thread, and because I know you get this whole privilege thing, that would be fairly obvious what I meant (specifically, a certain kind of white cishet man, which PD is mostly not populated by,

Did that sound okay to you when you wrote it?

Because it sounds like "There's Blacks and there's niggers".  You could have just said "asshole" and left the CIS thing out of it. 

Or maybe you couldn't.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

Juana

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on April 08, 2013, 10:25:38 PM

I can see now why you hate the word "allies".

It's like a lightbulb went on.

Anyway, you work on minorities getting back at The Man.  Do have fun.  FTS,YOYO.
No, I am not wild about certain kinds of people who claim it because they do it as if saying "I'm for equal marriage!" makes them an exceptional person who deserves cookies, instead of a person who meets the basic criteria for a decent human being.

Look, the system destroys the lives of the underprivileged. It oppresses and kills and rapes them. They have every right to resent the system. To penalize the people who vent about those issues is to ignore the fact that the people who benefit from the system (whatever intersection of race, class, gender, etc.) don't face those issues. We've already gone over what those issues are, so I won't beat a dead horse and repeat them, but it is still a fact that a member of privileged group A becoming upset when underprivileged group A complains about them as a group is making the issues about them as a person.
"I dispose of obsolete meat machines.  Not because I hate them (I do) and not because they deserve it (they do), but because they are in the way and those older ones don't meet emissions codes.  They emit too much.  You don't like them and I don't like them, so spare me the hysteria."

Juana

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on April 08, 2013, 10:30:02 PM
3. I assumed, because you have used cisgendered yourself, in the entitlement and privilege thread, and because I know you get this whole privilege thing, that would be fairly obvious what I meant (specifically, a certain kind of white cishet man, which PD is mostly not populated by,

Because it sounds like "There's Blacks and there's niggers".  You could have just said "asshole" and left the CIS thing out of it. 

Or maybe you couldn't.
Oh my god, Roger, no, it's not. Ugh. When I have my actual laptop out, instead of my tablet, I'll respond properly, but good lord, they are totally different. Privilege, dude.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Juana Go? on April 08, 2013, 10:36:05 PM
No, I am not wild about certain kinds of people who claim it because they do it as if saying "I'm for equal marriage!" makes them an exceptional person who deserves cookies, instead of a person who meets the basic criteria for a decent human being.

Some people might do it out of principle.  But don't let that stand in the way of your contempt.

Look, the system destroys the lives of the underprivileged. It oppresses and kills and rapes them. They have every right to resent the system. To penalize the people who vent about those issues is to ignore the fact that the people who benefit from the system (whatever intersection of race, class, gender, etc.) don't face those issues. We've already gone over what those issues are, so I won't beat a dead horse and repeat them, but it is still a fact that a member of privileged group A becoming upset when underprivileged group A complains about them as a group is making the issues about them as a person.

The obvious answer, of course, is to drive away anyone who is interested in helping with passive bigotry, so that you can continue to be the very, very special rebel, tirelessly fighting the powers that be...Solo.  Far more dramatic that way.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Juana Go? on April 08, 2013, 10:39:14 PM

Or maybe you couldn't.
Oh my god, Roger, no, it's not. Ugh. When I have my actual laptop out, instead of my tablet, I'll respond properly, but good lord, they are totally different. Privilege, dude.

Fuck you, the two situations are IDENTICAL.  So take your "privilege" shut-down comment and shove it up your arse.  The fact that *I* may have privilege you don't have does NOT give *you* an excuse to make bigoted fucking statements.

von

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on April 08, 2013, 10:46:10 PM

Or maybe you couldn't.

Fuck you, the two situations are IDENTICAL.  So take your "privilege" shut down comment and shove it up your arse.

:lulz: :lulz: :lulz: :lulz: :lulz:

check ur privilege CIS-scum

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Von Zwietracht on April 08, 2013, 10:50:12 PM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on April 08, 2013, 10:46:10 PM

Or maybe you couldn't.

Fuck you, the two situations are IDENTICAL.  So take your "privilege" shut down comment and shove it up your arse.

:lulz: :lulz: :lulz: :lulz: :lulz:

check ur privilege CIS-scum

And fuck you, too.  I thought you were heading back to 4Chan? 

A plague on both your houses.  You and Juana.  You're both fucked in the head.