News:

It's not laughter if you're just going through the muscle movements you remember from the times you actually gave a fuck.

Main Menu

Private Libertarian cities in Honduras not so funny anymore

Started by Cain, September 28, 2012, 08:09:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cain

Singapore has many advantages over Honduras, not least:

Education

Lets not forget, Honduras underwent a military coup only three years ago, and journalists still occasionally turn up dead when their reporting hits on sensitive issues (as do lawyers, as it turns out).  That alone is going to make investors nervous, since military coups tend not to be very respective of property rights and in country profits.  And frequently, neither are the revolutions that inevitably depose them.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: A Very Hairy Monkey In An Ill-Fitting Tunic on September 28, 2012, 07:19:52 PM
This is going to be spectacularly ugly and involve an incredible amount of exploitation of impoverished natives. As usual.

Not to mention the destruction of a few hundred thousand acres of (what is now) protected rainforest and wetlands.

Where I see the main friction is IF the tards actually get an economy going, the locals will flood the labor market.  The tards won't be able to do anything about it because, you know, free market. 

Locals get used as defacto slaves, settlers are out of work, hilarity ensues.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Cain on September 28, 2012, 07:22:19 PM
Singapore has many advantages over Honduras, not least:

Education

Lets not forget, Honduras underwent a military coup only three years ago, and journalists still occasionally turn up dead when their reporting hits on sensitive issues (as do lawyers, as it turns out).  That alone is going to make investors nervous, since military coups tend not to be very respective of property rights and in country profits.  And frequently, neither are the revolutions that inevitably depose them.

And that's what will happen, if the current government doesn't fuck 'em first.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on September 28, 2012, 07:24:12 PM
Quote from: A Very Hairy Monkey In An Ill-Fitting Tunic on September 28, 2012, 07:19:52 PM
This is going to be spectacularly ugly and involve an incredible amount of exploitation of impoverished natives. As usual.

Not to mention the destruction of a few hundred thousand acres of (what is now) protected rainforest and wetlands.

Where I see the main friction is IF the tards actually get an economy going, the locals will flood the labor market.  The tards won't be able to do anything about it because, you know, free market. 

Yeah, the most likely and predictable outcome is that their economies will collapse and they'll need to be bailed out, and Honduras will bail them out in exchange for annexing.

That's the best case scenario. Worst case scenario occurs if someone else bails them out.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: A Very Hairy Monkey In An Ill-Fitting Tunic on September 28, 2012, 09:35:53 PM

Yeah, the most likely and predictable outcome is that their economies will collapse and they'll need to be bailed out, and Honduras will bail them out in exchange for annexing.

That's the best case scenario. Worst case scenario occurs if someone else bails them out.

Worst case scenario is that nobody bails them out.

After all, "behavior sinks" are caused by population modified by isolated circumstances and available resources.

I see them descending to the level of beasts within 36 months.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on September 28, 2012, 09:40:38 PM
Quote from: A Very Hairy Monkey In An Ill-Fitting Tunic on September 28, 2012, 09:35:53 PM

After all, "behavior sinks" are caused by population modified by isolated circumstances and available resources.

Whoa now

You and I have different working definitions of "worst", I think.  :lulz:
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: A Very Hairy Monkey In An Ill-Fitting Tunic on September 28, 2012, 09:50:36 PM

Whoa now

I'm operating under the impression that at least some of these assholes will be bringing children with them.

BUT WAIT!  They're LIBERTARIANS, and thus doomed as far as breeding goes.  Never mind, carry on.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on September 28, 2012, 09:53:16 PM
Quote from: A Very Hairy Monkey In An Ill-Fitting Tunic on September 28, 2012, 09:50:36 PM

Whoa now

I'm operating under the impression that at least some of these assholes will be bringing children with them.

BUT WAIT!  They're LIBERTARIANS, and thus doomed as far as breeding goes.  Never mind, carry on.

Yep. :lulz:

If they self-destruct, the bright side is that they're freeing the world of some Libertarians.

On the other hand, in my prediction of a worst-case scenario, some other country that is not Honduras bails them out and then de facto owns the cities.

Honduras is unlikely to take that well.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: A Very Hairy Monkey In An Ill-Fitting Tunic on September 28, 2012, 10:00:43 PM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on September 28, 2012, 09:53:16 PM

Whoa now

Yep. :lulz:

If they self-destruct, the bright side is that they're freeing the world of some Libertarians.

On the other hand, in my prediction of a worst-case scenario, some other country that is not Honduras bails them out and then de facto owns the cities.

Honduras is unlikely to take that well.

Honduras is also powerless to do anything about it.

Other bright side:  No other nation will ever allow this to happen again.

Anna Mae Bollocks

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on September 28, 2012, 07:09:13 PM
It's not just that.  It's people running out into the jungle to build their utopia.  And we know what those are built on.  I'm not saying it should be stopped.  Freedom also includes the freedom to get killed in stupid ways.

Here's the problems I see:

1.  They will be at the mercy of the Honduran government, which may very well decide to nationalize the cities upon completion.  The cities will be completely helpless to prevent this.

2.  Environmental/resource issues as above.  Singapore's island chain geography and its extremely high value as a port make it feasible and worthwhile.  Nothing in Honduras mitigates these two problems.

3.  Given that they're libertarian, they won't have much use for taxation.  That means no police - or worse, pay police - meaning lawlessness.  This will get bad enough that they'll swing the other way, and go to a "temporary, emergency" police state.  It won't work.  End result:  City ruled by gangs, withers away, becomes the next Amazonia.

4.  Given that humans are social creatures, the conflict between the hard-core free market tards and the people who want some semblance of civilization will mean guaranteed factionalization, leading to ineffective means of dealing with problems as they arise.

Most importantly:

5.  The whole thing is fucking retarded.

Furthermore, it's a bunch of libertards living in a place called "the Department of Colon".
Scantily-Clad Inspector of Gigantic and Unnecessary Cashews, Texas Division