News:

PD.com: promoting the nomadic, war-like and democratic lupine culture since 2002

Main Menu

Shut the fuck up.

Started by Mesozoic Mister Nigel, January 23, 2009, 06:39:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Murmur

Tolerable Terror for Toddlers Legionaire, Nixon Division™

"Onlookers will be horrified and amazed by the sheer volume of fluid."--TGRR

"SaraLee, I say unto you!  If ye have a cake and halve it, and then halve it yet again, you would have four quarters and yet still not have a dollar.  Eat of that cake, for it is cake which is NOT cake, which ye may have half a mind to have at a reasonable price, yet in indecision achieve satori with said stale Moon Pie.  That's what you get when YOU FUCK WITH US." - DOUR

Herbertina Merrique V

Quote from: Jenne on January 24, 2009, 05:46:05 AM
Quote from: Suu on January 24, 2009, 03:19:52 AM
Quote from: Herbertina Merrique V on January 23, 2009, 06:57:16 PM
Itteh bitteh mittehs. :mittens:

You summed up the main reason why I like to skip school to sit in front of the computer and ignore all those social activities where it's necessary to interfere with Normal People.

Or maybe I'm just a geek. ; _ ;

Protip: Skipping school isn't all that great of an idea. Those same assholes you're trying to avoid now will be there after you're done with school ANYWAY. Grin it, bear it, get educated, get empowered. That's the best advice I can give you.

Suu's riding a very FINE motorcycle, there.

Oh, it's not like I'm planning to end up as a drunk in a ditch with no education. The teachers don't care if I skip days, as I'd probably sleep through most of the lessons anyway - the thing is, there is nothing actually that they can teach me, and fortunately they know it. I learn stuff much better by myself, and taking days off doesn't affect my grades, the mean being 9,7 on a scale of 4-10.

This will probably change next autumn, when I'm not under compulsory education anymore. I might have to actually do something to keep my grades up. About time. It's rather frustrating to sit there listening to the basics of Swedish, which I have spoken fluently since I was five, or math that we probably already were taught last year, or historical events which I just happen to know of because I have a) interest in stuff, and b) teh intardwebs.

/sounding like an arrogant fucktard who thinks she knows everything worth knowing about absolutely anything. Sorry for that. But in my opinion, the education system here kind of sucks.
THE MORALE WILL CONTINUE UNTIL DISCORDIANS IMPROVE

Ask me anything. Or else.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

:mittens: Suu wins, and also so do you by knowing the materials so well you don't have to put up with ignorant schoolmate prattle. If you're so inclined perhaps you be among the fortunate ones.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Cain

If I may threadjack for the moment, in order to give helpful advice (well, I am whether you like it or not, I just wanted to be polite about it)

Herbertina,

I can sympathize with that position.  I basically didn't have to try until my final two years of University, through judicious topic choices and general annoying smart-arseness, a couple of topics aside.

What I would suggest is to use your time effectively to learn other things, while keep level on what you have to know.  Its boring, jumping through the hoops, I know. Especially when only a couple of others at best see the hoops at all.  But gaming the system gives you two of the greatest gifts ever: free time, and a pass from authority figures.

The former is of course highly useful.  If you already know your topics inside out, as you seem to, then you can start stacking up on more useful skills.  Whatever those skills may be.  I spent most of my later high school years reading books like The Art of War and A Book of Five Rings, reaching what was probably my physical peak as a human being and practicing how to manipulate people and pull off some excellent pranks and sabotage.  Of course, your interests may not run to such topics.  But with time, an internet connection (a very useful thing to have, and something I sadly lacked) and enough practice, you can master far more useful skills instead of getting bored and having to waste your time.

Secondly, if you know the stuff, put in the appearance of just enough effort to keep people off your back.  Don't go out of your way to antagonize them by ignoring them, stating what you really think of their class or by not doing the homework set.  But don't actually add any real effort beyond the necessary to keep this apperance up and gain the grades you want.  They'll know something is up, but their hands will be tied, especially by the disruptive students whose grades do suck, giving you more space from them to do as you please.

