News:

Also, i dont think discordia attracts any more sociopaths than say, atheism or satanism.

Main Menu

Discordian Evangelism

Started by Cramulus, December 09, 2009, 02:53:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cain

Sounds like a good idea, so long as you stay away from the more counterculturally influenced papers and zines, since half of them seem to be run by people who, if not themselves Discordians, are at least passingly familiar with Discordianism.

hooplala

Quote from: Cain on December 10, 2009, 08:28:04 PM
Sounds like a good idea, so long as you stay away from the more counterculturally influenced papers and zines, since half of them seem to be run by people who, if not themselves Discordians, are at least passingly familiar with Discordianism.

Good thinking.
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

hooplala

I can't decide how the writer of the press release knows that it all comes to a head on Dec. 21 2012 though... any ideas?

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
— Walt Whitman

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Hoopla on December 10, 2009, 08:33:00 PM
I can't decide how the writer of the press release knows that it all comes to a head on Dec. 21 2012 though... any ideas?

See if you can 23 it or law of 5s it from the date of the bowling alley incident to 2012.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Cain

Daniel Pinchbeck claims to be the Prophet of Quetzocoatl and has said that is the date the world ends (by which he means, changes beyond recognition).  If you can somehow show that Quetzocoatl is Eris, or there is some link between them, or she is masquerading as him, then you're set.

Cramulus

Quote from: The Right Reverend Nigel on December 10, 2009, 01:22:50 AM
I'd like to see awareness of Discordia increased, but not using the name Discordia. I'd like to see it in the form of allusions to a shadowy, slightly menacing group of ne'er-do-well's and troublemakers under some other name, with another layer of intrigue under that, and another one under that, so that if people investigated long enough and peeled back all the layers they would find Merry Old Discordja underneath it all.

ooh, related
http://www.scribd.com/doc/19140863/There-Is-No-Discordian-Society

Cain

Who is this shadowy "vexati0n" who apparently uploaded this piece?

:?

Herbertina Merrique V

Quote from: Cramulus on December 11, 2009, 02:52:21 AM
Quote from: The Right Reverend Nigel on December 10, 2009, 01:22:50 AM
I'd like to see awareness of Discordia increased, but not using the name Discordia. I'd like to see it in the form of allusions to a shadowy, slightly menacing group of ne'er-do-well's and troublemakers under some other name, with another layer of intrigue under that, and another one under that, so that if people investigated long enough and peeled back all the layers they would find Merry Old Discordja underneath it all.

ooh, related
http://www.scribd.com/doc/19140863/There-Is-No-Discordian-Society

Ha, nice!

Summarizing this thread, perhaps, Discordian Evangelism shouldn't be evangelism as in telling people about Discordia/converting them, but rather giving them more opportunities and hints to find out about it, and create it themselves?
THE MORALE WILL CONTINUE UNTIL DISCORDIANS IMPROVE

Ask me anything. Or else.

Brotep

^Exactly, that's what Discovangelism is all about.

Quote from: Cain on December 10, 2009, 08:39:33 PM
Daniel Pinchbeck claims to be the Prophet of Quetzocoatl and has said that is the date the world ends (by which he means, changes beyond recognition).  If you can somehow show that Quetzocoatl is Eris, or there is some link between them, or she is masquerading as him, then you're set.

Tough one--it would be easier to conflate Tezcatlipoca with Eris.
Maybe some numerology?

LMNO

Perhaps you can use the fact that most people wouldn't know the difference between Quetzocoatl and Tezcatlipoca if it snuck up behind them and damned them to eternal torment.

hooplala

Quote from: LMNO on December 11, 2009, 04:52:42 PM
Perhaps you can use the fact that most people wouldn't know the difference between Quetzocoatl and Tezcatlipoca if it snuck up behind them and damned them to eternal torment.

This.

My aim is to craft it in such a manner that someone who is not completely asleep will see for what it is.  Yes, that one fails, but others will go through, at least hopefully.

"Do I contradict myself?
— Walt Whitman

Brotep

Spoken like a true Discovangelist.

Cait M. R.

I loled so hard at this.

It helps that I know too much about the dead religions of Central/South America.

Cramulus

I like the angle in which we vaguely allude to the Discordian Society and keep our fingers crossed that the creative, electric people will do the rest of the work.

I hope that people go forward and keep building up the conspiracy, putting clues out there for others to find.

But meanwhile, for my part....
Part of what started this thread was a re-reading of the Black Iron Prison. And I really like the message here:

http://www.principiadiscordia.com/bip/6.php

QuoteWHAT THE HELL ARE YOU READING?

A lot of us don’t really have it in us to go to great lengths to disguise the message any more.

Some of us can string together some loose metaphors, but for many, at this point, it’s just not worth the effort to dress things up, or the risk that one might not understand the point that we are trying to make.

The time has come for people to start thinking for themselves. Towing other people’s lines and doing other peoples bidding has not worked so far.

In fact, it's getting hard to avoid noticing just how messy this place has become, and the situation seems urgent enough for us not to hold back.

We want people to think for themselves, and we deliver this message with no good intention to the way things are currently being done on this planet.

We don't want nothing else.

We don't want memberships and we don’t want telephone numbers. We don't want our audience's undivided attention and we won't make moves on their girl. We don't want our audience to sell things. We don't want them to attend our meetings. There is nothing to memorize, and we don't need anybody to take an oath.

It has come to our attention that not many people really know what it means to look after themselves on the planet earth in the year 2007.

Call it a support group for the freedom-impaired.

People have a really short attention span. It gets shorter every year. Even the most creative and self aware people on the planet have places to go, people to see, a thousand pages sitting on their reading list. I don't want waiting for others to put the puzzle pieces together. Maybe I just don't have a lot of faith that anybody will. That's why I want to be explicit, that's why I want to be really direct. These people are already popes, they just don't know it yet. I found the Principia through random chance. It shook me up in ways that I'm still trying to understand. I don't want people to miss the signal because we're only whispering it, or only whispering part of it. The more leads we put out there, the better.  :mrgreen:

The Good Reverend Roger

Interesting angle.  Gotta think that one over, kick it around a bit.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.