News:

By the power of lulz, I, while living, have conquered the internets.

Main Menu

ITT, Holist demonstrates why his "English" is superior.

Started by Dildo Argentino, October 28, 2012, 10:55:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eater of Clowns

Very reminiscient of He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named.

Not that I've read either of their treatises - they just have similar looking blocks of text that I scroll past.
Quote from: Pippa Twiddleton on December 22, 2012, 01:06:36 AM
EoC, you are the bane of my existence.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 07, 2014, 01:18:23 AM
EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.

Mangrove

WARNING! THIS THREAD WILL BE MIRED IN CARTESIAN DUALISM IN 5...4...3...2...1!
What makes it so? Making it so is what makes it so.

Cain

Anna Mae Bollocks

Scantily-Clad Inspector of Gigantic and Unnecessary Cashews, Texas Division

Mangrove

What makes it so? Making it so is what makes it so.

Dildo Argentino

Quote from: chimes on November 03, 2012, 06:18:53 AM
Holist should do some reading (see listener guideline #4).

I'd love to, but could you recommend something less frightfully tedious and boring, please?
Not too keen on rigor, myself - reminds me of mortis

Dildo Argentino

Quote from: Mitt Romney's Favorite Wife on November 05, 2012, 02:05:39 PM
Won't help.  Holist is now here to show us what for, because we don't believe in homeopathy.

Well done, I am indeed here to do that.  :lulz:

You got the reason wrong, but don't fret, it's an inherent feature of the experimental design.

Dildo Argentino

Dildo Argentino

Quote from: East Coast Hustle on November 05, 2012, 05:23:37 PM
Holist, I have no dog in this fight and am, in fact, completely supportive of your efforts to turn yourself into a biped, but please realize how completely ridiculous you sound right now. It's OK to just admit to being wrong. It doesn't hurt and it might even garner you a modicum of respect.

I admit that "luck of the straw" is not an English idiom.

But I also maintain that I didn't claim it was. Not even when I instructed someone to google it. I did claim, and do claim, that it is a phrase that is completely understandable to competent native and non-native speakers, and that jumping on it was just a means of scoring tribal loyalty points.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: holist on November 09, 2012, 10:00:34 PM
Quote from: East Coast Hustle on November 05, 2012, 05:23:37 PM
Holist, I have no dog in this fight and am, in fact, completely supportive of your efforts to turn yourself into a biped, but please realize how completely ridiculous you sound right now. It's OK to just admit to being wrong. It doesn't hurt and it might even garner you a modicum of respect.

I admit that "luck of the straw" is not an English idiom.

But I also maintain that I didn't claim it was. Not even when I instructed someone to google it. I did claim, and do claim, that it is a phrase that is completely understandable to competent native and non-native speakers, and that jumping on it was just a means of scoring tribal loyalty points.

Oh, we all understood what you meant to say. It was just hilarious, within the context of your claim to speak English better than Native speakers. 

And you just can't stop racking up the self-ownage points.  :lulz: The scrambling to cover your ass is hilarious, please keep it up!
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Epimetheus

POST-SINGULARITY POCKET ORGASM TOAD OF RIGHTEOUSNESS

Dildo Argentino

Quote from: Mitt Romney's Favorite Wife on November 05, 2012, 07:17:43 PM
No wonder you keep getting divorced.  Just saying.

not even going to say anything

you objected to being "psychoanalysed"  :lulz: :lulz: :lulz:

larf oot loud

Dildo Argentino

Quote from: Secret Agent GARBO on November 05, 2012, 06:44:00 PM
:lulz: Your attempted psycho-analysis of Roger was hilarious. Honest-to-god hilarious. I'm glad I wasn't actually in class when I read it.
Also, you are indeed one note. It's ALL OF THE BUTTHURT! You are the song of Roger's people. That is it. Whenever you start to play something else (and you do, like your stupid homeopathy nonsense) you immediate devolve into a monophone once confronted.

Glad to have given you a laugh. You should read up on what psychoanalysis means, what I said about GTRR was just common sense.

Also, also, this board has a lot of native English speakers. Surely, if you weren't full of shit, one of us would have heard of your stupid idiom. No one has, not the North Americans nor the Eurospags nor the Upsidedown People. So, uh, I'm pretty sure that's a sign you're full of horse shit.

