News:

If they treat education like a product, they can't very well bitch when you act like a consumer.

Main Menu

Random News Stories

Started by Thurnez Isa, December 29, 2006, 04:11:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cain

Yeah.  Them and Jews.

Europe is, as the article relates, doing fuck all about this.  America has at least imposed some measures....our failure to deal with Hungary should be a stain on the Union, if not for the fact there are now so many stains on the Union it's like one big stain at this point.

LMNO

American ignorance cropping up here: Is Hungary part of the EU? 

Cain

Yup, and NATO too.

Which is another reason we should be looking very suspiciously at Orban and his friendship with Putin. 

I think Israel, which has previously had good relations with Hungary, will also become concerned...especially if Jobbik are now in the coalition.  They've previously tolerated Orban, though not without a certain level of unofficial suspicion...but this could be a red line.  Jobbik are one of the best organised fascist groups in Europe, with strong links to Hungarian nationalist paramilitary groups.  Oh, and close links with Russia, of course.

I'm not saying we necessarily should be going all "colour-coded revolution" here...I'm just saying it wouldn't necessarily be a bad idea.

Cain

The Wizard Joseph

Quote from: Prince-of-Plots on March 20, 2015, 06:57:07 PM
lol Scott Walker

http://www.thenation.com/article/201817/these-republicans-want-take-away-your-weekend#

lol Party of Christianity

It's like they waited until Nigel left the country.

Walker is a tool, but an effective one in the hands of his Koched up masters.

Fuck him.
You can't get out backward.  You have to go forward to go back.. better press on! - Willie Wonka, PBUH

Life can be seen as a game with no reset button, no extra lives, and if the power goes out there is no restarting.  If that's all you see life as you are not long for this world, and never will get it.

"Ayn Rand never swung a hammer in her life and had serious dominance issues" - The Fountainhead

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimisation."
- Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality :lulz:

"You program the controller to do the thing, only it doesn't do the thing.  It does something else entirely, or nothing at all.  It's like voting."
- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

"It's not even chaos anymore. It's BANAL."
- Doktor Hamish Howl

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Cain on March 20, 2015, 06:57:07 PM
lol Scott Walker

http://www.thenation.com/article/201817/these-republicans-want-take-away-your-weekend#

lol Party of Christianity

Yeah, it lets workers choose to "voluntarily" waive their days off, like workers choose to "voluntarily" take below-living-wage jobs and "voluntarily" give up benefits like paid vacation, medical care, etc. I mean, all they have to do if they don't like it is find another job.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Demolition Squid

I hate April Fool's Day.

I am loving the Guardian Liveblog for the tone the guy running it is taking though:

QuoteThis is interesting. I just looked up 'April Fools' Day' in the dictionary. Look what it says:

noun [C usually singular] UK /ˌeɪ.prəlˈfuːlzˌdeɪ/ ( UK also All Fools' Day) US

› 1 April, a day when people play tricks on other people

› The single worst day of Stuart Heritage's life, when every single sodding PR worker in the whole poxy country tweets him at the same time to say 'Here's a badly-Photoshopped picture of a hat made of spoons or whatever, thought this might be fun for your liveblog LOLOLOL YOLO LOL' until he starts crapping his pants and puking up blood at the same time in anger.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/live/2015/apr/01/april-fools-day-jokes-2015-the-best-from-around-the-world
Vast and Roaring Nipplebeast from the Dawn of Soho

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I've never been a fan of the day, myself. That or St. Patrick's Day, which is essentially COMPLETELY MEANINGLESS TO ME and yet people always insist on trying to impose it on me, ie. "What, you aren't wearing green?" YEAH THAT'S BECAUSE I DON'T GIVE A FUCK, JUST TRY TO PINCH ME MOTHERFUCKER, TRY.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Reginald Ret

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on April 01, 2015, 03:35:14 PM
I've never been a fan of the day, myself. That or St. Patrick's Day, which is essentially COMPLETELY MEANINGLESS TO ME and yet people always insist on trying to impose it on me, ie. "What, you aren't wearing green?" YEAH THAT'S BECAUSE I DON'T GIVE A FUCK, JUST TRY TO PINCH ME MOTHERFUCKER, TRY.
:lol:
Lord Byron: "Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves."

Nigel saying the wisest words ever uttered: "It's just a suffix."