In short, if you have the drive, devise your own syllabus.  Its totally worth it.  Especially with the internet, you can get access to almost any sort of information.  You can also use your spare time to ramp up the levels of weirdness in your local community, via Operation:Mindfuck style actions.  As you probably know, we have a ton of material here, and if you have anything to add it will be recieved gratefully. 

I hope this is of use.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

My plan with my kids is to just send them to community college instead of high school. They can learn ALL FOUR YEARS of high school math in ONE FUCKING TERM, so why should they waste their time in high school spinning their wheels, only to be required to review everything relevant once they start college anyway? The teaching format in a small college like the local CC is a lot more conducive to actual learning, and not having to share a classroom with a bunch of twits who are only there because they have to be counts for a lot.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Suu

Quote from: Herbertina Merrique V on January 24, 2009, 10:46:08 AM
Quote from: Jenne on January 24, 2009, 05:46:05 AM
Quote from: Suu on January 24, 2009, 03:19:52 AM
Quote from: Herbertina Merrique V on January 23, 2009, 06:57:16 PM
Itteh bitteh mittehs. :mittens:

You summed up the main reason why I like to skip school to sit in front of the computer and ignore all those social activities where it's necessary to interfere with Normal People.

Or maybe I'm just a geek. ; _ ;

Protip: Skipping school isn't all that great of an idea. Those same assholes you're trying to avoid now will be there after you're done with school ANYWAY. Grin it, bear it, get educated, get empowered. That's the best advice I can give you.

Suu's riding a very FINE motorcycle, there.

Oh, it's not like I'm planning to end up as a drunk in a ditch with no education. The teachers don't care if I skip days, as I'd probably sleep through most of the lessons anyway - the thing is, there is nothing actually that they can teach me, and fortunately they know it. I learn stuff much better by myself, and taking days off doesn't affect my grades, the mean being 9,7 on a scale of 4-10.

This will probably change next autumn, when I'm not under compulsory education anymore. I might have to actually do something to keep my grades up. About time. It's rather frustrating to sit there listening to the basics of Swedish, which I have spoken fluently since I was five, or math that we probably already were taught last year, or historical events which I just happen to know of because I have a) interest in stuff, and b) teh intardwebs.

/sounding like an arrogant fucktard who thinks she knows everything worth knowing about absolutely anything. Sorry for that. But in my opinion, the education system here kind of sucks.

Please.

I went to school in Florida.

Besides, if you do in fact know everything worth knowing, get a fucking teaching degree and do something about your shitty system. Get kids to be as informed and adamant about knowledge as you are. As soon as I get the money I'm going back to school for history and secondary education. I want to turn a shitload of degenerate teenagers into history nerds, even if it means dressing in costume for certain chapters and making them collect sales receipts with totals that actually equal historical dates or years. There's ways to make learning fun, I just think that a lot of teachers today either A: Aren't allowed to have fun, B: Don't want to.
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

rong

Quote from: Suu on January 24, 2009, 08:45:54 PM
a lot of teachers today either A: Aren't allowed to have fun, B: Don't want to.

students will do that to you
"a real smart feller, he felt smart"

Vene

Quote from: Nigel on January 24, 2009, 08:34:42 PM
My plan with my kids is to just send them to community college instead of high school. They can learn ALL FOUR YEARS of high school math in ONE FUCKING TERM, so why should they waste their time in high school spinning their wheels, only to be required to review everything relevant once they start college anyway? The teaching format in a small college like the local CC is a lot more conducive to actual learning, and not having to share a classroom with a bunch of twits who are only there because they have to be counts for a lot.
I halfway did that.  My last 2 years of high school they sent me to the local college part time.  Highly recommended, especially when you get the school to pay for it.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Plus, my older kids' dad says that if either of them makes it to college by 15 he'll buy them a car.  :lulz:

Herbertina Merrique V

Cain: thank you for the advice. That is mostly what I've been doing for a few years. Reading, writing, stealing my brother's math books, learning skills from martial arts to scuba diving, practising mindfuck and just funny pranks, studying clever psychological things, developing my worldview, testing out different polyphasic sleep schedules, climbing radio masts. But yeah, admittedly I still do waste a lot of time just being bored, though I could use in more creative ways.