I am indeed full of horseshit. It is coming out my ears and my eyes in smallish chunks. Not pleasant. Ah, and my penis. However: the point is, and has been (shout packpedalling for all I care) that what I said was perfectly intelligible. It could be seen as a pun (poor or otherwise, I personally find it impossible to articulate why I find some puns wickedly and deeply funny, while others are boring) on an existing, well-known phrase, or it could be seen is a linguistic error made by a non-native speaker of English. Now I don't dispute that I probably make more of the errors usually made by non-native speakers (why should I dispute that? It makes sense.) But I don't make more mistakes, in general, than fairly competent native speakers. That's all I'd insist on, if I said otherwise, I was wrong, it was on account of the horseshit that occupies the space where my clever should be.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: holist on November 09, 2012, 10:43:36 PM
:lulz: Your attempted psycho-analysis of Roger was hilarious. Honest-to-god hilarious. I'm glad I wasn't actually in class when I read it.
Also, you are indeed one note. It's ALL OF THE BUTTHURT! You are the song of Roger's people. That is it. Whenever you start to play something else (and you do, like your stupid homeopathy nonsense) you immediate devolve into a monophone once confronted.

Glad to have given you a laugh. You should read up on what psychoanalysis means, what I said about GTRR was just common sense.

Also, also, this board has a lot of native English speakers. Surely, if you weren't full of shit, one of us would have heard of your stupid idiom. No one has, not the North Americans nor the Eurospags nor the Upsidedown People. So, uh, I'm pretty sure that's a sign you're full of horse shit.

I am indeed full of horseshit. It is coming out my ears and my eyes in smallish chunks. Not pleasant. Ah, and my penis. However: the point is, and has been (shout packpedalling for all I care) that what I said was perfectly intelligible. It could be seen as a pun (poor or otherwise, I personally find it impossible to articulate why I find some puns wickedly and deeply funny, while others are boring) on an existing, well-known phrase, or it could be seen is a linguistic error made by a non-native speaker of English. Now I don't dispute that I probably make more of the errors usually made by non-native speakers (why should I dispute that? It makes sense.) But I don't make more mistakes, in general, than fairly competent native speakers. That's all I'd insist on, if I said otherwise, I was wrong, it was on account of the horseshit that occupies the space where my clever should be.

Actually, I do believe that you made your cute little Engrish mistake while you were in the middle of insisting that your English is better than that of a native English speaker, which is what made it SO DAMN FUNNY. :lol:
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Dildo Argentino

Quote from: Doktor D. Jennifer Phox on November 05, 2012, 07:59:48 PM
Regardless, instead of saying, "No, I didn't mean "luck of the draw", I meant it as a sort of pun, in reference to [insert your choice of whatever you wanted to reference here]" You said "...just google it."
Perhaps you missed this, but I was experiencing (am still experiencing, actually) what I, poor misguided Eastern European bear what went to school with a picture of fucking Lenin recognised as Unreasonable HostilityTM, which made me react in a less than hospitable way. There is an old Hungarian saying that goes: The way 'hello' is, the way 'welcome' is. So kill me.

You also said that, no native speaker commands the entire lexicon, you seemed to be claiming that you did.

Actually, I don't think that I was. But if I were, it was because of the horseshit, which is causing me issues with my nipples, and I apologize profusely.

However, there seems to be a problem with ALL of your sources. Every instance seems to be a pun. The Washington Post article, is referencing the voting in the "straw poll". The "Luck of the Straw Day" seems to be a localized event akin to a Bingo Night, in which people draw straws to win prizes, the onlyreference that I can find to it is in a possibly fictional short story. The internet game you reference, seems to involve blowing bubbles in a drink through a straw. This means that my thought that you misinterpreted a pun as a turn of phrase is apparently accurate.

Yep. You got me there hands down, guv. I did a quick, cursory search of the phrase, saw some reputable sites use it and decided if it was good enough for them it was good enough for me. So sorry, I made a mistake there. As I have written elsewhere, in my half-hearted estimate of where the phrase "luck of the straw" resided on the scale between the firm favourite "luck of the draw"' and nonsensities such as "duck of the crow", "muck of the plough" or even "Chuck offa blow", I made a terrible mistake, which makes me an aspie or something. I forget.

Then what?

The problem with making that pun is that there is no context for it. Even if a native speaker made that very pun the way you did, they would no doubt have received the same treatment.

Maybe. Maybe not.

I find it quite disheartening that you seem to think that everyone is out to get you, regardless of consequence. That is simply not  the case. Your problem is that you seem to not realize that you have seemingly intentionally rubbed people the wrong way. Most of us would love to see you turn it around and becoming an actual contributing member. But if you continue to dig in your heels and screech at people when you are confronted with a mistake, then no one is going to have a positive reaction.

Thank you for that piece of unsolicited advice, unlike most of its kind, it is actually rather thoughtful. But I disagree with your view of what is actually going on here.