News:

Doing everything exactly opposite from "The Mainstream" is the same thing as doing everything exactly like "The Mainstream."  You're still using What Everyone Else is Doing as your primary point of reference.

Main Menu

List of reason not to take yourself/ the world to seriously

Started by glorfon, October 10, 2009, 12:46:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

The best reason not to take yourself or the world too seriously is that it makes you a giant douchebag.

Of course, sometimes being a giant douchebag is funny.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Rococo Modem Basilisk

Quote from: Nigel on October 12, 2009, 11:51:09 PM
The best reason not to take yourself or the world too seriously is that it makes you a giant douchebag.

Of course, sometimes being a giant douchebag is funny.

You calling me funny?!
  \\
:walken:

I am not "full of hate" as if I were some passive container. I am a generator of hate, and my rage is a renewable resource, like sunshine.

glorfon

Quote from: Doctor Rat Bastard on October 12, 2009, 11:00:30 PM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on October 12, 2009, 07:36:17 PM
God I'm so fucking old.    :sad:

I shoulda known nobody would get the reference.

I got it, but I am old too so...

I got it and I'm 18.  Fuck, that isn't old now, is it?

Dimocritus

Reason #11: Because you put your pance on one arm at a time like every one else.
HOUSE OF GABCab ~ "caecus plumbum caecus"

President Television

Quote from: dimo on October 13, 2009, 06:35:25 PM
Reason #11: Because you put your pance on one arm at a time like every one else.

Oh, the anatomy!
:asplode:
My shit list: Stephen Harper, anarchists that complain about taxes instead of institutionalized torture, those people walking, anyone who lets a single aspect of themselves define their entire personality, salesmen that don't smoke pipes, Fredericton New Brunswick, bigots, philosophy majors, my nemesis, pirates that don't do anything, criminals without class, sociopaths, narcissists, furries, juggalos, foes.

Freeky

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on October 12, 2009, 07:30:09 PM
Quote from: Triple Zero on October 12, 2009, 01:10:36 PM
Quote from: Requia ☣ on October 11, 2009, 01:22:37 AM
Your brain is basically the same at a rats, only grown to a ridiculous size

For a very superficial definition of "basically". In the same sense, your DNA is basically the same as that of a potatoe.

Dan Quayle?

:lulz:

Chief Uwachiquen

Dennis Leary has a great example from his No Cure For Cancer routine. "We kill the cows to make the leather jackets...then we kill each other for the leather jackets made from the cows."

I think the best example I can think of is one I learned from Psychology about Maslow's Hierarchy, or at least in that whole section of the class. It's a been studied that, once reaching a certain point of income, you'll be at the same level of happiness as anyone else in any other pay rate. Sure, an increase will make you excited for a while but then it'll stabilize again. And I more or less agree. I've never been in a family with a large disposable income or anything, but I've run the gamut from middle class to lower class to below poverty line. And, at least for me, as long as I've got the shit that I need to survive and a few superfluous things I'm good.

It helps me not take the world as seriously because, really, I know that the people with shitloads of money have just as many problems as I do, just different ones. And with some of the shit that I've heard about, I'm glad that my problems are money related and not the shit they deal with.

NotPublished

Here are a list of reasons -
I) God doesn't even want to know us
II) The world doesn't care.
V) I don't care
VI) If they don't care, why should I?

Of course, having problems is a normal part of being alive (The challenge, right?). It just takes a resolve, you can react with humour, you can react with bitterness... all in all - it doesn't matter. Its what is known best to the person.
In Soviet Russia, sins died for Jesus.

Rococo Modem Basilisk

Quote from: Chief Uwachiquen on December 22, 2009, 06:28:45 AMonce reaching a certain point of income, you'll be at the same level of happiness as anyone else in any other pay rate. Sure, an increase will make you excited for a while but then it'll stabilize again.

I try to tell people this, and they accuse me of being a communist.

I am not "full of hate" as if I were some passive container. I am a generator of hate, and my rage is a renewable resource, like sunshine.

Hangshai

also, taken from potato museum(the spud has his signature)

oh, and you shouldnt take life too seriously because if you do you may piss ofoff a lawyer and then THIS will happen to you...

All text and pictures uploaded by/to/from this person/account is/are purely fictional and for entertainment purposes only. Or not.

President Television

Quote from: Hangshai on December 22, 2009, 04:32:03 PM
oh, and you shouldnt take life too seriously because if you do you may piss of a lawyer and then THIS will happen to you...

:spittake:
My shit list: Stephen Harper, anarchists that complain about taxes instead of institutionalized torture, those people walking, anyone who lets a single aspect of themselves define their entire personality, salesmen that don't smoke pipes, Fredericton New Brunswick, bigots, philosophy majors, my nemesis, pirates that don't do anything, criminals without class, sociopaths, narcissists, furries, juggalos, foes.

Kaienne

Just because other people are doing it doesn't mean you have to.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on October 12, 2009, 07:40:17 PMThen I get too excited, and hobble around hooting unintelligible things from between my toothless gums.

There are times when you don't do this?
In a constant state of losing The Game.

phi

Your great ancestors were simple single celled organisms.
Quote from: Shrunkenheadspace on January 24, 2010, 03:44:12 AM
Only 41 more posts til Clue Jr!
Quote from: Turdley Burgleson on January 24, 2010, 05:43:57 AM
You're some kind of off-balancing piece of shit that just tears a hole in the whole god damned spectrum of life and creates a friggin mess out of everything.

Daego

The more questions you answer, the more confusing things become.

uhhh......hail eris?
Not Impressed, FuX uR peE

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Kaienne on December 23, 2009, 08:51:53 PM
Just because other people are doing it doesn't mean you have to.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on October 12, 2009, 07:40:17 PMThen I get too excited, and hobble around hooting unintelligible things from between my toothless gums.

There are times when you don't do this?

No.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.