News:

We can't help you...in fact, we're part of the problem.

Main Menu

Regarding The Calendar: What happened to weekends? I really want to know.

Started by 06gforty, May 18, 2009, 09:33:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

06gforty

There are only five days. Are they 24 hours long? presumably not...

AFK

Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Cramulus

Quote from: 06gforty on May 18, 2009, 09:33:33 PM

why not a 24 hour day? there's 365 of them

except on leap year

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Weekends are a Con by the Man. Everyday should be a day free of the eight hour grind... weekends however, compartmentalize the week into Work/Not Work times for the majority of people. This is a False Duality.
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

06gforty

Quote from: Cramulus on May 18, 2009, 09:54:33 PM
Quote from: 06gforty on May 18, 2009, 09:33:33 PM

why not a 24 hour day? there's 365 of them

except on leap year

This means that...Oh. Weeks don't exist. I get it. Thanks, People. And yes, I do know of the law of 5's. But cheers.

Verbal Mike

For a while (incidentally around when I first arrived here) I managed my work (self-unemployed, if you will) using that calendar, and set a couple of arbitrary no-work and no-paid-work days for myself... The rhythm of it was actually way more natural to me than the 7-day rhythm, but it turned out it was impractical to live on a separate calendar from the rest of the world (duhhh)
Unless stated otherwise, feel free to copy or reproduce any text I post anywhere and any way you like. I will never throw a hissy-fit over it, promise.

Crazzee

Quote from: VERB` on May 18, 2009, 10:25:31 PM
For a while (incidentally around when I first arrived here) I managed my work (self-unemployed, if you will) using that calendar, and set a couple of arbitrary no-work and no-paid-work days for myself... The rhythm of it was actually way more natural to me than the 7-day rhythm, but it turned out it was impractical to live on a separate calendar from the rest of the world (duhhh)
Living on both calendars works quite well. I can't do what you did, though, because I'm just a simple school child, y'know.
>_>

Triple Zero

Basically, you take 1,2,3,4 or 5 days off from the discordian week, depending on how much you want to work.

It's not really that hard.

And what do you mean "weeks don't exist" ?
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

AFK

I think the problem is that he(?) is using the traditional calendar to try to understand the Discordian calendar.

That because the Discordian calendar doesn't have 7 day weeks there are no weeks.  When of course the more obvious answer is, well duh, the weeks are 5 days.  And that means there aren't 52 weeks, there are 73.  It's just different math, is all. 

06gforty

Quote from: Rev. What's-His-Name? on May 19, 2009, 12:00:39 PM
I think the problem is that he(?) is using the traditional calendar to try to understand the Discordian calendar.

That because the Discordian calendar doesn't have 7 day weeks there are no weeks.  When of course the more obvious answer is, well duh, the weeks are 5 days.  And that means there aren't 52 weeks, there are 73.  It's just different math, is all. 

Thanks for clearing it up, again. So how there's still 24  hours in a day?
And yeah, I did use the gregorian.

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: 06gforty on May 19, 2009, 06:30:10 PM

23 hours, fifty-nine minutes and 55 seconds... plus an extra 5 seconds for the law of fives.
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

AFK

Because while the Discordian Calendar is neat, it wasn't so ground breaking that it altered the Earth's rotation on its axis. 

LMNO

Quote from: Rev. What's-His-Name? on May 19, 2009, 06:37:10 PM

Because while the Discordian Calendar is neat, it wasn't so ground breaking that it altered the Earth's rotation on its axis. 

:mittens:

Triple Zero

Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

hooplala

"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman