News:

Yeah, fuckface! Get ready to be beaten down. Grrr! Internet ain't so safe now is it motherfucker! Shit just got real! Bam!

Main Menu

Friend with Paranoid Schizophrenia

Started by QueenThera, October 30, 2014, 09:52:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

QueenThera

I go to group therapy since I'm a reclusive Aspergers person. Recently, a paranoid schizophrenic has been coming there. Now, unlike the rest of the group, including the nice therapist, I know what he is referring to most of the time, from Annunaki to Coruscant to chakras to reptilian humanoids. But...he's very obviously ill, and he has a big boner for Fox News-type crap and the end of the world, which he believes he'll be in charge of.

So, I ask you people... How far should I humor his beliefs, and around when should I cut him off and say he is obviously full of shit? He has said I'm the reincarnation of Hitler, and has, evidently, said he would like to rape somebody. Boy's horny and Republican.

I mean, if I ask anyone else, I think the answer would be "Tell him the world works like everyone in school and your local non-denominational church says it does, and don't humor any of it" but I am pretty sure the world has room for people who believe in Flying Spaghetti Monsters and Time Cube.

....if none of that made sense, please tell me what confuses, and I'll respond. I'm chatty that way.
Often incoherent. Tends to ramble on about various topics.
Hopes to get beyond that.

Formerly BrotherPrickle

The Johnny

Its not ethical to fuel his deliriums, simple as that. On the other hand, its harsh to confront them and tell them they are wrong or actively disproving them, it will only make them feel bad without accomplishing anything.
<<My image in some places, is of a monster of some kind who wants to pull a string and manipulate people. Nothing could be further from the truth. People are manipulated; I just want them to be manipulated more effectively.>>

-B.F. Skinner

Pope Pixie Pickle

the wanting to rape someone is problematic as all fuck. Danger to others. Does the therapist know about that? if not I' let them know.

Junkenstein

Quote from: Pope Pixie Pickle on October 30, 2014, 10:04:00 PM
the wanting to rape someone is problematic as all fuck. Danger to others. Does the therapist know about that? if not I' let them know.

Yeah that. Seriously, you don't want that on your conscience.

I would suggest not humouring him at all, as far as you can help it. I understand you may want to empathise because you're familiar with the references but I doubt this is really helping him get a grip on consensus reality.

You've said it yourself, that man is ill. If you want to be a decent human being then make sure he's taking his medication (Presumably required by the sound of it) and try and keep him away from any Alex Jones kind of crap.
Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

Doktor Howl

I am unable to respond to this because of your avatar.
Molon Lube

Q. G. Pennyworth

Bare minimum line is the danger to self or others (which saying he wants to rape people is definitely over). Other than that, I wouldn't touch it with a hundred foot pole, but I have a tenuous grip on my own sanity and I'd like to hang onto it.

Pope Pixie Pickle

I'm usually the first to kick of when people with psychosis are labelled dangerous in a broad brush sort of way.

but that guy sounds SCARY. And should probably e on some kind of treatment order if he's spouting off about hitler and rape.

having had psychosis in the past and a sister with similar issues. you never "humour" the delusion.

QueenThera

Quote from: Pope Pixie Pickle on October 30, 2014, 10:04:00 PM
She knows. He said it at a previous meeting I was not there for.

I actually let her know my worries about him from before he said that, when he was going on about how he was destined to marry this female member of our group. Since, well, tumblr has me convinced no Republican understands what consent is.

Formerly BrotherPrickle

QueenThera

Quote from: Doktor Howl on October 30, 2014, 10:24:04 PM
I uh. I registered for this forum years and years ago. I had this artpiece done for me by request in a 4chan thread, and...I kinda liked the coloring another person did for it.

Sorry that ponies bug you.

Formerly BrotherPrickle

Doktor Howl

Quote from: BrotherPrickle on October 31, 2014, 12:05:13 AM
I uh. I registered for this forum years and years ago. I had this artpiece done for me by request in a 4chan thread, and...I kinda liked the coloring another person did for it.

Lots of shit bugs me.  Bronies, though, are in a class all their own.
Molon Lube

QueenThera

Quote from: Doktor Howl on October 31, 2014, 12:06:24 AM

I am not going to defend the reprehensible people in that fandom. I am not obsessed with the identity. I just like the show, and maybe enjoy things most right-thinking right-wing Americans would find horrible. I'd like to think I'm better than most of them, but that's just me being narcissistic.

Formerly BrotherPrickle

Doktor Howl

Quote from: BrotherPrickle on October 31, 2014, 12:13:28 AM

I am not going to defend the reprehensible people in that fandom. I am not obsessed with the identity. I just like the show, and maybe enjoy things most right-thinking right-wing Americans would find horrible. I'd like to think I'm better than most of them, but that's just me being narcissistic.

A bronie is a bronie.
Molon Lube

The Johnny

Quote from: BrotherPrickle on October 31, 2014, 12:13:28 AM

Im sure most bronies would say this. Why depreceate what you are? BRONIES STAND PROUD :fnord:
<<My image in some places, is of a monster of some kind who wants to pull a string and manipulate people. Nothing could be further from the truth. People are manipulated; I just want them to be manipulated more effectively.>>

-B.F. Skinner

xXRon_Paul_42016Xxx(weed)

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I don't give any fucks about your avatar, so I'm just gonna say, don't engage with that guy, inasmuch as you can help it. He sounds dangerous, and you likely can't help him, so stay away.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."