"The worst forum ever" "The most mediocre forum on the internet" "The dumbest forum on the internet" "The most retarded forum on the internet" "The lamest forum on the internet" "The coolest forum on the internet"

Doktor Howl

Molon Lube

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

jonb

Is it true news of the Icelandic Revolution has been Banned in America?

http://www.collective-evolution.com/2013/01/11/why-did-media-keep-the-recent-peaceful-icelandic-revolution-quiet/

Certainly in Britain there is very little coverage, but I heard news of it is banned in the states. Can anyone enlighten me?

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: jonb on April 08, 2015, 11:21:47 PM

http://www.collective-evolution.com/2013/01/11/why-did-media-keep-the-recent-peaceful-icelandic-revolution-quiet/

Certainly in Britain there is very little coverage, but I heard news of it is banned in the states. Can anyone enlighten me?

Try it on Facebook. They're super gullible there.

Reginald Ret

Quote from: jonb on April 08, 2015, 11:21:47 PM

What do you mean by Banned? I want a very specific and testable definition.

Also, no-one can enlighten you.
That is not a philosophical statement about self-enlightenment, I just think you are hopeless.
Lord Byron: "Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves."

Nigel saying the wisest words ever uttered: "It's just a suffix."

"The worst forum ever" "The most mediocre forum on the internet" "The dumbest forum on the internet" "The most retarded forum on the internet" "The lamest forum on the internet" "The coolest forum on the internet"

jonb

What me hopeless?

I'm very hopeful indead!

QuoteWho knew that the revolution would start with those radical Icelanders? It does, though. One Frosti Sigurjonsson, a lawmaker from the ruling Progress Party, issued a report today that suggests taking the power to create money away from commercial banks, and hand it to the central bank and, ultimately, Parliament.

Can't see commercial banks in the western world be too happy with this. They must be contemplating wiping the island nation off the map. If accepted in the Iceland parliament , the plan would change the game in a very radical way. It would be successful too, because there is no bigger scourge on our economies than commercial banks creating money and then securitizing and selling off the loans they just created the money (credit) with.

Everyone, with the possible exception of Paul Krugman, understands why this is a very sound idea. Agence France Presse reports:

Iceland Looks At Ending Boom And Bust With Radical Money Plan

Iceland's government is considering a revolutionary monetary proposal – removing the power of commercial banks to create money and handing it to the central bank. The proposal, which would be a turnaround in the history of modern finance, was part of a report written by a lawmaker from the ruling centrist Progress Party, Frosti Sigurjonsson, entitled "A better monetary system for Iceland".

"The findings will be an important contribution to the upcoming discussion, here and elsewhere, on money creation and monetary policy," Prime Minister Sigmundur David Gunnlaugsson said. The report, commissioned by the premier, is aimed at putting an end to a monetary system in place through a slew of financial crises, including the latest one in 2008.

According to a study by four central bankers, the country has had "over 20 instances of financial crises of different types" since 1875, with "six serious multiple financial crisis episodes occurring every 15 years on average". Mr Sigurjonsson said the problem each time arose from ballooning credit during a strong economic cycle.

He argued the central bank was unable to contain the credit boom, allowing inflation to rise and sparking exaggerated risk-taking and speculation, the threat of bank collapse and costly state interventions. In Iceland, as in other modern market economies, the central bank controls the creation of banknotes and coins but not the creation of all money, which occurs as soon as a commercial bank offers a line of credit. The central bank can only try to influence the money supply with its monetary policy tools.

Under the so-called Sovereign Money proposal, the country's central bank would become the only creator of money. "Crucially, the power to create money is kept separate from the power to decide how that new money is used," Mr Sigurjonsson wrote in the proposal. "As with the state budget, the parliament will debate the government's proposal for allocation of new money," he wrote.

Banks would continue to manage accounts and payments, and would serve as intermediaries between savers and lenders. Mr Sigurjonsson, a businessman and economist, was one of the masterminds behind Iceland's household debt relief programme launched in May 2014 and aimed at helping the many Icelanders whose finances were strangled by inflation-indexed mortgages signed before the 2008 financial crisis.
http://www.theautomaticearth.com/2015/03/iceland-to-take-back-the-power-to-create-money/

Or
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-SiYQ8s_6I

Or
http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2011/nov/15/lessons-from-iceland-people-power

Or it is talked about a bit in blogs but not as far as I know the main paper, is there a reason for this?
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wonkblog/wp/2015/04/02/iceland-has-a-radical-plan-to-redefine-money/

At the moment I am not seeking to define, I just would like to see other peoples perspectives.