News:

It is better to set off a nuclear bomb, than to sit and curse the dark.

Main Menu

A Game of Thrones on HBO

Started by Disco Pickle, September 28, 2010, 04:09:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Disco Pickle

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FAZzCFPcLoo&feature=player_embedded

any of you spags worked up for this? 

I hear that fat bastard RR Martin isn't releasing the last book until the series runs it's course, which makes me want to cock punch him.

Still, have to admit I'm probably going to have to get HBO when this drops.
"Events in the past may be roughly divided into those which probably never happened and those which do not matter." --William Ralph Inge

"sometimes someone confesses a sin in order to take credit for it." -- John Von Neumann

Cain

I am pretty stoked about this, yes.

And although Martin is a dick for that if the rumour is true, there is an upside: he now has to release A Dance With Dragons in the next four years.

Jenne

YES!  I was very happy to see this in their lineup for 2011!

Disco Pickle

Quote from: Cain on September 28, 2010, 04:53:02 PM
I am pretty stoked about this, yes.

And although Martin is a dick for that if the rumour is true, there is an upside: he now has to release A Dance With Dragons in the next four years.

I was very unimpressed with A Feast for Crows even understanding that he needed to build some story for Dorne, and the way he left Arya's story hanging was just plain shit.  Still a damn good tale though.

Considering HBO's track record with great story telling, I have high expectations for this as a show.
"Events in the past may be roughly divided into those which probably never happened and those which do not matter." --William Ralph Inge

"sometimes someone confesses a sin in order to take credit for it." -- John Von Neumann

Cain

A Feast for Crows wasn't the best of his books, no (A Storm of Swords was, by contrast, amazing) but it would've been a less bitter pill to swallow if, as he had heavily implied in his postscript to the book, A Dance for Dragons was practically ready to roll off the presses.

Cuz seriously, I distinctly remember him saying he wrote the parts for everyone, but realized the book was going to be too large, and so split it in half, and with a little bit of tweaking we'd see what Tyrion, Arya and the rest were up to very soon.

I still think it's going to end with Littlefinger assassinating every other claimant to the throne and then Sansa stabbing him in the heart with a knife, then turning the blade on herself, though.  And then the The Others will eat their corpses.  Along with everyone else in the Seven Kingdoms who hasn't already succumbed to plague, war, holy crusaders, starvation, dragonfire or repeated rape.  No happy endings for anyone!

Disco Pickle

Quote from: Cain on September 28, 2010, 05:23:28 PM
A Feast for Crows wasn't the best of his books, no (A Storm of Swords was, by contrast, amazing) but it would've been a less bitter pill to swallow if, as he had heavily implied in his postscript to the book, A Dance for Dragons was practically ready to roll off the presses.

Cuz seriously, I distinctly remember him saying he wrote the parts for everyone, but realized the book was going to be too large, and so split it in half, and with a little bit of tweaking we'd see what Tyrion, Arya and the rest were up to very soon.

I still think it's going to end with Littlefinger assassinating every other claimant to the throne and then Sansa stabbing him in the heart with a knife, then turning the blade on herself, though.  And then the The Others will eat their corpses.  Along with everyone else in the Seven Kingdoms who hasn't already succumbed to plague, war, holy crusaders, starvation, dragonfire or repeated rape.  No happy endings for anyone!

ZOMBIE WAR!!!  or I imagine..  haven't quite figured out what the fuck is up with the raising of dead characters yet, but it better be good.

but yeah, I learned early that he has no problem what so ever killing off main characters you may have grown to like.

Tyrion is still my favorite.  That scheming little imp warms my heart, and I'm hoping he gets the same proper treatment in the next book.

Cain

I actually know a little of what Tyrion (and, interestingly, Varys) are up to in book five, from a sample chapter that Martin posted.  Let's just say two scenes from from A Game of Thrones which most people have likely forgotten will take on a huge amount of significance...

Also, while I don't know much of the cast for the series, Aidan Gillen (Tommy Carcetti in The Wire) for Littlefinger was an inspired choice.  Brilliant, in fact.

Requia ☣

Quote from: The Dancing Pickle on September 28, 2010, 04:09:20 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FAZzCFPcLoo&feature=player_embedded

any of you spags worked up for this? 

I hear that fat bastard RR Martin isn't releasing the last book until the series runs it's course, which makes me want to cock punch him.

Still, have to admit I'm probably going to have to get HBO when this drops.

I'd actually be pretty stocked if we got the last 3 books over the next 6 or 7 years.
Inflatable dolls are not recognized flotation devices.