News:

PD.com: Living proof that just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

Main Menu

OPEN BAR: Now endorsed by Foodbabe!

Started by Dildo Argentino, October 27, 2014, 12:32:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LMNO

I'm experiencing some mahor cognitive dissonance, and since I know that it's happening, I'm having fun seeing my brain jump around and act all twitchy.

Basically, the sports team I've given my tribal allegience to has been accused of cheating, and there appears to be evidence to back it up.  Because I give weight to the concept of fairness, my morals are in conflict with my tribe.  It's really fascinating to see what's my mind's been doing.

• Deny that it even happened. "There's no way they could have had the opportunity."
    • Even if it did happen, it's not cheating because it wasn't utilized. "The game was won on the ground, and Brady had one of his worst passing games all season."
    • We didn't win by cheating, the other team lost by poor play. "Their defense sucked, and their offensive line was non-existent."

And in a very clever turnaround, pretending to appeal to fairness itself. "Did the officials check the other team's equipment too, or just ours?"

The thing is, I know how this works, and in all likelyhood even if they are found guilty of cheating, the emotional tribal affiliation will beat out the intellectual morality, and I'll go on being a fan.  Brains are weird.

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on January 21, 2015, 01:00:32 PM
    I'm experiencing some mahor cognitive dissonance, and since I know that it's happening, I'm having fun seeing my brain jump around and act all twitchy.

Basically, the sports team I've given my tribal allegience to has been accused of cheating, and there appears to be evidence to back it up.  Because I give weight to the concept of fairness, my morals are in conflict with my tribe.  It's really fascinating to see what's my mind's been doing.

• Deny that it even happened. "There's no way they could have had the opportunity."
    • Even if it did happen, it's not cheating because it wasn't utilized. "The game was won on the ground, and Brady had one of his worst passing games all season."
    • We didn't win by cheating, the other team lost by poor play. "Their defense sucked, and their offensive line was non-existent."

And in a very clever turnaround, pretending to appeal to fairness itself. "Did the officials check the other team's equipment too, or just ours?"

The thing is, I know how this works, and in all likelyhood even if they are found guilty of cheating, the emotional tribal affiliation will beat out the intellectual morality, and I'll go on being a fan.  Brains are weird.

At the end of the day, it's just a bunch of dudes in plastic armor running on a field.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Nephew Twiddleton

My minister friend is a Colts fan, and he hates the Pats, and he was like, "the Colts would have been using the same balls. I just like saying that the Pats have deflated balls"

Also, it's the Pats. They're the Yankees of football.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

LMNO

Quote from: Nepos twiddletonis on January 21, 2015, 01:04:40 PM
At the end of the day, it's just a bunch of dudes in plastic armor running on a field.

Ah, yes, I forgot the part where I dismiss the whole thing.  That's a tactic, as well.  Shuts down the morality side, leaves the tribal side alone.

Quote from: Nepos twiddletonis on January 21, 2015, 01:07:13 PM
My minister friend is a Colts fan, and he hates the Pats, and he was like, "the Colts would have been using the same balls. I just like saying that the Pats have deflated balls"

Also, it's the Pats. They're the Yankees of football.

But they don't.  Each team has their own set of balls.  <giggle>

hooplala

Quote from: Nepos twiddletonis on January 21, 2015, 01:04:40 PM

This is where I fall on this issue too.
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

LMNO

The difference here is that I made an emotional commitment to "my" team. 

I feel about hockey, much of baseball, and soccer the way you do about football, because I haven't really invested emotionally.  It wouldn't be cognitive dissonance if I didn't give a shit.

Eater of Clowns

It is a strange feeling. Do I think it's irrational to think they're cheating with so little indication or am I just a being a fan?

We aren't cut out for this sport, LMNO.
Quote from: Pippa Twiddleton on December 22, 2012, 01:06:36 AM
EoC, you are the bane of my existence.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 07, 2014, 01:18:23 AM
EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.

LMNO

This must be what a conservative feels like every time the Trickle Down theory is disproved.

Eater of Clowns

Hey is anyone here still on Twitter? I made a new one so I have a spot I can spam horrible shit that my family probably doesn't want to see.

Last night's live tweeting of the State of the Union was surprisingly fun.

@eaterofclowns (SHOCKING)
Quote from: Pippa Twiddleton on December 22, 2012, 01:06:36 AM
EoC, you are the bane of my existence.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 07, 2014, 01:18:23 AM
EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.

hooplala

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on January 21, 2015, 01:36:18 PM

I feel about hockey, much of baseball, and soccer the way you do about football, because I haven't really invested emotionally.  It wouldn't be cognitive dissonance if I didn't give a shit.

I didn't mean to imply that I didn't find it interesting that you were able to distance yourself from your reactions and observe them, I do.  I would like to have that sort of response to my initial reactions.
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

LMNO

That post of mine may have come off harsher than intended.  I think I've got a handle on things, now.  Since the NFL is still investigating to see what may have happened, the issue can safely be tucked away into a "maybe" state for now.

Also, for a laugh I checked FB, and read the comments.  Wow.  There are a lot of people flailing their arms around and screeching.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Cain on January 21, 2015, 08:11:11 AM
Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on January 21, 2015, 12:58:34 AM
Quote from: Cain on January 20, 2015, 08:19:02 PM
LMNO, to make up for a lack of Twitch availability (also as a test for upload speed - 10 minutes to upload, 25 to process.  Is pretty good)  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6M9Sf668aHw&feature=youtu.be

Aw, man, you aren't talking in this one.

Perhaps this is mildly creepy, but I mostly play your videos to listen to you talk.  :lol:

Yeah, sorry.  That was just some footage I had lying around.  Going to try and do some actual recording today.

Sweet!
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Your level of self-awareness and capability for introspection are two of the things I admire most about you.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

On a completely different note, one of the most spectacular sunrises I've ever seen is doing down right now. That usually means there's a forest fire, but it's entirely the wrong time of year for a forest fire.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on January 21, 2015, 01:36:18 PM

Ultimately, you will be able to file it away under the "they made a mistake but everything is fixed now" rationalization.