News:

PD.com: We're not actually discordians

Main Menu

OPEN BAR: Now endorsed by Foodbabe!

Started by Dildo Argentino, October 27, 2014, 12:32:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LMNO

It would be easy to go down the "we would have won anyway, haters gonna hate" route, but I'm pondering if I should try and change my feelings about the tribe if it turns out they're culpable.

Though that would make things tricky in the Alphapants household.  Mrs LMNO is a huge fan.  Perhaps the most effective way of dealing with cognitive dissonance is, "My wife would get pissed at me otherwise. Let this one go."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

:lulz: I just read a Reddit thread on this issue. First of all, all the articles I've seen refer to "weighing" the balls, which makes very little sense. Second, one of the Redditors, in response to questions of whether changes in temperature and atmospheric pressure could have effected the pressure in the balls, made the statement "higher pressure = more air, therefore it weighs more".
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Underinflating sounds like a really stupid thing to do. If that's what happened, this is a bad decision for the books!
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Roly Poly Oly-Garch

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on January 21, 2015, 01:00:32 PM
    I'm experiencing some mahor cognitive dissonance, and since I know that it's happening, I'm having fun seeing my brain jump around and act all twitchy.

Basically, the sports team I've given my tribal allegience to has been accused of cheating, and there appears to be evidence to back it up.  Because I give weight to the concept of fairness, my morals are in conflict with my tribe.  It's really fascinating to see what's my mind's been doing.

• Deny that it even happened. "There's no way they could have had the opportunity."
    • Even if it did happen, it's not cheating because it wasn't utilized. "The game was won on the ground, and Brady had one of his worst passing games all season."
    • We didn't win by cheating, the other team lost by poor play. "Their defense sucked, and their offensive line was non-existent."

And in a very clever turnaround, pretending to appeal to fairness itself. "Did the officials check the other team's equipment too, or just ours?"

The thing is, I know how this works, and in all likelyhood even if they are found guilty of cheating, the emotional tribal affiliation will beat out the intellectual morality, and I'll go on being a fan.  Brains are weird.

You forgot "if you're not cheating, you're not trying." And "Everybody's doing it. The Pat's are just under a bigger magnifying glass."

Also, the Pats are the Pats. Bellichick is just *a* coach among the many coaches, players, staff, fans, etc...the team has had...

^^^That's the one I use when the Broncos occasionally let a player like Romanowski slide.
Back to the fecal matter in the pool

Cain

Eater of Clowns

Quote from: Hoopla on January 21, 2015, 01:32:27 PM
Quote from: Nepos twiddletonis on January 21, 2015, 01:04:40 PM
    I'm experiencing some mahor cognitive dissonance, and since I know that it's happening, I'm having fun seeing my brain jump around and act all twitchy.

Basically, the sports team I've given my tribal allegience to has been accused of cheating, and there appears to be evidence to back it up.  Because I give weight to the concept of fairness, my morals are in conflict with my tribe.  It's really fascinating to see what's my mind's been doing.

• Deny that it even happened. "There's no way they could have had the opportunity."
    • Even if it did happen, it's not cheating because it wasn't utilized. "The game was won on the ground, and Brady had one of his worst passing games all season."
    • We didn't win by cheating, the other team lost by poor play. "Their defense sucked, and their offensive line was non-existent."

And in a very clever turnaround, pretending to appeal to fairness itself. "Did the officials check the other team's equipment too, or just ours?"

The thing is, I know how this works, and in all likelyhood even if they are found guilty of cheating, the emotional tribal affiliation will beat out the intellectual morality, and I'll go on being a fan.  Brains are weird.

At the end of the day, it's just a bunch of dudes in plastic armor running on a field.

This is where I fall on this issue too.

I JUST FEEL LIKE WHEN WE'RE ALL HURTLING TOWARD OBLVION BOTH INDIVIDUALLY AND, FURTHER ALONG, AS A SPECIES, WHY DO WE BOTHER DOING ANYTHING AT ALL
Quote from: Pippa Twiddleton on December 22, 2012, 01:06:36 AM
EoC, you are the bane of my existence.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 07, 2014, 01:18:23 AM
EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.

President Television

Quote from: Eater of Clowns on January 21, 2015, 09:08:19 PM

At the end of the day, it's just a bunch of dudes in plastic armor running on a field.

I JUST FEEL LIKE WHEN WE'RE ALL HURTLING TOWARD OBLVION BOTH INDIVIDUALLY AND, FURTHER ALONG, AS A SPECIES, WHY DO WE BOTHER DOING ANYTHING AT ALL
When you put it that way, why wouldn't we give a shit about football? If anything we care about is a distraction, distraction becomes the single most important thing there is.
My shit list: Stephen Harper, anarchists that complain about taxes instead of institutionalized torture, those people walking, anyone who lets a single aspect of themselves define their entire personality, salesmen that don't smoke pipes, Fredericton New Brunswick, bigots, philosophy majors, my nemesis, pirates that don't do anything, criminals without class, sociopaths, narcissists, furries, juggalos, foes.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Eater of Clowns on January 21, 2015, 09:08:19 PM

:lol:

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

EK WAFFLR

"At first I lifted weights.  But then I asked myself, 'why not people?'  Now everyone runs for the fjord when they see me."

Horribly Oscillating Assbasket of Deliciousness
[/b]

Doktor Howl

If I had a time machine, I would go back 2 million years to the Olduvai Gorge and hunt monkeys until I disappeared.
Molon Lube

rong

I had a dream that I was on a school bus and some friends were trying to figure out how long it would take to get to some island by boat. 

they were like, "it's this far in this direction and this far in that direction, so it should be . . . umm"

then I was like, "the problem is that you're not thinking one-dimensionally"

then george takei turned around and high-fived me and we started talking about those ear bugs that khan put in chekov's ear.
"a real smart feller, he felt smart"

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: rong on January 22, 2015, 04:58:34 AM
I had a dream that I was on a school bus and some friends were trying to figure out how long it would take to get to some island by boat. 

they were like, "it's this far in this direction and this far in that direction, so it should be . . . umm"

then I was like, "the problem is that you're not thinking one-dimensionally"

then george takei turned around and high-fived me and we started talking about those ear bugs that khan put in chekov's ear.

Weirdly, that sounds a lot like my day today.

Faust

On Facebook, I've taken A good cartoons approach to wind Robert Dobbs up in discordian society 2014, it might not be all that funny, but if he is going to post misogynistic shit Ad nauseam I am going to bore him to death with this Gimmick. We'll see who runs out of nauseam first. If anyone else wants to chime in do.
Sleepless nights at the chateau

LMNO