News:

The characteristic feature of the loser is to bemoan, in general terms, mankind's flaws, biases, contradictions and irrationality-without exploiting them for fun and profit

Main Menu

ATTN: Literary spags

Started by Verbal Mike, October 04, 2008, 01:56:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Verbal Mike

I need to choose courses for University. I will be studying English Language and Literature this year (because there was no room in Linguistics), so first of all I need to choose a literary analysis course, and I've heard of almost none of the pieces to be studies. So HALP ME PLZ. Which of these pieces would you guys recommend?

1101-2a          Übung: Introduction to Literary Analysis

Poems:           John Donne, P.B. Shelley, D.H. Auden
Play:            Joe Orton, Entertaining Mr. Sloane
Short Fiction:   Katherine Mansfield, "The Garden Party"
Novel:           Jean Rhys, Wide Sargasso Sea

1101-2b/2c       Übung: Introduction to Literary Analysis

Poems:           John Donne, William Blake, Ted Hughes
Play:            Samuel Beckett, Waiting for Godot
Short Fiction:   Virginia Woolf, "Kew Gardens"
Novel:           Jeanette Winterson, Oranges Are Not the Only Fruit

1101-2d          Übung: Introduction to Literary Analysis

Poems:           John Donne, Alfred Lord Tennyson, Lavinia Greenlaw
Play:              Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead
Short Fiction:   Katherine Mansfield, "The Daughters of the Late Colonel"
Novel:           Muriel Spark, The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie

1101-2e          Übung: Introduction to Literary Analysis

Poems:           J. Keats, W.H. Auden, S. Heaney
Play:               John Arden, Sergeant Musgrave's Dance
Short Fiction: Rudyard Kipling, "The Judgement of Dungara"
Novel:           Ian McEwan, The Cement Garden

1101-2f           Übung: Introduction to Literary Analysis

Poems:           Thomas Chatterton, Alfred Tennyson, W.H. Auden
Play:            Oscar Wilde, An Ideal Husband
Short Fiction:   E.M. Forster, "The Machine Stops"
Novel:           Margaret Atwood, The Handmaid`s Tale

1101-2g         Übung: Introduction to Literary Analysis

Poems:         Christopher Marlowe, John Donne, Samuel T. Coleridge
Play:          Tom Stoppard, The Real Inspector Hound
Short Fiction: Roald Dahl, "Lamb to the Slaughter"
Novel:         Graham Swift, Waterland

More to come later! I NEED YER HALP!
Unless stated otherwise, feel free to copy or reproduce any text I post anywhere and any way you like. I will never throw a hissy-fit over it, promise.

Cain

I would recommend the b/c or d course, personally.  None are totally fantastic, but those two would seem to have the best plays, at least, and some decent poetry.

Honey

William Blake!  Waiting for Godot.  Rudyard Kipling.  Oscar Wilde.  The Handmaid`s Tale.  Roald Dahl.

Just realized this is probably not helping :sad: so sorry, not such a great selection, is it?

Fuck the status quo!

The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure & the intelligent are full of doubt.
-Bertrand Russell

Verbal Mike

I think I'm gonna take d, since I saw the Rosencrantz movie so I at least have some idea of what's going on in that one.

New question, unrelated to literature: I have to choose one module from outside my own major, and though I hope to get one of the basic Linguistics modules in (and thus save me a whole module this semester next year) I have to give my first four choices. There are two interesting ones in Political Sciences and I want to choose one. One is called Knowledge and Power (Wissen und Macht) and the other is called Control and Risk (Kontrolle und Risiko). Which sounds likelier to be interesting and useful?

It looks like my course load for this semester is ridiculous. My major only requires two lecture and two seminars, plus one optional tutorial, per week. That's one module. So only half of my course load for this semester is actually within my major. This is awesome, but I'll try and ask about getting another module in there, might end up taking both first-semester Linguistics modules, giving me a whole semester next year to just mess around.
Unless stated otherwise, feel free to copy or reproduce any text I post anywhere and any way you like. I will never throw a hissy-fit over it, promise.

Verbal Mike

Lol I forgot I have to take one "key qualification" module too, so only a third of my course load is actually about English Language and Culture.