The appearance, well. What the teachers see is that I laugh a lot, remember to say good morning to them, have many happy goth friends, seldom say a rude word, am a slightly bohemian and funny-looking art-lover, but always Do My Homeworks, usually before they are even given.
They know that sometimes I sleep or read my own books on the lessons, but they also know that if I do, I have already done what they told me to do, for I am such a nice and diligent girl. Skipping school, well, they don't want to complain as long as I keep getting these grades and not disturbing the lessons.

Quote from: Suu on January 24, 2009, 08:45:54 PM
Besides, if you do in fact know everything worth knowing, get a fucking teaching degree and do something about your shitty system. Get kids to be as informed and adamant about knowledge as you are. As soon as I get the money I'm going back to school for history and secondary education. I want to turn a shitload of degenerate teenagers into history nerds, even if it means dressing in costume for certain chapters and making them collect sales receipts with totals that actually equal historical dates or years. There's ways to make learning fun, I just think that a lot of teachers today either A: Aren't allowed to have fun, B: Don't want to.

But... I don't have any interest in teaching kids, on a long run.
It could be awesome for them to have a teacher who makes them LARP Communists and plan their own World Wars, but it's nothing I want to spend much of my life doing.

Right now I'm leading a club for Cristian kids every week. I was bored one day and decided to try and get the job so I could test if it's possible to plant little seeds of Thinking into them before their parents manage to completely Christ them up. The church folks hired me, and I even get paid for it. :p I've been feeding them not-so-Christian messages and common herecy for months and no one has complained yet. Funny, because my Atheism is widely known here and many know that I do Strange Stuff, like roleplaying. But then again I always smile and look normal when they come to get their kids home, so I couldn't possibly be a wicked witch or a Discordian or anything.
THE MORALE WILL CONTINUE UNTIL DISCORDIANS IMPROVE

Ask me anything. Or else.

Suu

Quote from: Herbertina Merrique V on January 25, 2009, 03:33:18 PM

It could be awesome for them to have a teacher who makes them LARP Communists and plan their own World Wars, but it's nothing I want to spend much of my life doing.

I'm stealing that idea. Thanks!
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Cain

You sound like you've got it all down pretty well.  I thought you would do, you seemed to know what you were on about, but its always nice to make sure.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Herbertina Merrique V on January 25, 2009, 03:33:18 PM

Right now I'm leading a club for Cristian kids every week. I was bored one day and decided to try and get the job so I could test if it's possible to plant little seeds of Thinking into them before their parents manage to completely Christ them up. The church folks hired me, and I even get paid for it. :p I've been feeding them not-so-Christian messages and common herecy for months and no one has complained yet. Funny, because my Atheism is widely known here and many know that I do Strange Stuff, like roleplaying. But then again I always smile and look normal when they come to get their kids home, so I couldn't possibly be a wicked witch or a Discordian or anything.

THIS.

I've been hollering here about operating under the radar for 7 years now.  Glad to see someone else who sees the value in this.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Triple Zero

Quote from: Herbertina Merrique V on January 25, 2009, 03:33:18 PMRight now I'm leading a club for Cristian kids every week. I was bored one day and decided to try and get the job so I could test if it's possible to plant little seeds of Thinking into them before their parents manage to completely Christ them up. The church folks hired me, and I even get paid for it. :p I've been feeding them not-so-Christian messages and common herecy for months and no one has complained yet. Funny, because my Atheism is widely known here and many know that I do Strange Stuff, like roleplaying. But then again I always smile and look normal when they come to get their kids home, so I couldn't possibly be a wicked witch or a Discordian or anything.

:mittens:

good job
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Reginald Ret

Quote from: Cramulus on January 23, 2009, 07:26:53 PM
here's a tl;dr version of the OP:

this is my background now btw, i thought i already said that here, but either my memory is faulty or i am blind atm.
Lord Byron: "Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves."

Nigel saying the wisest words ever uttered: "It's just a suffix."

"The worst forum ever" "The most mediocre forum on the internet" "The dumbest forum on the internet" "The most retarded forum on the internet" "The lamest forum on the internet" "The coolest forum on the internet"