News:

Please take a stand against our terrible values

Main Menu

<curious>

Started by Slarti, July 16, 2005, 03:34:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slarti

if you could think of one book, movie, play, piece of literature (redundancy i know), radio show, interview, quote, reality grid, world model, musical piece, or whatever else you can think of that would change my (me=16 year old naive suburban white boy) view of the world in the most drastic way, what would you choose?

Bella

To Kill A Mockingbird  by Harper Lee.
just like in a dream
you'll open your mouth to scream
and you won't make a sound

you can't believe your eyes
you can't believe your ears
you can't believe your friends
you can't believe you're here

Slarti

very interesting choice, i've already read it twice though. i really liked it, which is strange because i didn't think schools were allowed to assign good books as required reason. why'd you pick that?

BADGE OF HONOR

"The Preacher" comic books by...some dude.  Blood and theology and vampires?  Sweet.
The Jerk On Bike rolled his eyes and tossed the waffle back over his shoulder--before it struck the ground, a stout, disconcertingly monkey-like dog sprang into the air and snatched it, and began to masticate it--literally--for the sound it made was like a homonculus squatting on the floor muttering "masticate masticate masticate".

Bella

Quote from: Slartivery interesting choice, i've already read it twice though. i really liked it, which is strange because i didn't think schools were allowed to assign good books as required reason. why'd you pick that?
It changed my point of view when I was your age. And I still reread it every couple of years.
just like in a dream
you'll open your mouth to scream
and you won't make a sound

you can't believe your eyes
you can't believe your ears
you can't believe your friends
you can't believe you're here

Slarti

i liked it because it gave a nice look at a child forced to grow up too fast, having to grow up where issues like racism and all that were being thrown at her all the time.

Rev. St. Syn, KSC (Ret.)

Preacher - Garth Ennis. Awesome. :lol:
Synaptyclypse Generator Publishing Sect, POEE International Resource Center

Slarti

heh amazon gives that an interesting review,maybe i'll check it out.

Eldora, Oracle of Alchemy

Schindler's list, the movie.

It shows the best and the worst humans can be to each other.

edit: The Color Purple, the book

for the same reason.

A Nonny Mouse

If you really want to change your life, go visit Jamaica, not the tourist trap but the parts where people actually live.

Now picture the overwhelming majority of the world like that.

Anonymous

Quote from: A Nonny MouseIf you really want to change your life, go visit Jamaica, not the tourist trap but the parts where people actually live.

Now picture the overwhelming majority of the world like that.

or much worse

edit

BADGE OF HONOR

Titus, directed by Julie Taymor.  Anthony Hopkins' best performance, ever.  It'll blow the top off your head.
The Jerk On Bike rolled his eyes and tossed the waffle back over his shoulder--before it struck the ground, a stout, disconcertingly monkey-like dog sprang into the air and snatched it, and began to masticate it--literally--for the sound it made was like a homonculus squatting on the floor muttering "masticate masticate masticate".

Donkeyotay

listen to Frank Zappa

Eldora, Oracle of Alchemy

Quote from: Donkeyotaylisten to Frank Zappa
<Eric Cartman>
This movie has warped my fragile little mind
</Eric Cartman>
and that's what Zappa will do, so be sure to read his autobiography as well :D

the other anonymous

The Right to Feel Bad, by Lesley Hazleton, The Dial Press, 1984 (ISBN: 0-385-27684-2)

It's a book about depression -- pro-depression -- and was written before all of the politicized crap of the recent era yet after all of the wild musings of yester-year. (The hey-day of the early-to-mid eighties where psychologists were starting to get their act together, before the Liberals screwed everything up.) I'd have to say it changed my life inasmuch as [nightcourtquote]I'm feeling much better now[/nightcourtquote].