News:

There's only a handful of you, and you're acting like obsessed lunatics.

I honestly wouldn't want to ever be washed up on the shore unconscious on an island run by you lot.

Main Menu

Quotes of the Moment II

Started by Triple Zero, June 13, 2011, 12:29:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Juana

:lol: Nice.

Same parental unit who claims Union POW camps were worse than Nazi death camps: "The Republican party has moved so far left in your lifetime. It's not true to the roots of the GOP anymore and that's why I'm not a Republican."
"I dispose of obsolete meat machines.  Not because I hate them (I do) and not because they deserve it (they do), but because they are in the way and those older ones don't meet emissions codes.  They emit too much.  You don't like them and I don't like them, so spare me the hysteria."

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Secret Agent GARBO on January 09, 2012, 02:16:38 AM
:lol: Nice.

Same parental unit who claims Union POW camps were worse than Nazi death camps: "The Republican party has moved so far left in your lifetime. It's not true to the roots of the GOP anymore and that's why I'm not a Republican."

:lulz:
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Nephew Twiddleton

Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Juana

:lulz: You should hear him go on about RINOs and St. Ronnie. I have to work really, really hard not to laugh at him.
"I dispose of obsolete meat machines.  Not because I hate them (I do) and not because they deserve it (they do), but because they are in the way and those older ones don't meet emissions codes.  They emit too much.  You don't like them and I don't like them, so spare me the hysteria."

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Secret Agent GARBO on January 09, 2012, 02:31:18 AM
:lulz: You should hear him go on about RINOs and St. Ronnie. I have to work really, really hard not to laugh at him.

Tell him that Obama's going to replace Eric Holder with Oprah Winfrey.   :lulz:

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

Cain

I love how batshit conservatives hold up Saint Ronnie the Cut-and-Run Taxraiser as their idol.

It almost makes me think that they're performing some kind of satirical exercise.  Almost.  Especially when you remember how much today's Neocons hated him back in the day.

Juana

...I am going to ask him about that. And will let him ramble instead of trying to debate with him.

I should also ask him if he still believes in the Bilderberg conspiracy.

Cain

About which bit?  If you want references, the taxes were raised in a somewhat underhand way (the 1983 Social Security amendments) and used to plug the holes in the budget caused by the other tax cuts he made.  The cut-and-run bit was, of course, about Lebanon.  And the Neocons were warning Reagan and Bush I that the Communists were being tricksy little hobbits right up until the fall of the Berlin Wall.  It was all a sham, a feint, according to them, and Reagan was facilitating it by negotiating with Gorbachev.

Also for fun, point out how Reagan felt about WMD.  "A world free of nuclear weapons."  Even in private, he told close advisors and political allies he felt the risk of nukes outweighed the benefits, and only bilateral disarmament could make the world a safer place.

Juana

I had intended to broach it and let him ramble, actually, because he'll say some stupendously retarded shit if you don't interrupt him, but those references would be useful for keeping him on topic.

He might actually agree with Ronnie on the WMDs. I vaguely recall him saying something to the same effect.

The Good Reverend Roger

I have to disagree with Ronnie on that one.

Humans are savage animals that can't or won't control themselves without coercion, at least on the national level.

Before nukes:  Global, no-holds-barred wars.

After Nukes:  Regional, limited wars.

TGRR,
Knows the difference between "bad" and "worse".

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Secret Agent GARBO on January 09, 2012, 06:34:50 AM
I had intended to broach it and let him ramble, actually, because he'll say some stupendously retarded shit if you don't interrupt him, but those references would be useful for keeping him on topic.

He might actually agree with Ronnie on the WMDs. I vaguely recall him saying something to the same effect.

Ask him about Reagan pulling the Marines out of Beirut after Hezbollah blew up the Marines' barracks.

Cain

On the other hand, large territorial wars never threatened the entire extinction of humanity. 

I'd be more inclined to risk nukes, if not for all the mechanical and human failures that keep bringing the world to the brink of absolute destruction every five years or so.  As it is, steadily reducing stockpiles to minimum deterrence levels is likely the best way to go.  There is also a large body of documentary evidence to suggest that it was large scale conventional war that both the Soviets and the Americans feared during the Cold War, and not global thermonuclear war (Richard Ned Lebow, We All Lost the Cold War, 1992)

Strangely, Henry Kissinger has of late being echoing Reagan's position.  He seems to feel the inherent risks of nuclear weapons outweigh their benefits in the existing world order, and that securing a credible international norm against proliferation is preferable to the existing status quo.  In an ironic twist, this seems to be influencing the Iranian strategic position, the Iranians are clearly seeking a nuclear capability, but not necessarily nuclear weapons, unless threatened.  Pretty much all nuclear states currently existing would be able to respond to a nuclear threat in kind fairly swiftly, even if they were to disarm right now.  The expertise wouldn't go away, and neither would the infrastructure, but the latent threat of peacetime accidents and human failure would pose far less of a risk.

So I'm kinda meh about the whole thing, except when it comes to reducing stockpiles.  We don't need enough weapons to destroy the planets 30 times over (I'm talking to you, Putin).  Three times over is more than sufficient.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Cain on January 09, 2012, 03:39:56 PM
On the other hand, large territorial wars never threatened the entire extinction of humanity. 

Yes, that is an added benefit.

Suu

In the car headed to the store:

Radio DJ: And in recent news, it appears Rod Stewart is coming out with a new album this year! Here's "Forever Young"!

Me: WAT.

Roommate: FUCK! Let's get out of the car before the song starts!
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Rod Stewart

Quote from: Suu on January 09, 2012, 04:44:25 PM
In the car headed to the store:

Radio DJ: And in recent news, it appears Rod Stewart is coming out with a new album this year! Here's "Forever Young"!

Me: WAT.

Roommate: FUCK! Let's get out of the car before the song starts!
:crankey: