News:

Several times a month, I will be in a store aisle reaching for something and feel a hand going up the inside of my thigh. When I turn around to find myself alone with a woman, and ask her if she would prefer me to hold still so she can get a better feel for the situation, oftentimes she will act "shocked" claiming nothing had happened, it must be somebody else...

Main Menu

Half-page images

Started by Q. G. Pennyworth, January 18, 2012, 05:21:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Don Coyote

Q. G. Pennyworth

Quote from: Placid Dingo on February 09, 2012, 10:45:06 PM
Get onto me when you have a chance to put all these in one place (flickr gallery, pdf etc) so I can add them to my discordian works collection page.
I could send you the whole pdf, but I don't think all the fonts will embed

ñͤͣ̄ͦ̌̑͗͊͛͂͗ ̸̨̨̣̺̼̣̜͙͈͕̮̊̈́̈͂͛̽͊ͭ̓͆ͅé ̰̓̓́ͯ́́͞

YOU'RE OUT OF CONTROL, GOGIRA!

Quote from: Queen_Gogira on February 09, 2012, 11:13:42 PM
Quote from: Placid Dingo on February 09, 2012, 10:45:06 PM
Get onto me when you have a chance to put all these in one place (flickr gallery, pdf etc) so I can add them to my discordian works collection page.
I could send you the whole pdf, but I don't think all the fonts will embed

Convert them to outlines before exporting the PDF.

Or, flatten the image, depending on what program you're using.
P E R   A S P E R A   A D   A S T R A

Q. G. Pennyworth

indesign. I'd have to do the whole thing as jpgs

Quote from: Queen_Gogira on February 10, 2012, 12:10:30 AM
indesign. I'd have to do the whole thing as jpgs

Negatory.

Select all the boxes your type is in.

Go to Type > Create Outlines.

Export your PDF.

Save your InDesign file as "...Outlines" so you don't accidentally save over your editable type version.

Q. G. Pennyworth

Does that work across multiple pages? Because this thing is like 86 long

Quote from: Queen_Gogira on February 10, 2012, 12:35:54 AM
Does that work across multiple pages? Because this thing is like 86 long

Not in one fell swoop, I don't think.

But these keyboard shortcuts make the task quite quick, even for that many pages.

(command) + (A)

then

(command) + (shift) + (O)

for each page. Should only take a few minutes before all 86 pages are done.

If you do this, remember to save the InDesign file as "blah blah blah - outlines" because you can't convert type back into its editable form. I've saved over my original files before and had to rebuild them, see....

(edited for clarity)

Q. G. Pennyworth

https://rapidshare.com/files/3804242823/Holy_Nonsense-Outline.pdf

WHAT THIS IS NOT

• small
  • ready for publishing
  • properly cited
  • properly cleared for CC/K/Public Domain content and art
  • finished
  • for critics

In particular, there's a four page section that's nearly illegible that's based on some older mythology I was writing and I'm pretty self conscious about. Also, five pages tied up in reprinting the Subnormality comic "The Line" which I'm pretty positive is copyrighted all to hell. This was designed as a project for personal use, hence the flippant attitude towards intellectual property. If people want to use things in a more public way, please let me know which page you're considering so I can make sure everything's kosher.

or halal, whatever.

Can't wait to download this when I get home.

Placid Dingo

Awesome!

QG, if you're not completely happy that everything's complete, I can hold off linking you up.

Otherwise I'll attach you soon.
Haven't paid rent since 2014 with ONE WEIRD TRICK.

Q. G. Pennyworth

Quote from: Placid Dingo on February 10, 2012, 09:06:59 AM
Awesome!

QG, if you're not completely happy that everything's complete, I can hold off linking you up.

Otherwise I'll attach you soon.
It's definitely not ready to go up anywhere, but I can pull out whatever pages people like and get them cleared for publishing and into a separate pdf or something.

Triple Zero

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that Indesign has in the "Export to PDF" dialog box, or maybe in the "Export PDF Settings" (?) screen, an option that says to convert fonts (glyphs?) to outlines, or to convert just non-embeddable fonts to outlines even. So that you don't have to specify it for every text box. I'm pretty sure I always did that.

Alternatively, whether a font is embeddable or not, is a matter of ONE BIT in the .ttf or .otf or whatnot file. I once had some commandline ttf tweaking tool that could flip it. I forgot what it's called. It did mention that you should not do it if you were doing it in order to embed a font. But IMO it's kind of ridiculous how the "font" can not be embedded (because it's technically a piece of software for purposes of copyright) while its outlines can be embedded (because they're merely the output of this software), I know they can contain all sorts of complex kerning rules (though a LUT is hardly software IMO) but then it's pretty obvious most of QG's fonts do not :)
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Cramulus

Gojira! You rule! I am now convinced that you are bringing some skillz to the table that we, as a group interested in producing new discordian works, are in need of. These look gorgeous. I like how each page is a full visual package. This rocks!

Quote from: Triple Zero on February 10, 2012, 01:57:55 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that Indesign has in the "Export to PDF" dialog box, or maybe in the "Export PDF Settings" (?) screen, an option that says to convert fonts (glyphs?) to outlines, or to convert just non-embeddable fonts to outlines even. So that you don't have to specify it for every text box. I'm pretty sure I always did that.

I have CS3 and haven't encountered it. You must have a shiny, new InDesign.

For a highly detailed geek-out about creating outlines and other typographic wankery involving InDesign, click here. I created a new thread in Techmology and Scientism so QG won't chomp my head off and slurp my guts out through my neck.

Triple Zero

I've used several versions but I don't believe the newest one was newer than CS3. It's been a long time since I used InDesign so I could be wrong. All I know is that there were two entries in the File menu, one for actually exporting the PDF and another for configuring the settings to do so. I thought the option to convert to outlines was in the latter. But again, I could be wrong, or maybe thinking of some different similar option.
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.