News:

PD.com: can increase your susceptibility to cancer, dementia, heart disease, diabetes, influenza, rheumatoid arthritis, lupus - even the common cold.

Main Menu

I need your help guys ;D

Started by cris, September 05, 2012, 01:04:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cris

I was wondering if its possible to get rid of the majority of every negative human emotion ever.
I know for sure that I got rid of depression and anger, but can I take others down with it?

Plus, I'm still young and I'm not old and depressed like you guys ;D

AFK

Well, no, because emotions are part of being human; the good AND the bad.

The name of the game is balance and self-regulation.  It isn't healthy to bottle sadness or anger when it is an appropriate natural response to an event or phenomenon.  By that same token, it isn't healthy to wallow in horror and woe.

And I'm old AND as fucking happy as can be. 
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

cris

Quote from: Rev. What's-His-Name? on September 05, 2012, 01:21:57 AM

The name of the game is balance and self-regulation.  It isn't healthy to bottle sadness or anger when it is an appropriate natural response to an event or phenomenon.  By that same token, it isn't healthy to wallow in horror and woe.

That's the golden rule im trying to break! Fuck the balance! Humans dont actually NEED to be sad or angry, and either way it doesnt satisfy any needs whatsoever! In fact, I dont even want to be human anymore! I want to go BEYOND HUMAN, and this is the way im gonna do it ;D

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: cris on September 05, 2012, 01:04:37 AM
I was wondering if its possible to get rid of the majority of every negative human emotion ever.
I know for sure that I got rid of depression and anger, but can I take others down with it?

Maybe...but WHY?
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: cris on September 05, 2012, 01:46:27 AM

That's the golden rule im trying to break! Fuck the balance! Humans dont actually NEED to be sad or angry,

:crankey:

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

A.N. Other

That's the golden rule im trying to break! Fuck the balance! Humans dont actually NEED to be sad or angry, and either way it doesnt satisfy any needs whatsoever! In fact, I dont even want to be human anymore! I want to go BEYOND HUMAN, and this is the way im gonna do it ;D

Why this assumption that emotions are positive or negative at all? And even if it were the case, wouldn't going beyond human require to move past all human emotion?
"Wow, for an asshole, everyone loves you, honey." -My wife

AFK

Of course there is no "beyond human". 
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

cris

Quote from: A.N. Other on September 05, 2012, 02:09:44 AM

Why this assumption that emotions are positive or negative at all?

The positive one are the ones I like and the negative ones are the ones I dont like ;D

Nephew Twiddleton

Human suffering is a necessary part of our character. We were shaped by evolution. We became what we are out of struggle. Problems lead to progress.

Besides that as a musician, I have to say all the best music comes partially out of anger and sadness. Otherwise all the stuff you write is really irritating pop music about love and how awesome life is. You know what that sounds suspiciously like? Christian music. And who the fuck wants to listen to that shit?
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

A.N. Other

Quote from: cris on September 05, 2012, 02:22:32 AM

The positive one are the ones I like and the negative ones are the ones I dont like ;D

That's all very well and good to tell me how you define positive and negative. This does not tell me why.

And, as Rev. What's-His-Name? said, there isn't anything "beyond human." We don't have any dogs that are beyond dogs or cars beyond cars. Changing temperament doesn't make one better or superhuman. If that's the case, the Stoics have us beat by years.
"Wow, for an asshole, everyone loves you, honey." -My wife

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: A.N. Other on September 05, 2012, 03:39:03 AM

That's all very well and good to tell me how you define positive and negative. This does not tell me why.

And, as Rev. What's-His-Name? said, there isn't anything "beyond human." We don't have any dogs that are beyond dogs or cars beyond cars. Changing temperament doesn't make one better or superhuman. If that's the case, the Stoics have us beat by years.

BALLS.

I am beyond human...and I hope YOU are, too!

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: cris on September 05, 2012, 01:04:37 AM

Nope.

All negative human emotions are part of our survival repertoire.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Placid Dingo

Quote from: A.N. Other on September 05, 2012, 03:39:03 AM

Read Seneca's letters to a stoic.

I'm onto the 100th or so, and can safely say I'm completely immunised against stoicism

As a general comment, the emotions aren't inherently good or bad but you can develop a better control of how they impact your life. And should, otherwise, you know. Burger rage.
Haven't paid rent since 2014 with ONE WEIRD TRICK.

Faust

All emotion is negative emotion, surrender yourself to logic.
Sleepless nights at the chateau

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Faust on September 05, 2012, 09:29:32 AM
All emotion is negative emotion, surrender yourself to logic.

We shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender...
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS