News:

Discordianism:  It is some kind of a communist sect.

Main Menu

Redskins' Trademark Revoked!!!

Started by Roly Poly Oly-Garch, June 18, 2014, 03:30:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LMNO

I believe Washington will still have control over the logo, though.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on June 19, 2014, 02:50:06 PM
I believe Washington will still have control over the logo, though.

The trademark to the Redskins' current logo wasn't revoked, but the ruling sets precedent that will make it very easy for the rest of their trademarks to be revoked if they're challenged in court, which seems probable.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Roly Poly Oly-Garch

I think the public having the ability to market "Washington Redskins Brand Tunnel Plugs"  or better yet "Washington Redskins Brand Santorum Clean-Up Wipes," may present a sufficient challenge to keeping the name.
Back to the fecal matter in the pool

Cramulus

Native americans have it way too easy in this country. They get to live on these sweet reservations, and their decimated culture gets to be represented by a cartoonish caricature. Can't they see that we've commercialized their heritage and made it into a commodity out of RESPECT?

It's so disturbing that the one time an organ of the US Government has done anything to defend the culture they conquered, eradicated, and systemically oppressed for centuries, all these white people jump up like WOAH WOAH WOAH THAT'S NOT FAIR

You read about the Trail of Tears and Wounded Knee and you assume that kind of thing is in the past. You assume we got better. Nope! As a collective, we still don't give a shit about the Native Americans. Can they just shut up and go away please? They're ruining sports.

Cain

Quote from: NoLeDeMiel on June 19, 2014, 02:15:47 PM
Quote from: The Suu on June 18, 2014, 08:27:49 PM
Having a discussion on FB (ugh) about the Fightin' Irish versus the Orangemen. Same idea.

The NCAA forced Syracuse to drop it to just "The Orange" which is still kind of the same thing, yet nobody seems to bat an eye at Notre Dame. Really?

It's hard to lean on a traditionally Irish Catholic university that want's to call itself the "Fighting Irish". Strange choice, imo, but kind of a different deal than just completely appropriating the imagery of another culture entirely. One is kind of just....really??? The other is getting more into the minstrelsy area.

And I totally had to google orangemen to get the reference there at all. Apparently the NCAA just made them drop the 'men' to get in line with the spirit of Title IX.

I'd normally hesitate to put sectarian hatred on the same level as Nazism in terms of ideological abhorrence...but I'm willing to make that exception for the Orange Order and its supporters (who, coincidentally, are also very friendly with actual Nazis).  If you wonder where, apart from the offices of MI5, the Loyalist terrorists in Northern Ireland got their weapons and had such influential backing...well, that's your answer.

Suu

Quote from: Cain on June 19, 2014, 08:31:43 PM
Quote from: NoLeDeMiel on June 19, 2014, 02:15:47 PM
Quote from: The Suu on June 18, 2014, 08:27:49 PM
Having a discussion on FB (ugh) about the Fightin' Irish versus the Orangemen. Same idea.

The NCAA forced Syracuse to drop it to just "The Orange" which is still kind of the same thing, yet nobody seems to bat an eye at Notre Dame. Really?

It's hard to lean on a traditionally Irish Catholic university that want's to call itself the "Fighting Irish". Strange choice, imo, but kind of a different deal than just completely appropriating the imagery of another culture entirely. One is kind of just....really??? The other is getting more into the minstrelsy area.

And I totally had to google orangemen to get the reference there at all. Apparently the NCAA just made them drop the 'men' to get in line with the spirit of Title IX.

I'd normally hesitate to put sectarian hatred on the same level as Nazism in terms of ideological abhorrence...but I'm willing to make that exception for the Orange Order and its supporters (who, coincidentally, are also very friendly with actual Nazis).  If you wonder where, apart from the offices of MI5, the Loyalist terrorists in Northern Ireland got their weapons and had such influential backing...well, that's your answer.

From what I understand, much like ND being a Catholic university, Syracuse was at one time protestant, but no longer identifies itself with being a religious institution and hasn't for quite some time. I have no idea if they actually had any connection whatsoever to the Orange Order, but they seem to have moved pretty fast from have a nondescript logo and mascot into having an actual orange show up more than just as Otto the mascot, which is bizarre, but I suppose they want to cover their tracks as to not be affiliated with an Irish hate group, because there's a good chance not many people had a damn clue. It's not something you hear about in the US that often.
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Cain

Not to mention most American sympathies are with the Republicans, especially in the Irish community.  Openly advertising your loyalist, Protestant supremacist credentials openly would probably cause a LOT of negative comment and backlash, even post 9-11.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Cramulus on June 19, 2014, 07:47:04 PM
Native americans have it way too easy in this country. They get to live on these sweet reservations, and their decimated culture gets to be represented by a cartoonish caricature. Can't they see that we've commercialized their heritage and made it into a commodity out of RESPECT?

