News:

PD.com: You wont believe our bullshit

Main Menu

Hey Nigel

Started by Faust, June 05, 2015, 05:35:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Faust

http://www.theguardian.com/science/2015/jun/05/newly-discovered-vessels-beneath-skull-could-link-brain-and-immune-system

Is this Bunk?

It seems really weird, if there was a direct link between the brain and the immune system, wouldn't that imply the placebo effect wasn't an indirect side effect (indirectly lowering stress, heart rate etc) but a direct physiological effect (and all the woo healers of mysticwicks will explode out into the internet with this).
Sleepless nights at the chateau

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Faust on June 05, 2015, 05:35:28 PM
http://www.theguardian.com/science/2015/jun/05/newly-discovered-vessels-beneath-skull-could-link-brain-and-immune-system

Is this Bunk?

It seems really weird, if there was a direct link between the brain and the immune system, wouldn't that imply the placebo effect wasn't an indirect side effect (indirectly lowering stress, heart rate etc) but a direct physiological effect (and all the woo healers of mysticwicks will explode out into the internet with this).

Unless it turns out to be a misinterpretation or a mistake somehow, which seems unlikely, it is totally legit and is currently the buzz of the neuroscience world! It's potentially a big, big deal. It doesn't really change anything in terms of placebo, doesn't make it more direct or indirect, since placebo works by tricking the brain into releasing chemical signals that have a physical effect, but may have big implications for the study and treatment of neurodegenerative diseases.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Faust

Ah ok, so its more of the physiological effects on the brain as opposed to the other way round, where the brain would have direct control and actuation over immune system functions?

If it helps with alzheimer's diagnosis/understanding/treatment that will be amazing on its own let alone any other applications.
Sleepless nights at the chateau

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Faust on June 05, 2015, 05:59:25 PM
Ah ok, so its more of the physiological effects on the brain as opposed to the other way round, where the brain would have direct control and actuation over immune system functions?

If it helps with alzheimer's diagnosis/understanding/treatment that will be amazing on its own let alone any other applications.

Basically, the Central Nervous System already has incredibly effective methods of control and signaling via blood and nerves, so the aspect that seems more significant (to me, though granted I don't know much about the lymphatic system) is the way the lymphatic system is impacting the CNS, especially given that now we know that it's there and SUPPOSED to be doing certain things (which we don't understand yet because we never knew we should be looking for them) we can start to maybe understand what goes wrong when it DOESN'T do those things; for example, what if the amyloid plaque accumulations in Alzheimers are a result of lymphocytes failing to scavenge compromised cells?
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Q. G. Pennyworth

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on June 05, 2015, 06:39:33 PM
Quote from: Faust on June 05, 2015, 05:59:25 PM

Basically, the Central Nervous System already has incredibly effective methods of control and signaling via blood and nerves, so the aspect that seems more significant (to me, though granted I don't know much about the lymphatic system) is the way the lymphatic system is impacting the CNS, especially given that now we know that it's there and SUPPOSED to be doing certain things (which we don't understand yet because we never knew we should be looking for them) we can start to maybe understand what goes wrong when it DOESN'T do those things; for example, what if the amyloid plaque accumulations in Alzheimers are a result of lymphocytes failing to scavenge compromised cells?

I have nothing to add, but I just wanted to say how happy I am to be in a place where I get to read these things.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I'm thrilled out of my guts to live in a time when this kind of knowledge is even a THING.