It's so disturbing that the one time an organ of the US Government has done anything to defend the culture they conquered, eradicated, and systemically oppressed for centuries, all these white people jump up like WOAH WOAH WOAH THAT'S NOT FAIR

You read about the Trail of Tears and Wounded Knee and you assume that kind of thing is in the past. You assume we got better. Nope! As a collective, we still don't give a shit about the Native Americans. Can they just shut up and go away please? They're ruining sports.

Yeah, it gives me a true sense of horrormirth, as in I'm laughing at it but really it's NOT FUNNY AT ALL IN FACT IT HURTS INSIDE.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Raz Tech

Quote from: The Suu on June 18, 2014, 07:48:36 PM
Hey Raz, send this to your squabbling coworkers. It's an article from December explaining the etymology of the word "redskin" with sources!

It's also interesting to see how it may not have started as a pejorative, but certainly is now. I love etymology, it's always so fascinating.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/lexicon_valley/2013/12/18/redskins_the_debate_over_the_washington_football_team_s_name_incorrectly.html

Thank you for that, it was an interesting read.
Unfortunately, my co-workers are now even more confident that they have every right to use the term, because Indians are the ones who made it up.  It's akin to "no I've got a black friend, it's cool" logic.

Roly Poly Oly-Garch

Quote from: The Right Reverend Nigel on June 20, 2014, 02:48:05 AM

Yeah, it gives me a true sense of horrormirth, as in I'm laughing at it but really it's NOT FUNNY AT ALL IN FACT IT HURTS INSIDE.

What I keep hearing over and over "where does it stop?" and "what's next?" It seems a really weird thing to apply a slippery slope argument against THE PRESSURE TO FUCKING EVOLVE!

It's like, "Where do we draw the line??? WHERE??? Why if we're not careful, we'll not only be a little better tomorrow than we are today...WE COULD END UP A WHOLE FUCK-LOAD BETTER A WEEK FROM NOW!"

This is somehow a dangerous undertaking?

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: NoLeDeMiel on June 20, 2014, 03:06:27 PM

What I keep hearing over and over "where does it stop?" and "what's next?" It seems a really weird thing to apply a slippery slope argument against THE PRESSURE TO FUCKING EVOLVE!

It's like, "Where do we draw the line??? WHERE??? Why if we're not careful, we'll not only be a little better tomorrow than we are today...WE COULD END UP A WHOLE FUCK-LOAD BETTER A WEEK FROM NOW!"

OH MY GOD WHERE DOES IT END IF WE'RE NOT CAREFUL WE COULD WAKE UP ONE DAY AND FIND OURSELVES TREATING WOMEN AND BLACKS LIKE PEOPLE.

Roly Poly Oly-Garch

Quote from: The Right Reverend Nigel on June 20, 2014, 03:11:45 PM

OH MY GOD WHERE DOES IT END IF WE'RE NOT CAREFUL WE COULD WAKE UP ONE DAY AND FIND OURSELVES TREATING WOMEN AND BLACKS LIKE PEOPLE.

WHAT'S NEXT, NIGEL??? HUH? WHAT'S NEXT? TREATING THE HOMOS WITH BASIC HUMAN DECENCY AND RESPECT? BEING COMPASSIONATE AND PATIENT WITH NON-NATIVE ENGLISH SPEAKERS????

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: NoLeDeMiel on June 20, 2014, 03:31:34 PM
Quote from: The Right Reverend Nigel on June 20, 2014, 03:11:45 PM

WHAT'S NEXT, NIGEL??? HUH? WHAT'S NEXT? TREATING THE HOMOS WITH BASIC HUMAN DECENCY AND RESPECT? BEING COMPASSIONATE AND PATIENT WITH NON-NATIVE ENGLISH SPEAKERS????

IS THERE NO END TO THIS MADNESS???

Cain

I'm fine with all of that, so long as we can still legally hunt vegans.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Cain on June 20, 2014, 05:06:52 PM
I'm fine with all of that, so long as we can still legally hunt vegans.

:lulz: